Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry Scalp

• 14-01-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

I have an ongoing problem with dry scalp. It's definitely not dandruff but it's really noticable when I wear anything black and there are lots of tiny white specks all over the back. It's mortifying and I think people must think I'm skanky :o

I'm absolutely fed up of it and want get rid of it for good. I always use good shampoos from salons. At the moment I'm using one from Aveda which is supposed to be specifically for treating dry scalp. I've been using it for a month now and there's been no improvement. :mad:

Has anyone any advice or tips on what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have an ongoing problem with dry scalp. It's definitely not dandruff but it's really noticable when I wear anything black and there are lots of tiny white specks all over the back.

That *is* dandruff.

Have you tried T-gel or VO5 hot oil? Hot oil is great for the scalp!
    Oh and make sure you're only using a small amount of shampoo. Using a lot will dry out your scalp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

You can hardly say it's dandruff when you can't see her head!

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair-problems/scalp_problems.htm

For dry scalps, deep conditioning treatments are meant to improve the situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

you could use a deep conditioner. By any chance do you use hair spray sometimes thats the culprit of white flakes on backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

I suffer from this too...what I normally do is warm some olive oil in the microwave and massage it into my scalp.Put a hot towel on my head and let it absorb for about 10 mins and then rinse it out. I didnt have time to do it last night and Im already covered in little white flakes :(hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

There are many causes of dry scalp, and it may well be a symptom of something else.....diet, weather, alcohol, coffee, yeast are just a few things that have an effect on it- I really think a visit to the doctor would be a good first step if you want to treat the cause as opposed to the symptom..other than that, shampoos containing coal-tar which you get from the Chemist can be useful in some cases but can be expensive, and don't always work...if it is a recent occurance, it may well be anything from stress to diet...if it has been ongoing, it may still be stress/diet or indeed something else...doctor is the only person that can really tell you, and this might be trial and error...i.e eliminate coffee/wine etc from diet and monitor improvement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

*Angel* wrote: »
    You can hardly say it's dandruff when you can't see her head!

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair-problems/scalp_problems.htm

For dry scalps, deep conditioning treatments are meant to improve the situation!

Well, she said she gets scalp fakes on her shoulders - that IS dandruff and should be treated as such by using an appropriate treatment/shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shifers

I used to have this as well How Strange and it's definitely not dandruff. If yours is anything like mine, you can't wash your hair at night cos your scalp goes really tight so you can't sleep on it, plus you wish you could just find a scalp moisturiser. :-( Haven't had it for a few years though with the right shampoo.

I've used various shampoos over the years, most of which have since been discontinued. :-( I don't suppose it was Scalp Benefits you were using from Aveda? I tried it and found it rubbish, still have half the bottle in the bathroom.

Anyway, the current 3 I would recommend for you are:
    Kerastase Dermo-Calm Bain Riche Haute Tolerance (am currently using this one),
    Kerastase Dermo-Calm Bain Vital Haute Tolerance
    or
    Philip Kingsley Flaky Itchy Scalp Shampoo
    One name is more obviously less subtle than the others! ;-)

Here are links to the products, though I find larger sizes cheaper on eBay, but I think you need to sample shampoos first and see if they suit you. You could walk into most salons and pick up the Kerastase.
    http://eu.strawberrynet.com/haircare/kerastase/kerastase-dermo-calm-bain-vital/91392/#DETAIL
    http://www.hqhair.com/hair/philip-kingsley/flaky-itchy-scalp-shampoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

eth0_ wrote: »
    Well, she said she gets scalp fakes on her shoulders - that IS dandruff and should be treated as such by using an appropriate treatment/shampoo.
    eth0 perhaps it is dandruff but they're only tiny specks and not flakes. I always associate dandruff with big flakes.

I'm doing a month of clean living and I'm two weeks into it at the moment so I'm hoping that will help clear it up.

Alcohol definitely makes it worse.

I'll try the oil treatment and see how it works. I'll also check out the kerastase shampoo in peter marks.

Thanks for all the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

The Aveda Scalp Remedy Shampoo? I used to recommend that all the time, I got that for my dad who has psorias on his scalp and it worked a treat.

Anyway, silly question, are you rinsing your hair properly?

Here's a tip to try, when you have finished shampooing your hair before you put the condtioner in, "shampoo" your head again as in use the motions you would when washing your hair, it should help loosen any dry skin up, then rinse it, then condtion it and make sure you give your hair another good rinse.

The Aveda Scalp Remedy Shampoo? I used to recommend that all the time, I got that for my dad who has psorias on his scalp and it worked a treat.
    Yep have been using it for about a month and have seen no improvement :(

I'll do that tip about rinsing before putting in my conditionner. I'll try anything at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

Yep have been using it for about a month and have seen no improvement :(

I'll do that tip about rinsing before putting in my conditionner. I'll try anything at this stage!

