Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to find best moisturiser to keep skin young and healthy

• 14-01-2010 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hello all!

I'm looking to find a good moisturiser containing good ingredients in order to keep my skin healthy and young. I'm 26 and have only very few wrinkles but I'd like it to stay that way. At the moment I'm not even using moisturiser on my face at all. This must be bad!

Can anyone recommend me a good facial moisturiser: A) to keep skin healthy and B) to keep skin wrinkle free. I want to prevent wrinkles for as long as possible. Perhaps one containing grape seed oil or vegetable oils.
    I would like to avoid artificial preservatives if possible.
    Anyway iff you could throw a few at me there and also give me some indication as to price, that would be great. If I could get a good one at an affordable price, even better!

Also what do you older ladies suggest? Have any of you 40 yr olds found one to be particularly good? And how many times a day are you supposed to use moisturiser? Is it just for in the morning before applying makeup?

Finally, I know absolutely nothing about skin care. Is it important to use eye cream? Night cream? Morning cream? Can an expert tell me please? Should I be using Anti- wrinkle cream in my 20s? How about facial masks? What do these do? I don't have spotty skin. I have probably dryish skin. Should I use an exfoliator? Which one if I should? By the way i am TERRIFIED of aging. Please understand. Happy new year to ye all!

Many thanks

Sara

Comments

La Roche Posay is my favourite moisturiser. It's also recommended by many dermatologists. It depends on your skin type which would be best for you.

Most importantly, drink lots of water, have a good diet full of vegetables, nuts and seeds. A high sun factor should also be worn all year round. And I assume you don't smoke - if you do - give up!

Unfortunately it's got alot to do with your genes. If your parents look young and wrinkle free then you probably will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

I'm 35, so not quite 40, but here's what I've noticed with the women my age who I've known since we were teens:

The ones who spent their 20s yo-yo dieting, crash dieting, eating junk, restricting calories below the healthy level, using cigarettes as an appetite supressant, tanning either in the real sun or in sunbeds, and drinking too much booze are the ones who now have premature wrinkles, crows feet, frown lines, saggy skin around the neck and chest.

The ones who have eaten healthy balanced diets filled with fresh foods, vegetables and fruits, healthy fats (like the nuts and seeds Whoopsadaisydoodle mentioned,) enough protein, avoided tanning, used sunscreen on their face every day and didn't smoke are the ones who look younger than they really are.

The only magic cream I can think of is sunscreen. Any moisturizer with at least SPF15 will do. And when it's sunny outside, wear sunglasses. This not only protects the delicate skin around the eye put it keeps you from squinting, which can cause wrinkles if you do it constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd recommend you go to a beauty salon, have a facial and find out what kind of skin you have. Dermologica salons are usually pretty good.

First of all, as others have said, always wear sunscreen. Wear factor 30+ from March - Oct. In the winter you should use a moisturiser with 15. Stay out of the sun. You won't see the sun damage on your skin for about 5 years and by then it's too late. If you want to sunbathe at least cover your face.

As stella777 said, I can see the difference between girls who look after their skin and those who don't or those who love the sun a bit too much and those who sat in the shade. I'm also 35 so you'd be suprised how much damage can be done in 9 years from 26 to 35.

Healthy eating, exercise and not too much alcohol will all help.

Then it's all about cleanse, tone, moisturise every day religiously. If you have dry skin maybe use a oil based serum at night time. Use mud and hydrating masks regularly.

If you're just starting out with products you can't go wrong with dermologica. Check out http://www.adonisgrooming.com/ for really great prices. Dermologica do a fantastic small bottle of 30f sunscreen which you mix with your moisturiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

+1 what they said :)

My younger sister smokes and she has far more lines than me - I'm 31.

Just slathering on loads of cream isn't going to be enough to keep your skin looking fresh.
    You have to feed your skin from the inside out, so eat your fish & greens, drink at least 1litre of water a day. That's as much as I can manage, but ideally you're supposed to glug a bit more (around 1.5-2 l).

I don't use any expensive creams, just whatever I see on offer in Boots. I tend to flit between Nivea, Simple and Oil of Olay, but I don't have any particular brand preference.

Give the skin a break from makeup at the weekends. Don't wear foundation if tinted moisturiser (with SPF) gives you sufficient coverage. I find Aqua Fusion by Lancome very good for this.

A good nightcream (if your skin needs it) and a light day moisturiser with SPF should suffice for now, I think.
    Anti-ageing cream isn't suitable for 20sthg year olds. If you follow a healthy diet & lifestyle, the lines won't form for years anyway.

Advertisement