Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clueless about debs dreses

• 14-01-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

i was looking at debs dresses online(im broke) and just wondering whats the difference between matte satin, elastic woven satin, satin, chiffon, taffeta, organza and silk like satin??:confused:

and what would be the best for a debs dress???
    please help im absolutly clueless

oh and id love any sites you know aswel!!! thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

To be honest from reading your post it would be virtually impossible for me to explain the looks and textures of those fabrics.

All I can say is go into Brown Thomas, or Debenhams or TKmaxx have a look through the dresses there that you like, check the fabric in them then and take note of the styles, try a few on as well and see which style & fabric suits you best.

I get any dresses I need for any functions from Debenhams or littlewoods (cos I hate having to wander around shops and I always get discounds on there lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭k8bcly

ya thanks might go to cork for a look!! im not that fussy tbh! and i havnt seen many full length dresses like a formal evening dress is what im looking for!! if you know of any sights it would be brill!!!
    thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I wouldn't have a clue about full lengths I never buy them cos I wouldn't get enough use out of them! I always buy something I can re-use dressed up or down.

Try:
    Littlewoodsireland.ie
    Debenhams
    Asos.com

Might keep you busy looking for ideas until you see something you like.

Other places:
    Oasis
    Pamela Scott
    Coast
    Karen Millen
    Jane Norman

After that it's a blank I can't think of anymore lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k8bcly viewpost.gif
    whats the difference between matte satin, elastic woven satin, satin, chiffon, taffeta, organza and silk like satin??

These are all different types of materials, typical Debs dress materials.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k8bcly viewpost.gif
    and what would be the best for a debs dress???

Any of the above materials are fine, but it really depends. What type of dress do you want?

Below is a satin dress, its a shiny, soft type fabric, often figure hugging!
    duchess+satin+dress.jpg
    Matte satin is just a duller satin, not a shiny. Elastic woven satin is the figure hugging type of satin like a above.

Taffeta is a harder fabric
    As%20U%20Wish%20Taffeta%20Party%20Dress.jpg

This is a silk type dress, it hands heavy, can be clingy
    55021729_m1.jpg

Organza is a lighter, nearly see through type fabric, usually worn over a silk dress, it has a pretty texture. Can't fit a great pic for it unfortunately.

Chiffon is another light material, usually layered
    largeDessesChiffon.jpg

Try, eBay, or for shops, try Coast, Monsoon, Karen Millen. They can sometimes have gorgeous ones left in sales.I'll keep looking for more interesting sites, having a mind blank at the moment.

What kind of styles do you like? I'd look at celebs at awards shows, you can get ideas from them.
    Whats your favourite colour? Do you prefer long or shorter dresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭peppapig24

Alexanders Bridal on Parnell Street just behind Smyths is a great spot,can be a bit pricey though. Also id take a look at Belleza Bridal i know they have a bebo page with alot of pics maybe one will catch your eye. Have been to both dresses are amazing.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6910630389&TUUID=d28128a3-1238-4391-8ab9-ac813c0bb9e7

• Advertisement
Advertisement