Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppies(warning:rant)

Options
  • 14-01-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

I have just taken my dogs out for a walk and a neighbours kids came over as usual to give them a cuddle. She then proceeded to tell me how they were getting rid of their dog of 18 months or so, because it barks and won't do as its told. This dog has been outside since the day they got it, alone in the garden, the little girl (7 or 8yrs)brought her out for the first few weeks on fine days but then that stopped. The mother has told me herself that she doesn't like pets and has no interest in the dog, they are now getting a new puppy like my dog because she's cute and does as she's told!
    I really can't believe it, and yes I have had many conversations with them about the dog and my two. I even showed the little girl how to get her pup to sit and walk beside her. The only consolation is they have called a rescue about re-homing the dog, so at least I know it will be found a home and not just disappear like a couple of others around here recently.

Like the Golden cocker that lived in the front garden, never allowed into the house, fed bags of chips and whatever they threw out. He was "got rid of"(I asked was he rehomed and was told no just got rid of) last week as the woman got given a 5 week old(don't even get me started on that one) shih tzu "baby" for christmas by her new boyfriend.

Or the house with the 7 or 8 dogs that always have a puppy or two but I rarely see the same dogs there for long. They roam around all day and are always hungry.
    I have reported this and been told that they have a shed and water and aren't starving just a bit thin, so nothing can be done. The family are not approachable, and quite aggressive. Just like their dogs.

I read the thread about the pups in animal welfare and heard a couple of other stories this week, and I really wonder about people at times like this.
    We really need more education in this country and some legislation about animal welfare.

Apologies for the rant, guess its just a bad day and needed to vent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

If a dog is left all alone in the garden 24/7 then it will start barking uncontrolable and will be disobediant. Even if the dog had another dog to play with for a few hours a day this wouldnt happen because the dog has some company which the dog needs and also needs to be walked at least three times a a week which is'nt much but is better than not walking the dog at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have neightbours like this. They have 3 dogs, one Jack Russell and 2 lab mix sisters. The two bigger dogs they got about 5 years ago and they have never been walked, ever!! This boggles my mind, one of the perks of owning a dog to me is walking it! They bark contantly, so bad that I had to move my bedroom from the back of my house to the front to get some sleep ( I work shift ). The only time they see anyone is when they are fed once a day, they are fenced off in a 2 metre by 4 metre pen and pace this like a lion in the zoo. The Jack Russell is kept in the house most of the time, it also is never walk and howls the house down when it is left alone. Why on earth would people get a dog and treat it like this, what's the point in having them, they obviously have no interest in them, ironically enough though if the dogs were to die tomorrow they would replace them with a new pup only to repeat the cycle again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mymo wrote: »
    The mother has told me herself that she doesn't like pets and has no interest in the dog, they are now getting a new puppy like my dog because she's cute and does as she's told!
    Did you explain to the mother that the puppy is going to end up being exactly the same?
    The only consolation is they have called a rescue about re-homing the dog
    Maybe contact that rescue yourself to give them a heads up. Many people contact the rescues either with sob stories about how they've run out of money or claiming that they "found" the dog, to avoid having to pay out. They don't see why they should pay a rescue to take their dog. (I heard a great story about a woman who contacted the DSPCA and expected them to give her €300 for the purebred she wanted to surrender!).

If the person handling the surrender knows that the family plan on getting a puppy, then at the very least they could talk to the family about it and advise them not to, or educate them at least.
    lrushe wrote: »
    Why on earth would people get a dog and treat it like this, what's the point in having them, they obviously have no interest in them, ironically enough though if the dogs were to die tomorrow they would replace them with a new pup only to repeat the cycle again :(
    Contact your local SCPA. As I've said in another thread, this is not the nuclear option - the SPCA will call in and discuss the welfare of the animals with the house owner, they only go for seizing the animals as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Seamus: Did you explain to the mother that the puppy is going to end up being exactly the same?

I have explained many times that the reason my dogs are quiet and obedient is that I spend a lot of time training them to be like that, Walk them 3 or 4 times a day and they live in the house and are part of the family. I also told them I spend about an hour in the evening brushing my dogs as they are long haired breeds and prone to matting.
    But all I get is their family have had dogs all their lives and know how to look after them.
    They also have a tom cat they refuse to neuter as he's to old(about 3yrs) and won't live much longer(their words) so not worth it.
    I know any new pup will end up the same as soon as the novelty wears off.
    You cannot change people like this, I decided to try and put them off wanting a pup by reminding them about toilet training and chewing and hard work involved, every chance I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

I've heard of similar stories - usually involving a cute little puppy that grows into a monster of a dog sizewise and the family put it out the back so they don't have to deal with it. Then (if the dog is lucky) they rehome it and get something smaller and cuter.

I lived with a young family for a short period of time in my early teens. They got a beautiful ball of fluff that happened to be a husky crossed with a gsd. Amazing looking pup and the family were all very happy to cuddle the wee thing until the mother noticed a worm and left it out the back. Obviously hadn't a clue about puppies and hadn't brought the pup to a vet. The dog lived on scraps and was so desperate for attention that as soon as anyone went outside it was jumping all over them. Within a couple of months the dog was HUGE and wild because it hadn't been trained and had never been brought out for a walk. I used to sneak it out at night for walks just to give a little bit of freedom but I could barely manage her. Anyway, I went home and didn't hear from them again for years but they got rid of her as soon as they could and got another dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement