Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions needed on where to hold a function in the city please

Options
  • 14-01-2010 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to organise a surprise birthday do for a family member in summertime
    in the city. I have no experience of arranging these kind of things and find it a bit daunting to be honest.

Basically I'm hoping to book a function room in a nice hotel or restaurant
    in or in very close proximity of possible to Galway city.

Although it's hard to be sure as it's early days, I think it will need to cater
    for about 60 to maybe 100 people max.

I'm talking about a wedding reception type scenario where there's a sit down meal or buffet followed by music (live band) so there'll have to be a dancefloor of course.

Was wondering if any Galway based boards members had any suggestions in regards to where would be a nice suitable
    location or any tips on affordability as I'm hoping that booking early might help with getting a good deal as I'm sure in these
    times the managers will be doing their best to attract business. If anyone has any reccommendations from personal experience
    even that would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 a.nidhomhnaill1

hiya,
    monroes have opened a new place upstairs. has a dance floor and plenty of bars. they can cater as well...you should just give them a ring to find out what they could do for you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was at a wedding reception in the rowing club a while back. Buffet style catering.
    Was a really nice budget option. Not sure how they did it though, arrange caterers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

hiya,
    monroes have opened a new place upstairs. has a dance floor and plenty of bars. they can cater as well...you should just give them a ring to find out what they could do for you

Cheers for that. Will add to the list.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Magnus wrote: »
    I was at a wedding reception in the rowing club a while back. Buffet style catering.
    Was a really nice budget option. Not sure how they did it though, arrange caterers etc.

I think (but I could be wrong) I heard that a function held there during the summer had Cava do the food/catering etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Magnus wrote: »

Sounds good, I take it you mean the one behind the courthouse on the river which will no doubt be blocked out as the arts festival club again this year ( second half of July)

You would have to arrange catering and a DJ or Music neither of which is that hard to organise in Galway thankfully.

Great summer venue ...not for its decor though and you need at least 100 people to fill her up a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Email a number of hotels around the city for quotes and go from there. There are massive deals to be had for weddings so I'd look at brochures and aim for some of the special offers they have for functions if you decide to go the hotel route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mention 'wedding' to a galway hotel and they promptly double all their charges :(

I even know someone who booked a conference dinner in the Great Southern at less than half the price of a wedding ( including bar extension) and then beat them down on price line by line by line after they told them the conference was actually a wedding :)

Advertisement