Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Adapter Needed

• 14-01-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I was wondering does anyone have a spare Dell power adapter (PA 12 ).My laptop has stopped charging and I'm trying to troubleshoot it to see if it's a problem with the adapter, or the jack at the back.

I've tried licking the connector of the adapter to see if I get a shock (only 12v so would expect it to only be like a shock from a 9v battery). I don't get any shock whatsoever despite making contact with both the +/- parts.

This leads me to believe it's the adapter but I'd rather make sure before going into PC World to get a replacement only to find it doesn't work!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Possibly just bought a new dell so my old one could work il check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Totally wrong forum, thought I was in the Waterford City forum :S. Could someone move it along?

65w - ac - adapter

model no pa -1650-05d2

It mentions PA-12 family at the top right aswell

If its any good to you i could be in Waterford city over the weekend or sunday night nearly definetly.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Moved at OP's request.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you know any electronic students in WIT, ask them to look at it with one of those volt meters and see if there is any current coming via the charger. I had a boardsie take a look at two chargers for me before I went onto eBay and got them sorted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've tried licking the connector of the adapter to see if I get a shock (only 12v so would expect it to only be like a shock from a 9v battery). I don't get any shock whatsoever despite making contact with both the +/- parts.

You are kidding, right?!?! :eek:

These types of transformers give out 3.5 amps at 19-20v.

Lick that with your tongue and you'll know about it.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

PS you can pick these up for a few quid off eBay if you can wait that long.
    PS2 might be a blown fuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thankfully for me I didn't decide to test it by plugging it directly into my bloodstream. Turns out that it's definitely the adapter that's at fault so I've sent Tipp86 a PM about it.

Advertisement