Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divide a Kentia palm?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all. I have an indoor potted Kentia palm. It's 3 years old and stands 4 feet tall and in good condition. The problem is it is growing too big for the apartment. It is quite wide and doesn't fit comfortable in its corner. I have seen much more mature and taller Kentias that seem much less dense. I can count about 5 trunks each supporting 4 or 5 fronds.

Can this plant be divided? Does it have 1 rootball or is it likely to have been made from more than 1 in the nursery. If the latter then it must be possible to split.???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it has a number of stems then it will be several plants - this is the most likely situation. You should be able to take it out of the pot and split it, though you might have to use a bit of brute force. Water the plant a while before splitting it and use good quality compost. You might find one or two of the fronds die off afterwards if they are damaged. Plant up both bits and see which looks best when it has settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Online01

Hi

bought one of these the other day

Staff member there said that if you want to keep it from growing too big to clip away some of the roots.

I;ve never heard of this before myself but might help , otherwise you;ll be dividing again shortly

R

Advertisement