Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell house privately? Is it worth it? Or just wait?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Jut got a verbal valuation of my house-€180k to €185k.Bought it 5 years ago for €177k,mortgage about €148k now.Kinda thinking about buying a house with the girlfriend in a different part of town,hence the reason for the valuation.Estate agent charge 1 and 3 quarter percent which would be over 3 grand!!Savage money for putting an ad in the paper and online and showing people around my house!!I know there's a few things more than that but has anyone here sold their house privately?EA said first time buyer market is still ticking over and my house would be perfect for that market.Then again,I'm thinking,hang on for another 18 months or so and hope market picks up?Confused!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

My folks sold their house without an EA. Was a piece of cake apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Was that recently?Do you mind me asking,did they get the price they were looking for?Or were they prepared to be bargained down a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Privately doesn't work well. Put yourself in the buyers mind, and you'd prefer to deal with an auctioneer than the seller. I know they are leeches etc. but you will have to use one to sell.

I have used them (always get best price agreed up front) and dont forget you'll have to pay for advertising too.

Regarding 18 months waiting...good luck with that. If your a regular reader of boards you'll know whats "really" going on in Ireland and that prices will go down for at least another 6-9months maybe more and it'll take years of flatlining before there's any up.

P.S. good luck with your sale and future :cool:

Yeh,agree.Reckon when,or if,NAMA kicks in,its gonna pull house prices down even further!To put an ad on net costs €199,EA told me there will be "set up fee's" of €330!So thats €131 extra to put up a frickin sign in my garden!You're right,they are leeches so I'm sorely tempted to try for a few weeks to sell it myself.If that fails then go to one that charges lowest commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

toby2111 wrote: »
    Was that recently?Do you mind me asking,did they get the price they were looking for?Or were they prepared to be bargained down a little?

It was a good few years ago. They got the price they wanted, or at least, were happy it.

I think they were bargained down by about 5k or 10k if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

If a house is priced attractively to sell, it'll sell.

Doesn't matter who does the donkey work, EA or home owner, price must be right.
    Lot of work in taking calls, chasing up people, bargaining etc, but if you're willing to do that, I think you should.
    Wouldn't give those EA's a cent if I could help it.

Take about ten good quality pictures of your house, price well, and put on the usual internet sites.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

ellejay wrote: »
    Take about ten good quality pictures of your house, price well, and put on the usual internet sites.

Can you put adds on Myhome and Daft yourself?
    I was under the impression only an EA could do that. (Hope I am wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Anyone can stick up a house on daft, it cost about 150. EA's get a reduced price as they normally fire a heap of properties on these sites.

But to my point above, most buyers would prefer to deal with and EA.
    And in agreement with the comments above...if its priced right and in right area it'll sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Anyone can stick up a house on daft, it cost about 150. EA's get a reduced price as they normally fire a heap of properties on these sites.

But to my point above, most buyers would prefer to deal with and EA.
    And in agreement with the comments above...if its priced right and in right area it'll sell.

And what about Myhome?

Would daft.ie be best site.Theres another one called sellityourself.ie but reckon daft would get more hits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

Sell it yourself you have nothing to loose.

Put the ad up on daft and see what happens. Estate agents can't magically find buyers, despite what they say about having people on their books looking for houses.

If you are looking for a house, you will search on daft.

* You handle calls/emails
    * Show people around the house
    * They either put in an offer or not
    * You can except the offer or not

It's that simple. Your solicitor will handle all the paper work.
    1. So it's get call from buyer.
    2. Show them around the house a few times.
    3. Answer any questions they have.
    4. Negotiate a price with them.
    5. They will get house surveyed
    6. Your solicitor and their solicitor will exchange contracts and deposit.
    7. Close the sale of your house.
    Simple

Search the web I'm sure there are blogs/sites of people who sold their own house http://www.sellityourself.ie/advice.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Put yourself in the buyers mind, and you'd prefer to deal with an auctioneer than the seller.

I would much much much rather deal with the seller than an auctioneer... I've had to deal with a good few over the last few years and they've all been a disaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

toby2111 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Jut got a verbal valuation of my house-€180k to €185k.Bought it 5 years ago for €177k,mortgage about €148k now.Kinda thinking about buying a house with the girlfriend in a different part of town,hence the reason for the valuation.Estate agent charge 1 and 3 quarter percent which would be over 3 grand!!Savage money for putting an ad in the paper and online and showing people around my house!!I know there's a few things more than that but has anyone here sold their house privately?EA said first time buyer market is still ticking over and my house would be perfect for that market.Then again,I'm thinking,hang on for another 18 months or so and hope market picks up?Confused!!

lololol

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

is there any site to sell privately

Advertisement