Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked the book (not the musical!)

Options
  • 14-01-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I recently bought the book, Wicked, which is the novel on which the musical is based. I didn't even know it was a book first!
    So i'm a bit wary, anyone read it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Very, very different to the musical. Much darker, with more adult themes. Many people who love the musical hate the book. However I love the musical and found the book good.

Just don't expect it to be anything like the musical!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Reading it at the moment. It's very well written but somehow unengaging. Perhaps because I saw the musical beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I really loved both but as has been said the book is very different to the musical. The story is more intricate and complex with a lot more characters. It's also very well written and very funny in parts. It's definitely not as upbeat as the musical

I'd actually say it has more in common with the lord of the rings than broadway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

As others have said, they're very very different. I prefer the musical, which I saw before reading the book, though generally I love Gregory Maguire's books. He's written a number of books which engage with and retell old stories - e.g. Cinderella, Snow White, A Christmas Carol - and does it really well, but the musical is just so damn good. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got the book a few yrs back and just could not get into it.Did'nt like it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I'd actually say it has more in common with the lord of the rings than broadway.

It does have that fantasy novel approach alright.

I loved it at first; I think it was the novelty of looking at a well-known character from another point of view.
    However I found the second half of the book a bit of a chore to be honest and struggled to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I agree. It was a very dark book and while the first half is very engaging it drags a lot in the second half. All in all a good book but very dark and totally different from the play

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I might try and read it again sometime to see if I can get into it.

Advertisement