Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO again!-A few questions (sorry!)

Options
  • 14-01-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of writing my personal statement at the moment and just have a few questions. A teacher in college where I'm doing a fetac course is going to go over it tomorrow for me but I want to have it as good as I can before then!

1) Should it be like an "essay type" information, at the moment thats the way I have it written and does it have to follow the order as outlined in the CAO handbook.
    2)I see CV all over the board here, does that mean I should include an actual CV with my application just so that they can see clearly the chronological order and time spent doing cetain things (that I have already outlined in the statement itself)

The first part "Begin by explaining the relavance of your life/educational experience to your application and state your educational goals" Should that be completely separate from the rest of the information, but yet incorporate information that I will be mentioning further on.........What I mean is, is do I say specifically why I want to the courses I have applied for, why I am suitable, why I am determined and dedicated and include life/educational experience....and what I hope to get out of the course(s) blah, blah and then the rest of the statement is a seperate section outlining the various differnt things they ask for....

I hope someone understands what i am trying to say :o:o, Just a bit muddled and confused at the moment:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yep, it should be in the form of a statement, not a letter addressed to any body.

Include a CV separate to your personal statement yes. It gives the college an easy way to see what you've been up to since finishing school etc. They'll look at both that and your personal statement during selection.
    why I want to the courses I have applied for, why I am suitable, why I am determined and dedicated and include life/educational experience....and what I hope to get out of the course(s) blah, blah

That's what a personal statement is all about. Why you want to do the course, why have you decided to do it now, what do you know about the course and the profession, what you've done so far that you feel links in with the course (life/work/volunteer experience), any other life experience/interests/hobbies you think give good skills towards the profession and what you hope to achieve from doing the course.

Have you looked at studential.com or thestudentroom.co.uk?? They both have examples of personal statements on them. Worth checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hi Larrainne, thanks for your quick reply. Will update the cv that I have in that case so.

In relation to 1, its going to be about 2 written pages, with the 2-8 being approx another 2 pages plus the CV. Is this too much? (or too little?) I'm all in a state now as I applied online on Tues, not knowing I had only 7 days to submit the postal documents.

Going to check out that site after I get this rough draft of the statement done.....

It is all Social subjects I am applying for and I am told that the personal statement is extremely important and I just want it to be right.

***Argggghhh, I'm demented I am:(***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

One of the things they are looking for is the ability for a person to make a good solid summary of the information which could be said. Afterall in uni thats what essays are all about, clear conscise and structural informative information. No waffle!

And yes try and keep it to the guidelines 2 pages I think, remember they will be piling through dozens of applications
    and time is money, as long as it *needs* to be is the way to look at it.

Is 1 and 2-8 sections of the CAO? I can't remember what they are sorry.

My personal statement was just over 2 pages. You don't want your personal statement going on and on though. EDIT: What Me@UCD said!

Don't worry too much about the 7 days limit. When I applied the 1st year I was in Australia and hadn't realised about the 7 day deadline. I emailed the CAO and they said it was okay. Get the postal documents sent within 2 weeks and you'll be grand.

PM sent.

These are the guidelines that are driving me loopy!

Application Form (Part B) Special Categories
    (continued):

Begin by explaining the relevance of your
    life/educational experience to your application and
    state your educational goals and objectives.

You should then continue by supplying the
    details and appropriate supporting documents as
    set out in 2 to 8 below.

Final secondary level qualification awarded,
    e.g. Junior Certificate, Leaving Certificate (pre-1985
    only); GCE, etc., and the dates awarded.

Post-secondary level qualifications, e.g. Certificate,
    Diploma, Degree, VTOS, NCVA Level 2/3,
    FETAC Level 5/6, Access course, PLC,
    City & Guilds, etc.
    Show the title of the qualification, dates, institution,
    subjects, levels and results.

Current studies, e.g. Certificate, Diploma, Degree,
    etc.
    subjects, levels and any results to date.

Non-certificate courses, e.g. Personal Development,
    Film Studies, etc.
    subjects, levels and any results to date.

Employment.
    Show Job Title, name and address of company or
    organisation, dates, duties and responsibilities.

Voluntary (Unpaid) Work.
    Show Job Title, name and address of company or
    organisation, dates, duties and responsibilities.

Hobbies or interests.
    State these and, if appropriate, relate them to
    proposed study at third level.

Completing an Application
    N.B. Mature applicants should read
    particularly carefully pages 4, 5, 6
    and 14.

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

• Advertisement

Okay, section one is your personal statement which I would advice writing out on a separate piece of paper and in the box for section 1 write: Please see postal documents. Gives you more space. The rest are just details required by the CAO and the accompanying documents you should include in your application.

For section 2-8 it should read like:
    Leaving Certificate... School....... Date........ Grades.... etc.

not an essay type answer

The employment bit - I'd also refer to: see postal documents and this is where your CV comes into play.

You don't have to include what you got in your Leaving certificate in your statement. If you've done a course relating to the type of study you are hoping to do you can mention it in the statement.

Ok, I think I understand where I am going now, our teacher on the course got me all confused and flustered about the whole thing!!
    *Wipes brow*

Thanks for all your help. Once I've this cao stuff in the post I can start worrying about the MSAP:pac::pac: (and all the work I'm behind on in my course:()

Me again! Less stressed now. Got a draft written out now and I think its alright, read over it a few times and it reads ok.

Just want to say thanks again (again:pac:) to Larrianne! You were great, really cleared things up for me and I knew where I was going wrong. Here's hoping that people who I'll give it to tomorrow to proof read will think its up to scratch!

(thanks me@ucd too!)

I suggest you give it to two or three people if possible to read and get their feedback from it.

Good going!! The personal statement is the worst bit. Once that's sorted, it's so much easier! :)

So I've got my personal statement typed up and will be printing it out tomorrow in college (my own printer is busted:()I've got my certs certified and my details written on the back. So my question is what else do I need to put in the envelope? I've applied online already so obviously a lot of the information on the application is with the CAO already. Do I still put the form in? Do I have to write a cover letter? Do I write my CAO application number on the outside of the envelope. What section do I address it to? Where are the men in white coats??:(:(

• Advertisement

lol.

Have you done out a CV?

What form do you mean, the CAO application? No, if you have already applied on-line you don't put the paper application in.

Have all your documents marked with your name and CAO number.

I did put a cover letter in with it stating it was the postal documents to accompany by on-line application.

Also, if there is the postcard you get for CAO to send back to you to say they received your documents, pop that in or put in a stamped self addressed envelop and ask in cover letter for them to send it back to you. Will ease your mind.

Have you letters of recommendations? Put them in too.

Now, BIG BREATH!!! :D

Advertisement