Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird ID please

• 14-01-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this little fella nimbling on a apple butt in my back garden today, wondering would anyone know what it is??

Its smaller than a Robin, ground feeder, dark grey body with a rusty red patch on its head.

bird1y.jpg

bird2u.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Think it could be a female blackcap.
    I'm open to correction but I think they have a rusty brown head as opposed to the males black one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Agree totally female blackcap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Definitely female blackcap.
    Had this little one in my garden over the last few days:
    p1010063crop2.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thanks for that folks, come to think of it i did see a male blackcap today so maybe its his girlfriend....do they usually go around in pairs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I appear to have a pair regularly visiting the garden lately.
    I've also seen the male in a bit of a tussle with another male on one occasion, a territorial dispute, I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Them Blackcaps seem to be very aggressive. The fella in my yard will fight other birds away from the feeders but then not take anything from it himself! That is a female one alright. The Blackcaps are big fans of apples.

Advertisement