Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running OS off SSD

Options
  • 14-01-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Just wondering if anyone has done a build where they use a SSD to run the OS & programs/games with a HDD for all other downloads/pictures/videos etc and how you find it? Worth the initial expense of a SSD?

Kaos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Just wondering if anyone has done a build where they use a SSD to run the OS & programs/games with a HDD for all other downloads/pictures/videos etc and how you find it? Worth the initial expense of a SSD?

Kaos

32GB drives very affordable now (€120 for a good drive),You will notice a big difference over running any speed mechanical drives.The main difference will be everything will open in an instant,because of the 0.1 millisecond where 10000RPM drives are in the 6.5 Ms area in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Kaos
    It was worth it, I have an Intel X25 M 80GB Gen 2. I have my OS and like 2 games I want to load super fast on the SSD.

I use a 500GB Caviar Black for my other games/programs. And some old 250GB HDD for music.

It was a pricey upgrade, but I'm glad I did it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

+1. fantastic and everything on the OS loads up very snappy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

+2

currently on a ocz vertex 60 gig with Windows 7.

SSDs require a few small tweaks when running the OS.

1) NEVER defrag them (this ruins them) Ensure you disable automatic defrag.

2) Set windows to have it's pagefile, temp files, temp Internet files all on a separate regular harddrive.

3) The more the drive fills, the more it degrades in performance, bear this in mind if you are look at a 30 gig model, personally I would go at least a 60 gig.

Have a look on the OCZ support forums, there is a wealth of information there that can be applied to a lot of SSD setups.
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67056

All in all an SSD is a total luxury, but it really does make using a PC that much smoother. It really is one of the few ways to really speed up day to day use and I would find it hard to go back.

Advertisement