Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing at Lughnasa

Options
  • 14-01-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

What does people think of this? Im doing it for my single text and i find the text grand like to read but when writing up all i seem to be able is get is 2 and a half pages. So how are you finding it? I also find theres not as much resounces available as the other texts such as wuthering heights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 yo!its_yoyo

tbh I thought it was the worst/most boring book I ever read my life. A bunch of women talking crap in a house about going to a dance or not... oh god..... the bad memories.
    At least I could catch up on a bit of sleep though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I thought it was great :) Just finished reading it and only doing a bit about general vision and view point now but i think it goes well with my other two comparatives Billy Eliot and Girl with a Pearl Earring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 a2dolan

im doing it as my single text to and i hate it! its really boring , finding it hard to answer questions on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

did it last year as part of the comparative doing different comparative this year tho.. liked nothing about it 2bhonest..

but thats not helpful!

its farely short and the plot doesnt really go anywhere and i found it hard to write about it as part of the comparative so can imagine that as a single text it must be difficult !

not sure how much notes i kept from last year but i will pm u with them if i can find them!

im sure youve already tried skoool.ie - they can be alrite !

heres another website i found helpful last year! http://www.enotes.com/dancing-lughnasa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

I thought it was great :) Just finished reading it and only doing a bit about general vision and view point now but i think it goes well with my other two comparatives Billy Eliot and Girl with a Pearl Earring.
    Got the exact same as you and can't for the life of me combine the three for the comparative essay. tried for the Christmas tests and really messed it up. How do you do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I think it is great, but then again that could be my great teacher. Did you watch the film? - It might help.

We are doing Billy Elliot and Panther in the basement as the other two texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Got the exact same as you and can't for the life of me combine the three for the comparative essay. tried for the Christmas tests and really messed it up. How do you do it?

Guess myself and Cian are in the minority in liking the play :o I think i liked it so much because i love irish dancing! and also because i had to read the part of Maggie in class which was hilarious!
    I havn't done much on the three comparitives but here's a few places to start:
    • Their family's are all unconventional.
    • The are living in poverty.
    • There's a sense of responsibility for main characters (Griet, Billy and Kate)
    • Emotions are surpressed, not much communication (Billy and the Mundy sisters let on their feelings by dancing and Griet just gets on with it).
    • There's some community spirit.
    • There's a sense of loss.
    • Reversal of family roles.
    • Either optimistic of pessimistic.
    • Life goes from bad to worse (then gets better for Billy and Griet but not for the Vermeers of the Mundys)
    • Lifes of main characters are effected by dissapointment and things they have no control over.
    • Expectations from the world in which they live.
    That's all i've got to so far, hope it helps.

Advertisement