Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying at UCD

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Im irish but i currently live in the middle east, am in my final year of school and need to select my prefered university with the CAO. The problem is, i havent been home to Ireland for the past 5 years and would like to hear the pros and cons of studying at UCD as I need help making up my mind. It would be interesting to hear from people who attended the open days or similar events... Also helpful would be current students opinions on things like the atmosphere on campus, parties, residences, societies, typ of students, etc... thanks in advance for answers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

UCD - the wikipedia article.

Generally it's much the same as any other college in the country regarding social life, lots of sports clubs and societies. There's two pubs and it's about 20-25 minutes by bus from the city centre (approximately). The open day is much about showing you what courses there are, where certain buildings are etc... not much really (for more information on the open day you'd want to look at the 'college' or 'leaving cert' forum). What course are you applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

BComm maybe with spanish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

Great college, tho joining clubs to meet people is almost essential. Classes are so big that its rare to be sitting beside the same people from one lecture to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Great college, tho joining clubs to meet people is almost essential. Classes are so big that its rare to be sitting beside the same people from one lecture to the next.
    That depends on which course you do. Everyone knows everyone on my course, and has done pretty much since the start.

From what I gather, the Commerce International courses tend to be good for getting to know people (although Commerce itself is huge).

That said, do join clubs and societies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

el oh el wrote: »
    BComm maybe with spanish

One of my school friends is in his final year of this course, it's excellent and you get to spend a year in Spain on erasmus.

Not necessarily. My aforementioned friend had no trouble whatsoever making friends and he was commuting from Kildare, he never joined societies and only did a bit of boxing in first year. You will be thrown into some modules with the regular BComm but if you're doing Spanish most of the time there's only 20 people or so in a class. Also you'll meet loads of people in tutorials.

• Advertisement
Advertisement