Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked, the novel!

Options
  • 14-01-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Anyone know that Wicked was originally a novel?

I bought it, but wondering will it be any good.

Anyone read it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I've read it and the sequel, Son of a Witch. I loved them but they're very different from the musical, so if that's why you're reading it prepare for something much more adult with a much more intricate plot and very different characterization. It also deals with a lot of political/religous themes. A much better story than the musical adaptation, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 missusblagh

Ok well that sounds good!
    Was jst afraid it might be crap?
    but im looking forward to reading it now, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eimear87

TBH I struggled to get through it. I'm a big reader and Love the musical. but this was very intricate and quite hard to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's very very dark. I persevered with it but am not really a fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My wife took it on holiday with us as her holiday read, apparently it's pretty fcuked up, lot of weird stuff in there, but she did say it was really really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

I must be one of the few that read and loved the novel before the musical came along (which I also love, for different reasons).

Agreed, the novel is much heavier than the musical, gets into much murkier territory and, well, isn't quite as cheerful as the musical adaptation. But it is an excellent story and very well told to boot. I read the sequel "Son Of A Witch" (bit of a giveaway there) and have "A Lion Among Men" waiting in the wings (pardon the pun).

Maguire writes quite a bit of revisionist fiction, most of which I've read including:

- "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" - set in "Girl with a Pearl Earring"-era Amsterdam

- "Mirror, Mirror" - set in Renaissance Italy

It's very good stuff, albeit heavily written (but what would you expect from a guy with a PhD in English & American Literature?)

Worth a look, definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 flutterberry

i also read it it is a hard book to get into and if you are expecting it to be like the musical i think you might be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I only ever read the first chapter and to be honest I thought it was so bad that I threw the book away and ever since I've been unable to bring myself to go to the actual show. I know they're completely different but that chapter just destroyed the whole idea of Wicked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Aww don't let it ruin the show for you John!

I struggled with the book, I got about 2/3rds through it and I just couldn't cope anymore and gave up. Musical is still awesome! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mcgeezer

I always wanted to read it, and eventually I did. But I was slightly surprised to find out that it was nothing like the musical whatsoever. Waaay more dark and mysterious. But even though it was hard to comprehend at times, it was most definitely a god read! And the two sequels (Son of a Witch & A Lion Among Men) are equally as good :]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

fonpokno wrote: »
    Aww don't let it ruin the show for you John!

I struggled with the book, I got about 2/3rds through it and I just couldn't cope anymore and gave up. Musical is still awesome! :)
    Oh I've tried for years to not let the book ruin the show for me but its almost like a pavlovian response at this stage - anytime I think Wicked I just shudder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 markie24dublin

I absolutely loved the musical.. there are 3 books.. I hope they make them into movies :)

Would also be great to see the musical coming to Dublin.. maybe for the new grand canal theatre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

JohnK wrote: »
    I only ever read the first chapter and to be honest I thought it was so bad that I threw the book away and ever since I've been unable to bring myself to go to the actual show. I know they're completely different but that chapter just destroyed the whole idea of Wicked for me.

The first chapter wasn't the best, I have to say. I loved the book but I'm still waiting to see the musical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Would also be great to see the musical coming to Dublin.. maybe for the new grand canal theatre?

No chance!! I did the Behind the Emerald Curtain tour in NYC and I don't think even think the GCT is big enough to cope with over 150 pieces of set they have to fly in and out during the show. Not to mention the staging costs. Each actors' costumes are made to measure and a show's worth is in the region of $100,000 per person!

Advertisement