Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle recommendations?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

Hey Tom, I'll hijack things here.

I would love to get into the nitty gritty world for the RDBMS Oracle world. I've been working in App support for about 2years(in multi DB environments running on 9i and 10g), I would class my Oracle SQL skills as Advanced.

I would be primarily interested in development type roles that included areas such as:

Oracle enterprise application development principles.
    Oracle 9i database and higher
    Oracle 10g Developer Suite (Forms/Reports, etc.)
    SQL Loader

I suppose I would like to improve my pl/sql, DB maintenance, indexing...generally higher level administration of DB's. Moving towards DBA in the future possibly.

I know I'm capable but getting the opportunity to gain the experience is the problem.

What would be your thoughts on my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What would be your thoughts on my situation?

Well I moved from App support to DBA, so it is quite possible to do.

I always wanted to get into development, but I kinda fell into the DBA role. So, I would say be clear on what you want to do. If you want to go the DBA route, then do it from the start and likewise for developer.

In my role as an Oracle consultant, I got to work on all of what you list, though of course purely from an infrastructural perspective, rather than a developer. You do, however, need to know a bit about development to be a good DBA. I've spent many a late night trawling through PL/SQL procedures trying to find out the source of the alleged "database iusses".

Certs are always a plus, but don't bother starting them unless you have hands-on experience as I found to my detriment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've split this out into its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Well I moved from App support to DBA, so it is quite possible to do.

I always wanted to get into development, but I kinda fell into the DBA role. So, I would say be clear on what you want to do. If you want to go the DBA route, then do it from the start and likewise for developer.

In my role as an Oracle consultant, I got to work on all of what you list, though of course purely from an infrastructural perspective, rather than a developer. You do, however, need to know a bit about development to be a good DBA. I've spent many a late night trawling through PL/SQL procedures trying to find out the source of the alleged "database iusses".

Certs are always a plus, but don't bother starting them unless you have hands-on experience as I found to my detriment.

Thanks Tom,

I'm 100% certain that I want a future in Oracle(Development), at the moment I feel frustrated or maybe I'm just impatient either way I left my first job that gave me huge exposure to the database, scripting, SQL loader for a job that paid ALOT more only to discover that the DB was kept at arms reach by the engineers so all I've had exposure to is query writing.

At the moment I'm doing an IT h.dip in DCU as my degree was in Business Studies (sql was the IT stream option!) so as to broaden my IT skills, I think when I've finished I will take on some Oracle exams, start specializing in the area I intend to get into.

In the meantime, could you suggest ideas or resources for running my own projects? I have Oracle up and running on my personal computer, have a lovely DB created but I dont really know what to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In the meantime, could you suggest ideas or resources for running my own projects? I have Oracle up and running on my personal computer, have a lovely DB created but I dont really know what to do with it!

Seeing as you are a developer, have a look at Application Express.

It's a RAD environment for all Oracle databases and with it, you will have a web-based Oracle application up and running in no time. I'm doing a bit of work on it here and it's pretty damn impressive.

Advertisement