Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What musical has the best music?

• 14-01-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Im going to a show in London soon, and I'm wondering, what musical would people consider as having the best music?
    Are there any as good as Les Miserables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yddil

I you want a singalongable, Lion King's your man... That rotating floor is AMAZING!!!!

Otherwise Wicked is such a good story and nothing beats it on stage, its so cool!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 missusblagh

Well I've seen Wicked (yes it's amazing ! :D)
    But I'm not sure, not so much, singalongable, but like, emotional, intense, like Les Mis.

what I heard about Lion King is that it has a great production - set, costume etc, but once you get past that there's not much substance to it. what you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

The score for Phantom of the Opera is amazing. Musically, Wicked is also very good and Rent would definitely be up there in terms of musical content also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Rent isn't running anymore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

There's no wrong answer here, it's too subjective.

Superstar is a favourite of mine, as Wicked hasn't enough male parts or decent songs for those male parts(I'm a guy). And it's got kick ass riffs, really challenging songs - every time I listen to the Jesus clearing the temple it sends shivers down my spine. You'd want to be a fantastic singer to pull that off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kkd

My Fair Lady for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Ragtime has some incredible music in it. Unfortunately its not running on the west end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

I wish I had been able to see Avenue Q while it was in Lonon. I love the round track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

wet-paint wrote: »
    There's no wrong answer here, it's too subjective.

Superstar is a favourite of mine, as Wicked hasn't enough male parts or decent songs for those male parts(I'm a guy). And it's got kick ass riffs, really challenging songs - every time I listen to the Jesus clearing the temple it sends shivers down my spine. You'd want to be a fantastic singer to pull that off.
    The score for Phantom of the Opera is amazing. Musically, Wicked is also very good and Rent would definitely be up there in terms of musical content also.

Phantom, Superstar and Wicked all have overtures that send shivers up my spine. Musically some of my favourite shows ever (did I just say that about two ALW shows :eek:)
    Yddil wrote: »
    I you want a singalongable, Lion King's your man... That rotating floor is AMAZING!!!!

Otherwise Wicked is such a good story and nothing beats it on stage, its so cool!!!

How is it singalongable? I thought it was awful tripe myself. Musically and storywise, I thought it was the biggest waste of money ever!
    what I heard about Lion King is that it has a great production - set, costume etc, but once you get past that there's not much substance to it. what you think?

Precisely!
    cat_rant wrote: »
    I wish I had been able to see Avenue Q while it was in Lonon. I love the round track.

Round tracks are in Starlight Express not Avenue Q :p

Looking at the list of what's running in the West End, for passionate powerful music rather than story, my top 4 would be Wicked, Billy Elliot, Phantom & Les Mis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 cyberfitnessgur

Fiddler on the roof!

"TRADIDTIOOOOOOON!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

if its singalongs you're looking for, We Will Rock You (the musical by Ben Elton based on the music of Queen) is the perfect one. Saw it in the West End about a year ago, and in the O2 in February. The storyline is riduculous, but its funny, enjoyable, and has loads of Queen classics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

The pjama game for a jazzy score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Morphy

cat_rant wrote: »

I LOVE the sound track to Avenue Q!!

Legally Blonde is also very singalongable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 philiphowlin

Im going to a show in London soon, and I'm wondering, what musical would people consider as having the best music?

Yes Go see Sister Act, Blood brothers (best storyline) and Billy Elliott

• Registered Users Posts: 3 philiphowlin

1 BILLY ELLIOTT
    2 SISTER ACT
    3 PRICILLA
    4 BLOOD BRoTHERS (best all round i.e. music and storyline)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

I think Phantom of the Opera has one of the best music scores out of all the musicals i have seen. The theme song "The Phantom of the Opera" is so powerful, and makes such an impact. Also "Music of the Night" is one of the most incredible songs in the world of musical theatre. "All i ask of you" is a fantastic duet also....i could go on....!

Andrew Llyod Webber, what a genius! Looking forward to seeing "Love Never Dies" too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 badstann

Try take in two and see Wicked and Phantom

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sophia91

Go see Wicked or Billy Elliot......they're both amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

kkd wrote: »
    My Fair Lady for sure.
    Agreed. Most musicals have a few classic songs and the rest are forgettable. MFL has truly great songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 karenjlwalker

Sister Act for sure has to be included in the top list!! along with Lion King of course :D I have not seen the rocky horror musical but think it would be brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

southpark was pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jackthelad456

Jersey Boys. Hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheatreBoy

Les Mis Has The Best Music! no doubt.

em, wicked has good music and so does phantom...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Blinn

It's probably not running anywhere but I love the music for the Gershwins' Girl Crazy. It has two absolute classics in its setlist: Embraceable You and I Got Rhythm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Caleb001

lion king is the best musician . . . !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

We will rock you is the best if you are looking for songs you know and sing along to.... Else Mama Mia if it is on.

I think Wicked, Les Mis and Miss Saigon are still my favs however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Taseera

These are mine in no particular order:

Defying Gravity (Wicked)
    You Can't Stop the Beat (Hairspray)
    It Sucks to be Me (Avenue Q)
    La Vie Boheme (Rent)
    No One Mourns the Wicked (Wicked)
    What is this Feeling?(Wicked)
    Circle of Life (Lion King)
    What you Own (Rent)
    Without Love (Hairspray)
    Every ones a Little Bit Racist (Avenue Q)

Big Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Billy Elliot's music is so diverse and appeals to everyone.You can't not like it.Electricity gets me every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 michaelflynn61

I cant decide about best music but I think Rent has the best songs!!

Advertisement