Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance - Is it worth haggling?

• 14-01-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi I received a quote for renewal of my car insurance.
    I'm not happy with it as I expected it to be reduced, I have shopped
    around and it seems to be pretty decent considering what some of
    the other companies are quoting. I was told that my premium didn't come down
    due to the rise in insurance rates or something .
    They said they try to be the most competitive and to call back if I
    could get a better rate from someone else, I'm just wondering is it worth calling and saying I have received a quote for a hundred euro cheaper and seeing what reaction I get or will they then just ask for some sort of reference or the company name so they can check it out for themselves?

If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it as times are tough!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are wise to the bluffed other quote. They are well aware what the others are quoting. If you can find a cheaper quote though, they generally will match it. I was quoted 1000 by axa. Came down to alittle over 700 by just querying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I'd try it. When mine was up I told Axa that Hibernian were €200 cheaper even though I never rang Hibernian! Axa reduced it by €200!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

I just change from quinn direct to AXA and saved about €300!! I got my renewal quote from Quinn and wasn't happy with it so the other day on my lunch break I called into the AXA branch in Limerick city. I spent a while with the girl there and she got me the best deal possible due to the fact that I already have my vintage car insured with them but also because I live with my girlfriend and she's with them too, we got a discount on that. I felt I wouldn't have got as good a deal if I had just gone online. Definitely call into places. They seem to give you more time than if you just ring around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

I certainly did, was with 123 got a renewal quote for 663 which was the best with others (Hib, Brittons, Axa, Quinn, Eaglestar, FBD, AA and a few brokers) at least €700+ for comparable benefits and terms. Told them FBD had offered me a quote of €572 (just bluffing obviously) and a week before renewal last week, 123 waived their administration fee and brought it down to €570.58!

Its certainly worth a shot.. AA did claim to beat other quotes if you fax them a copy of the quote, but imho its all bluster..:rolleyes:

reb73 wrote: »
    .. AA did claim to beat other quotes if you fax them a copy of the quote, but imho its all bluster..:rolleyes:

Got that crap off the AA too, told them what quote I had, was about €150 cheaper than them. They said it may not be comapravle cover, I said it's third part f&t with windscreen cover and protected NCB, your man said the protected NCB wouldn't be as good as the AAs, apparently you can have huge claims with the AA, I told him I didn't see that being worth €150 more, the funny thing is I asked him did the AA quote include breakdown cover, no he says but you can BUY that off us. They're not in the real world at all the AA, just bluster as said above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

reb73 wrote: »
    I certainly did, was with 123 got a renewal quote for 663 which was the best with others (Hib, Brittons, Axa, Quinn, Eaglestar, FBD, AA and a few brokers) at least €700+ for comparable benefits and terms. Told them FBD had offered me a quote of €572 (just bluffing obviously) and a week before renewal last week, 123 waived their administration fee and brought it down to €570.58!

Its certainly worth a shot.. AA did claim to beat other quotes if you fax them a copy of the quote, but imho its all bluster..:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, was hoping to hear something like this, will give it a go, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'm with axa, i'll be ringin them in the mornin, insurance is around 700, just got a quote off quinn for 411

doesnt make sence

Advertisement