Ah that's a disappointment.:( It was one of my favourites. Have your tried Nuetrogena T-gel?
    I hope you get something sorted for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I had the same problem. You should try Nizoral shampoo. You can get it in the pharmacy and it is very effective. My GP recommended it it to me and it is the only one that i tried that was really effective!

http://www.epinions.com/review/Nizoral_Anti_Dandruff_Shampoo/content_228216639108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeast and too much wheat in your diet can be a cause in a lot of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 *Sapphira*

I am in the same boat, I have a really dry scalp 2. Mines really itchy tho too and can sometimes take the form of little spots or something. I have tried tgel and a couple other dry scalp shampoos. Got so fed up I went 2the doctor he told me 2use betacap (no luck) and now I'm using a thing called cocois but that's not even helped. Its so frustrating, I jus can't find a solution! Sorry about my rant not very helpful but hopefully u will have better luck than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

*Sapphira* wrote: »
    I am in the same boat, I have a really dry scalp 2. Mines really itchy tho too and can sometimes take the form of little spots or something. I have tried tgel and a couple other dry scalp shampoos. Got so fed up I went 2the doctor he told me 2use betacap (no luck) and now I'm using a thing called cocois but that's not even helped. Its so frustrating, I jus can't find a solution! Sorry about my rant not very helpful but hopefully u will have better luck than me!
    Why dont you try nizoral(not sure if spelling is correct!:confused:) its brilliant you get it in chemists and its about 15€ but is definitely worth it:D

Thanks again! Ok, I'll get some nizoral over the weekend and try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thanks again! Ok, I'll get some nizoral over the weekend and try it out.

Are you washing/conditioning every day?

Using things like nizoral will start to build up after a few weeks.

Get a T-gel/nizoral/tea tree oil treatment.

Rotate the usage between them all and don't use them every day.

Give yourself plenty of time and leave them in for a few minutes and make sure you rinse _reall_ well

Use a moisture rich conditioner and again avoid using it everyday.

People tend to see a slight change at the start and then it slows off and they give up on a product.

in some cases it can take a few months for things like T-gel to really work, but when it does you use it less and less.

Drink plenty of water throughout the day and avoid heavy drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Have you tried the Biolage by Matrix range for dry scalps, lots of hairdressers stock it. It's very much about using natural ingredients and its fairly cheap too, about €10 for a shampoo or conditioner. They also do treatments in packs of 5 that are the same as the ones you get done in the salon, I've always found them great for that tight itchy scalp feeling especially if you find colouring your hair makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 amc156

I had a similar problem to this a few years ago and after trying numerous anti-dandruff shampoos which felt really harsh on my scalp and made my hair really dry I started using the Boots Expert shampoo for dry scalps. It has worked really well for me ever since and only costs about 4 euro, they also often have a 3 for 2 offer on it. Any time I'm forced to use 'normal' shampoo my flakes come back instantly. Also, keeping conditioner away from my scalp definately helps as it seems to aggrevate the problem further.
    Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

*Sapphira* wrote: »

I also have this sometimes.does anyone know a product i could use .it actually only happens on the back of my head.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    I also have this sometimes.does anyone know a product i could use .it actually only happens on the back of my head.
    Have you tried nizoral? its medicated and used to only be available with a prescription but now you can buy it off the shelf in any chemist. i really think its the best. Another poster has commented that it can build up in your hair but i don't think so, it actually doesn't even form much of a lather. I really think you should try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

susanroth wrote: »
    Have you tried nizoral? its medicated and used to only be available with a prescription but now you can buy it off the shelf in any chemist. i really think its the best. Another poster has commented that it can build up in your hair but i don't think so, it actually doesn't even form much of a lather. I really think you should try it.

yeah i have it doesnt make a difference

So you've pretty much tried all of them. Thats annoying:( Could it be something in your diet? have you been to the doctor about it?
    I really don't know anything else to reccommend. I've put stuff like coconut oil and olive oil in my scalp overnight as well for moisture. i've also tried the tar shampoo but that didn't really help much, nizoral was only thing that worked so im disappointed for you as i know what its like to have skin problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BrianBrennan_

Hi

I had this problem, but dosn't sound as bad as yours:eek:.

But as you know the wheater is "obhisaly" rotten in Ireland. When ever I go out on holiday's to the heat it completely goes away:D

So I came up with the conclusion that it's caused from a lack of vitinem D.

Tomorow i am going to purchase orange juice with vitinem D and will see how it works.

Also another thing I think is a problem is i used not to wash my hair often. maybe sometimes i would go two weeks, and when i would wash it, it would be completely cleared up.

From Brian:)

Advertisement