Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in the US

• 14-01-2010 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey guys, I'm in 6th year at the moment and I'm thinking that for uni I'd prefer to study abroad. Do any of you know what procedure I'd have to go through to get a place in an American university as well as any visas i would need.Also do you know of any scholarships or grants available that would reduce the cost.Looking at the costs of college over there it doesn't seem likely I could go unless I manage to get a reduced fee and this is probably all just wishful thinking but none the less if there was any way I'd be very interested.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It is possible as an international student but it's extremely tough to get funding. As an out-of-state student, you'd be paying extremely heavy fees.
    Try here

That said, if you plan on doing a PHD, it's a lot easier to get financial aid in the US.
    You could also apply to a college with a strong study abroad program. Many offer a year in a US university as part of your degree.

If you want to look at studying abroad somewhere affordable, there's always Scotland or contintental Europe.
    What do you plan on studying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

A lad at home just got a doctors degree from a university in the states.
    He managed to get some sort of grant from the uni over there to pay for it.
    He didn't have enough points to get into a medical degree here.

I'm just posting this so you know this sort of thing is possible , I think this lads had a large extended family in the states and got them all involved in helping him to get the course.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

American medschools are postgrad though aren't they?

My old man had a few students who went off to the US for postgrads. Getting in on an undergrad is certainly possible but fairly tough. Getting financial aid as a postgrad is a lot easier (it seems most colleges give PHD students tuition waivers and living stipends in exchange for teaching assistantships)

Advertisement