Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greek youghart

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

picked this up the other day in the supermarket by mistake meant to get the cream beside it.

can i use this in cooking instead of cream ie. currys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

lucky-colm wrote: »
    picked this up the other day in the supermarket by mistake meant to get the cream beside it.

can i use this in cooking instead of cream ie. currys

Yes you can. It will be delicious. But don't boil/simmer it or it will split. Add it at the end of the cooking process instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

mags16 wrote: »
    Yes you can. It will be delicious. But don't boil/simmer it or it will split. Add it at the end of the cooking process instead.

I wouldn't necessarily advise this across the board. You can substitute yoghurt for cream in certain cases but in a lot of dishes it will be a total disaster because of the difference in taste and texture. But for curry it should probably work alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Mix with mayonaise to make a yummy dressing also....

In curry's its fantastic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A very good substitute for cream in savoury dishes.

http://www.coopfoodstore.com/content/co-op-shelves-1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I wouldn't put it in a curry. Maybe try a tomato riata to accompany a curry though:

150ml of greek yoghurt, 1 large or 2 small tomatos chopped finely, 1/4 of a red onion chopped very finely, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, salt & pepper, mix and finish woth some fresh coriander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't think it would be great in a curry, I use coconut milk/cream instead of cream for a similar effect and it doesn't make the curry necessarily that coconutty. But fair enough if people use it in curries, maybe I should try it again.

Use as a dessert, put in ramekin, on top of some honey, or maybe some cold toasted nuts, and on the top put a thick layer of brown sugar. Let it stand for a while until the sugar dissolves, or maybe torch it to get a crust. One of my top 5 favourite desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Meant to pick up some today, never used it before but wanted to try it in a marinade can't remember where I got the recipe for or the measurements but it basically involved marinading chicken or pork in Greek yogurt, Paprika, Cumin and Coriander (think it was on the F word) and pop them of skewers and cook.

Leaving the meat to marinade for as long as possible over night if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Tzatziki with grilled Pita bread is an awesome lunch

Grate 1/4 of a cucumber and add a pinch of salt to it, in a bowl and leave it for 5 minutes for all the water to be drawn out.

Then grate or finely chop a clove of garlic

drain the cucumber add to 100ml yogurt, with garlic, pinch of cumin, chopped mint, then season with salt and lemon juice to taste

rub garlic and a little olive oil on a piece of pitta bread place in a medium hot pan until brown on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always use Greek Style yoghurt in curry. That along with chopped fresh tomatoes makes up the liquid in my curry. I put it in after the meat and spices and onion have cooked for a while and simmer for a few hours - it doesn't split.

Also love it as a simple, light dessert. Just with some lemon curd of stewed fruit.

Some is also good in mashed potatoes.

I love the stuff!!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I have marinated lamb in yoghurt & spices (garam masala) for curries but I'd used natural yoghurt never greek. Do ya reckon the greek yoghurt would be an improvement on the natural version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have marinated lamb in yoghurt & spices (garam masala) for curries but I'd used natural yoghurt never greek. Do ya reckon the greek yoghurt would be an improvement on the natural version?
    It's a bit thicker.

I use it cause it's what we always have in the fridge but, yeah, I think it probably is better for cooking as it's less 'watery'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i love greek yoghurt! dunno if anyone else has tried it but lidl do an absolutely amazing one, comes in a bucket type container, costs about 3euro... yum-o

Advertisement