Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League Cup Semi Blackburn V Villa

• 14-01-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Villa one up after a class goal from Milner and Downing pure counter attack play

UTV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

beat you to it ;)

but we'll use your one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Comical defending from Blackburn for the goal, they've managed to bring Monday nights form in for this one anyways.

useless ref

should of been a peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FFS that was never a Dive

Maybe not a dive but certainly making the most of it and it was all he wanted to do. I don't like to see that.

• Advertisement

Young has been disappointed for villa so far imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Villain wrote: »
    FFS that was never a Dive

While there was contact, in fairness Gabby looked like he was on his way down before it was made.

Maybe not a dive but certainly making the most of it and it was all he wanted to do. I don't like to see that.
    What?? He was passed him and was about to shoot???

I don't know how you could say that was a dive or went down easy, ref got it plain and simple

Neil3030 wrote: »
    While there was contact, in fairness Gabby looked like he was on his way down before it was made.

Don't agree I think he was shaping for a shot, Gabby doesn't go down easy, Ashley Young? yes he certainly has dived in the past but Gabby wants to score and is very strong.

What?? He was passed him and was about to shoot???

I don't know how you could say that was a dive or went down easy, ref got it plain and simple

In fairness watch it again, he was not passed him and about to shoot, never.

He was on his way down before minimal if any contact was made.

He was looking for a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Good save from Robinson.

More dodgy Blackburn defending.

In fairness watch it again, he was not passed him and about to shoot, never.

He was on his way down before minimal if any contact was made.

He was looking for a penalty.
    Saw it a few times in HD on 90" projected wall, can't say he went down easy or dived imo, as I said if it was Young I would say it was certainly possible but Gabby at his pace would have been passed him and got a shot in at the pace he was running any contact would have brought him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Headshot wrote: »

Story of his season imo.......

Saw it a few times in HD on 90" projected wall, can't say he went down easy or dived imo, as I said if it was Young I would say it was certainly possible but Gabby at his pace would have been passed him and got a shot in at the pace he was running any contact would have brought him down.
    That could have been another peno for handball???

Very easily could've been. Blackburn let off the hook again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

How can you tell? His facial expression giving it away? Personally I think he is just not playing very well.

That one should have been given if the ref saw it.

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Story of his season imo.......
    Yea his dribbling has been poor but his delivery is still very dangerous and certainly a lethal threat from corners, free kicks and crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Certainly looks like Villa should have had 2 penalties in those 45, some madness alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How can you tell? His facial expression giving it away? Personally I think he is just not playing very well.

Be nice to your posters please ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Clattenburg living up to the hype. I think its too early to write off Rovers despite them not being at the races, Villa looking alright in the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Agbonlahor went down before any contact was made. Never a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Terrible first half from Blackburn, disgraceful is the word for it. My respect from Gabby Agbonlahor took a dive along with his one there. Anybody who thinks he didn't dive is nuts, he was in full dive mode before he got near Samba's leg. Well done to the ref.

Still Villa didn't punish us like they should have with all that possession. This season the carling cup games have been by and large all about second half performances for us, hopefully we will see another one here.

To be fair I slowed down that replay and you were right he wasn't going to shoot he hit the ball away but there was contact, if he hadn't went down with so much flair I think it could have been given. I can see how people say he went too easy though, I don't mind admitting when I wrong.

As for the free out for the handball??? Well I'm lost on that one altogether

Just watching the goal again, 5 on 3 in Blackburn's favour,

Not one of them even show an interest in Milner after he passes the ball out wide, he can even point to where he wants it.

Allardyce has ruined that Blackburn defense.

As for the first penalty decision, having seen it again it was never a penalty, he made the most of it, knocked the ball too far ahead and started going down way too early. He was certainly not past Samba and about to shoot.

That one was a penalty, but I didn't even notice a handball until the second replay so it was tough to spot, I think he thought Heskey handled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I wouldn't mind, but the player (Chimbonda?) was wearing a longsleeved shirt, and it was the white arm he had up in the air. If the ref was the handball, surely he had to see the white sleeve?

Also, backed Villa at 11/8 earlier to win. Keep it up Villa!

Johner wrote: »
    Also, backed Villa at 11/8 earlier to win. Keep it up Villa!

I did angola and villa double 3/1

so heres hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

so heres hoping

Was tempted by that...PP can be so persuasive:D

Thought better of it. - Good luck

so heres hoping

That's a pretty sweet bet. G'wan the Villa!

Jesus, that should have been a goal, thought Heskey had it.

End to end stuff. So close from Blackburn.

Great cross there, kalinic should really have scored there to equalise.

Dunn.... so close. Unbelievable pressure from Blackburn now. Finally getting into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Guzan's showing his limitations tonight I think. Excellent shot stopper, but does not command his area at all.

Jesus, he has hit the post twice now.

What do they have to do to score?

Blackburn really deserve to be level. Villa have shown nothing in this second half.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That_Guy wrote: »
    Blackburn really deserve to be level. Villa have shown nothing in this second half.

Karma for the peno we shoud have had.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    What do they have to do to score?

It has to go in between those post things :p

Especially Kalinic, he has had rotten luck this season with the chances that come his way.

Blackburn need to score in this leg, looks like if they are going to it's coming, but they have to watch the counter attack.

They were caught there Blackburn. Throwing too many men forward. Do so at your peril against the pace of Villa.

Ashley Young.... so close.

so heres hoping

get in there

another good bet by you Johner

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Halfway to Wembley.

Good result but poor enough second half.

How McCarthy didn't get a Red Card I will never know, that was just pure dirt

get in there

another good bet by you Johner

Lovely double you got there.

Cheers, few close shaves along the way though!

Great match. Would've been interesting if Blackburn equalised to keep it level going into the second leg but wasn't to be.

Guzan was extremely hit or miss for me. Good shot stopper but couldn't really deal with crosses. If Villa are to concede a goal in the second leg then I reckon it'll be because of him making an error.

Was a good game, Blackburn looked poor in the first half but really came out fighting in the second half and had enough chances to win it. Kalinic should have had two and could have even added a third after he woke up and Nzonzi could have equalised in the dying seconds. Reckon O'Neill will be chuffed to be away from there with the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Happy with that result, would've probably taken 1-1 to start with so to get a win was great. Villa very good in the first half, but were dissappointing in the second. Blackburn probably deserved a draw, although Villa should've had a penalty in the first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement