Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car - Extra keys worry!?!?!

• 14-01-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi - Only because I am a paranoid Freak..... :o

How do you know when you buy a used car that there is not another key in existence that is cut and coded ready to drive away your Motor at 4am a week later?

- Just for the sake of argument..... In the case of a Focus, could a main Dealer recode/flash/alter the immobiliser system and keys for peace of mind?

If so what would this cost, ballpark figure.

P.S. I was like this about the keys when I bought my 3 bed semi-detached too!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

its a valid worry............i still have a key for a car i used to own. i traded the car in and only found the second key afterwards.
    and i see the car around sometimes as somebody who lives/ works near my parents house must have bought it. I always mean to put the key in my car for when i see it next, but i reakon the new owner might get freaked out if i aproach them to give them the key!!!
    so i am sure it happens quite a bit. its pricey to get a replacement key, so i assume it would be expensive to get new keys, locks and ignition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

how could someone drive away your 3-bed semi-detached house??? :) ... in seriousness though you would be very unlucky to have something like that happen to you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Depending on the car it can be expensive.

If you have key holes on the driver, passenger door and boot it will be more expensive than a car which only has a key hole on the driver door and ignition. Lockable glove box?

I had a rover metro before that had three different keys =) No idea why.

You could get a steering wheel lock if you were feeling very nervous, or you could get an immobiliser fitted that you activate with a new button fob.

You can also get systems where you need to enter a code on a keypad to be able to start the car. Some of these systems even allow remote starting which would be even cooler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Could happen but in fairness if it's robbed shortly after purchase the seller is No. 1 suspect for the Gardai to chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

lock barrels and keys are expensive to replace , but if you dont mind the mild thought that they may steal the contents of your car then you can just have the immobiliser re coded, this will atleast stop them driving your car away, on some cars its easy enough to do so a dealer wouldnt charge much but some cars need the keys and immobiliser replaced and that could cost a lot

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »

I had a rover metro before that had three different keys =) No idea why.

One for ignition, one for doors & one for the boot ? Probably was stolen at some point and had ignition barrel and drivers door lock damaged, one possibility :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for all the replies Folks - much appreciated......

- If anyone has trade knowledge, or personal experience of any process that would render third-party keys obsolete I'd love to hear from ye with recommendations, details and prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

If its a Focus as you mention, the 04+ models can have the keys unique code removed from the immobilizer system by the dealer, 5 minute job (still charge minimum 30 mins).

The deleted key wont start it but it will still open the doors and turn in the ignition.

Not sure of the Mk1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it has an immobiliser then you just need to bring it to a main dealer with all the keys you have and have the keys recoded. Any keys that aren't present during the recoding process will not be recognised by the immobiliser and while they will open the car they will not start it.

crosstownk wrote: »
    If it has an immobiliser then you just need to bring it to a main dealer with all the keys you have and have the keys recoded. Any keys that aren't present during the recoding process will not be recognised by the immobiliser and while they will open the car they will not start it.

Thanks for that - much appreciated :)

Anyone happen to know if these comes with a DIY route? Saw a few how to's on the Web for coding new keys - not sure if this extends to bumping the code on the immobiliser itself etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Dealer only. Bring all the keys you have (I presume you have a spare set, if not buy them) and they will delete the old permissions and update with the new permissions.

You have to do this on any modern car that's new to you,
    clear the key memory permissions, except for the keys you have.

Got it - thanks again to all on here ;)

Advertisement