Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will it take to sell my car (2005 Golf)?

• 14-01-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I'm shortly leaving these impoverished shores for a few years to escape the general depression. I'm hoping to be gone by mid February and I have to sell my car before then. I'm just wondering can anyone hazard a guess as to how long it would take me to move it on, either by private sale or to a garage? I don't want to leave it too late to sell it before I leave but at the same time I don't want to be without a car for a few weeks so I need to time it properly. I'd also hope to be able to get my money's worth for it.

It's a decent 05 Golf, in perfect nick, runnning v well and with low mileage so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too difficult to move on but I've no idea what the market is like at the moment.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hi

I'm shortly leaving these impoverished shores for a few years to escape the general depression. I'm hoping to be gone by mid February and I have to sell my car before then. I'm just wondering can anyone hazard a guess as to how long it would take me to move it on, either by private sale or to a garage? I don't want to leave it too late to sell it before I leave but at the same time I don't want to be without a car for a few weeks so I need to time it properly. I'd also hope to be able to get my money's worth for it.

It's a decent 05 Golf, in perfect nick, runnning v well and with low mileage so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too difficult to move on but I've no idea what the market is like at the moment.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Mileage, engine, spec? A day to never, depending on how well you price it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Charlie Meadows

Confab wrote: »
    Mileage, engine, spec? A day to never, depending on how well you price it.

2.0 Standard Diesel Injection, 57,000 miles. Fairly basic spec although there is a bluetooth hands-free kit installed. I see the same year/engine cars with an extra 20,000 miles going for around €9,000 to €9,500 on carzone.ie etc. I'd be happy to sell mine on for anything around €8,500 if I thought it would move it quickly. I just don't wanted to get taken to the cleaners just because I'm leaving the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

2.0 Standard Diesel Injection, 57,000 miles. Fairly basic spec although there is a bluetooth hands-free kit installed. I see the same year/engine cars with an extra 20,000 miles going for around €9,000 to €9,500 on carzone.ie etc. I'd be happy to sell mine on for anything around €8,500 if I thought it would move it quickly. I just don't wanted to get taken to the cleaners just because I'm leaving the country!

€8500 is a bit optimistic IMO, the 2.0SDi was never available in this country so you car is an import right? I'd be thinking more along the lines of €7500. the prices you see on carzone are'nt reflective of what cars are actually making i'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Zonda999 wrote: »
    €8500 is a bit optimistic IMO, the 2.0SDi was never available in this country so you car is an import right? I'd be thinking more along the lines of €7500. the prices you see on carzone are'nt reflective of what cars are actually making i'm afraid

And the SDI would be an unpopular choice because of the lack of a turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I'd be looking at the price of a basic TDi and taking €2000 minimum off of it. An SDi won't be very easy to shift unless priced right due to the large amount TDi's out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Charlie Meadows

Zonda999 wrote: »

Yes I brought it in from the North. To be honest, I didn't even realise it wasn't available down here (you can see my level of knowledge on the topic...). Thanks for the input. I guess advertising it around the €8k mark might be a starting point then, assuming some haggling is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I guess advertising it around the €8k mark might be a starting point then, assuming some haggling is involved.

There's not a hope you'll sell it at €8k. Maybe put it in for €6,999 and see if there is any interest? You might have to be prepared to take less than that, especially because you need to have it sold within 4 weeks really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'll buy it off ya. 47 cents and a paper clip...pockets empty now...see, you can sell cars quick. Lucky you, eh? I reckon 7k ish. Mainly because of the engine

Looking for €7000 for an SDi won't be condusive to getting it sold sharpish, there are loads of Golfs in dealers with similar asking prices. Most folks want a turbo diesel too, I couldn't see you getting more than €6000 for it unfortunately if you want it gone in Feb. As someone said put it on the net for €6950 and see is there any interest, as it's a 2.9 SDi anyone who does their homework will know you brought it in from the UK so they won't be paying top dollar for it. Plenty of muppets put there though but the recession has curtailed their spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Corkman1

Anybody looking for a diesal golf will want a TDI to be honest. 8,000 is a bit much for the SDI, but i think your right to price as this level as it gives you room to negotiate with a buyer. Golfs are always wanted so, you could get lucky. Best of luck with it anyways

• Advertisement
Advertisement