Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Titanic Artifacts Exhibition

• 14-01-2010 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

What do people think about this exhibition? I was shocked when I heard that it was €18 to get in, though it is very well laid out. It smacked a bit of marine salvage to me, and I was a bit surprised that it was run by a private exhibition company. This kind of exhibition could have generated alot of revenue for the museum, for instance, if they'd put in a bid to host it (splitting the cover charge maybe), saving the salvage operation (who I presume the profits do fund) the cost of an exhibitions firm and the rent in City West...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

What do people think about this exhibition? I was shocked when I heard that it was €18 to get in, though it is very well laid out. It smacked a bit of marine salvage to me, and I was a bit surprised that it was run by a private exhibition company. This kind of exhibition could have generated alot of revenue for the museum, for instance, if they'd put in a bid to host it (splitting the cover charge maybe), saving the salvage operation (who I presume the profits do fund) the cost of an exhibitions firm and the rent in City West...

I've had an interest in Titanic for a number of years (long before 'the film' came out!). I just happened to be in Lisbon in September and by chance discovered the exhibition was there also, so, I visited it while there. I have to say, I never enjoyed an exhibition as much as I did that one, I found it amazing in fact (but then deep down I'm a Titanic nut! :p).

I know people might think its 'grave robbing' of sorts, making money from salvaging historic sites etc, but, how else can you really experience 'Titanic' than by seeing actual artifacts from that ship! Items that have been there! For me, personally, pictures, documentaries, books etc are ok, but to really and truely get to grips with an event/period I have to encounter actual objects from that time (thats maybe why I dont delve back too far into history! :P). So, in that regard this show was amazing, to see actual parts of the ship!! Bench parts, windows, davitts etc etc......

I'll be going to see the exhib in Dublin again I think! Naturally :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gravensteen

I agree, physical artifacts talk to people in a way that books and pictures never can. I can't see a problem with anyone interested in the Titanic being moved by this. I think there will be some increased interest because of the 1997 film, but there have been books and films about that disaster almost since it happened; the public interest in the Titanic is evident.

I can't say I have a serious problem with the recovery of artifacts, tbh. The ethics issue of disturbing grave sites doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't bother the families of the people buried. It just seems strange that the artifacts being ''sold'' for €18 a viewing. On top of that, the visitor is encouraged to buy pictures of themself with Captain Smith, either as a corporeal figure, or as a ghost in the back of a 3D photo (that is crass).

Fair enough, the price may be simply to cover the cost of the exhibition and the venue, but surely the museum or some other non profit org could have hosted this? Rather than a hotel; incidentally, City West were marketing ''Titanic Weekends'' based on the exhib.

I'm just shocked no one else has brought this up, either in the media or elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

I agree, physical artifacts talk to people in a way that books and pictures never can.

I can't say I have a serious problem with the recovery of artifacts, tbh. The ethics issue of disturbing grave sites doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't bother the families of the people buried. It just seems strange that the artifacts being ''sold'' for €18 a viewing. On top of that, the visitor is encouraged to buy pictures of themself with Captain Smith, either as a corporeal figure, or as a ghost in the back of a 3D photo (that is crass).

Fair enough, the price may be simply to cover the cost of the exhibition and the venue, but surely the museum or some other non profit org could have hosted this? Rather than a hotel; incidentally, City West were marketing ''Titanic Weekends'' based on the exhib.

I'm just shocked no one else has brought this up, either in the media or elsewhere.

It's interesting that you see the artefacts as being 'sold' for the price of the entry fee. Sure there are plenty of temporary exhibitions within museums/galleries which charge a cover price due to the added insurance and marketing costs of putting them on. If the exhibition is worth it then I have no problem paying in.

I wonder why the museum didn't bid to host this though, perhaps they hadn't the space or staff because of the hiring embargo, there could be any reason.

Taking a picture with 'Captain Smith' is really crass, I agree, and I can't believe they got away with this. Perhaps he has no living family with 'rights' to his name or image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gravensteen

Doozie wrote: »
    It's interesting that you see the artefacts as being 'sold' for the price of the entry fee. Sure there are plenty of temporary exhibitions within museums/galleries which charge a cover price due to the added insurance and marketing costs of putting them on. If the exhibition is worth it then I have no problem paying in.

I guess I said 'sold' because it's a hell of a cover charge. £8 is the usual price for the top travelling exhibits in the British Museum in London.
    The Captain Smith photo disturbs me, it really does.

Advertisement