Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What musical has the best music?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

I'd probably vote for JC Superstart. Andrew Lloyd Webber writes fantastic music, but not such a great book. He worked best when someone else was writing lyrics, and his pairing with Tim Rice for JCS was nothing short of sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Rent for sure!! I know its not on anymore but the film version is still very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Just wrapped up Les Mis in the Pavilion, where I was doing pit singing. Must have heard the songs a million times each, but I'm nowhere near sick of them! The music just has a timeless quality to it - can't be beaten in my opinion (although I'm very fond of Rent and Wicked).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thomas353

everyone thinks oliver, try the jerry springer musical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Little Fellow

I think The Lion King, definitely. It sends shivers down my spine!
    what I heard about Lion King is that it has a great production - set, costume etc, but once you get past that there's not much substance to it. what you think?
    I disagree. It's so emotional, funny, and just overall brilliant! It has a lot of substance to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tijani

All the songs from spamalot Bu Lords ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Boogienights

Westside story wins handsdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

No it doesn't. My fair lady has no bad songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

Miss Saigon - good story, great music, from the same people that did Les Mis.

Blood Brothers - story is amazing, music is fantastic - have the tissues ready

Jesus Christ Superstar - music is brilliant - saw it when it opened the newly refurbed Lyceme Theater years ago, noone knew whether to clap at the end (hence the film,the cast and crew pack up and leave )

Many more - Grease is cool and good for kids too,.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dazzerd75

Morphy wrote: »
    I LOVE the sound track to Avenue Q!!

Legally Blonde is also very singalongable.

...Legally Blonde is the worst Musical I've ever seen. One rather good song- thats pretty much it - and lots of dialogue sung in a ridiculous manner.

Go see We will Rock You!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 TheatreBoy

We Will Rock You is sooooooooooo overrated!

The music is good but the show is ****e!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

TheatreBoy wrote: »
    We Will Rock You is sooooooooooo overrated!

The music is good but the show is ****e!!

Agreed. And I'm a HUGE Queen fan. Went to see the Million Dollar Quartet in London a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic show.

My favourites are:

The Lion King
    JCS
    War Of The Worlds
    Mamma Mia
    The Sound Of Music
    Grease

Saw Wicked in London for the first time. Didn't know what to expect as I only knew one song from it. What a show. Fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 gloriacollins

well i enjoy all musics....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

'Oliver!', definitely!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CongressTart

The Sound of Music.

Admittedly I don't know many other musics but I do love it. Especially the yodel song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Gotta be West Side Story - Bernstein ripping up the opposition in his usual fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Hasn't played for years but I think Mame and Camelot have some of the finest songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

Love Never Dies :)

I know a lot of people didn't like it but I loved it.

It's gone now though - unless you want to see it in Austrailia.

Go see Wicked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fiyero wrote: »
    Love Never Dies :)

I know a lot of people didn't like it but I loved it.

Seriously :confused: I keep trying to listen to the soundtrack but life is too short.

Opening on Broadway next year afaik

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 shellyhowell

I love The Phantom of the Opera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stevesullivan

I love The Phantom of the Opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AliceLondon

The Lion King! Not only songs like Circle of Life but Endless Night, He Lives In You and Shadowland are amazing! Hans Zimmerman is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Well I've seen Wicked (yes it's amazing ! :D)
    But I'm not sure, not so much, singalongable, but like, emotional, intense, like Les Mis.

what I heard about Lion King is that it has a great production - set, costume etc, but once you get past that there's not much substance to it. what you think?

Couldnt have put it better what an overrated show , a snorefest.!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

wellboytoo wrote: »

Wouldn't agree with that. One of the best scores ever written to a musical - anywhere. The wife is big into musicals and she was amazed by it. It is a truly fantastic show. On the other hand I almost slept through Phantom, which was indeed a snorefest of the highest order.

wellboytoo wrote: »

I agree. I'm big into musicals and literally slept through 90% of Act 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

West Side Story....hands down winner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Lion King! Not only songs like Circle of Life but Endless Night, He Lives In You and Shadowland are amazing! Hans Zimmerman is a genius.
    The best scene was the opening scene. It wasn't awful after that, but a bit lifeless and it dragged a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wingsnfire

My favourite at the moment is composer Jeremy Schonfeld's DRIFT. I would love to be able to do a production in Ireland

I was at Man of La Mancha in Tipperary last night and the music was phenomenal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

Phantom Of The Opera
    Les Miz

Advertisement