Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A really silly simple question re website launch

Options
  • 14-01-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi. Before I start I'd like to say I'm a complete noob to this kinda thing. I'm currently in college studying some website design and development as part of my course.

Code wise I'm using HTML, CSS, Javascript and Actionscript at the moment. A friend of mine has asked me to do a simple site for their business. The site is mainly for information purposes, listing the services and products for the business. There would also be a simple form to submit enquiries.

The design part I have no problem with as I'm 18 months into the course. However so far we've never made a site that was launched.

So I'm just looking for a simple guide to how to actually get my site online. I have to buy a domain name for the site. Where do I do this and is there any thing I need to watch out for? What type of hosting do I need for such a site, and do I get that from the same people I get the domain name from? I have tried researching this myself online but I'm getting confused between all the different things on offer eg why does .ie cost more than .com and is there a difference between the two. What is domain parking? What are SSl certs and POP3 emails? Whats the difference between linux and java and windows hosting?

I would really appreciate a helping hand with this guys. I'm a little over my head and I'd like to get this right and not let my friend down. I'm kinda hoping for a step by step guide of how to get the site online and what to look out for, but I appreciate any help.

Thanks a million, and sorry to be so clueless!!!! ;):p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

You need to buy a domain name - this can be bought from the same company that you buy your hosting from or from any of the resellers.

Anybody can register .com, .net domains.

.ie domains are restricted to irish businesses,business names registered in Ireland and individuals with a tangible connection to Ireland

The rules for .ie domains are here: http://www.iedr.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php

List of .ie resellers

.ie tend to rank more highly than .com domains on Google searches for "pages from Ireland" (This is very general, your website's rank depends on loads of other factors too.)

Difference between Linux and Windows Hosting - if you need/want to use a technology called ASP, ASP .NET and/or a MS SQL Server database you buy windows hosting.
    For almost anything else you can use either.

Domain Parking - you buy a domain but don't build a website to go with it. A webpage is displayed saying that someone owns the domain but that they haven't done anything with it yet.

SSL certs - are used to encrypt webpages and traffic on parts of your website

POP3 E-mails - you will get a number of e-mail accounts with your hosting package.

just FYI - its against the forum rules to ask about a particular hosting provider or discuss hosting plans from different providers. The thread will be locked if you do.

When you have your hosting bought you will be able to upload your HTML/CSS files using the "control panel"(a website that you will be given access to when you sign up with them) from your hosting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Perfect thanks very much. Yep I know that about the hosting, i checked the charter before I posted.

Yep I'm up to date with a lot of the common SEO techniques, it's just like I explained I've never actually launched a website before. Which theoretically means I should be fine but I know in reality that I'll probo run into some serious problems re testing and stuff, but I'll deal with that when it happens! :cool:

Thanks a million dude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey, if you need hand let me know. Can also sort you out with hosting etc if you like since you a fellow CITer :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

For the sake of ease, might I recommend buying the hosting and domain from the same provider. I can let you know the one I typically use, if you'd like.

Getting them from the same provider will make life easier for you when it comes time to connect the .com to the actual hosting. If they're from different places, then you're looking at playing around with DNS stuff at the .com host, and it can be a bit of a pain to figure out, particularly if you're just starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Generally you'd get the domain free anyways but they do charge more per year than the average registrar. I don't see why it's more difficult to order from somewhere else like register365.ie. All you have to do is set the nameservers on signup and add the domain to your account. From registration to pointing to host in ~24 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement