Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sooo Tired!!

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the Leaving Cert really taking it out of you too?? :mad: I generally get 6-7 hours sleep a night... not enough in my opinion! My eyelids are like lead by the time I get home from school. Its the early bus thats the problem really - 7.25am :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Go to bed earlier.

Problem = solved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Lucky, I get at most 6 hours. i have huge sleeping problems, especially coming out of holidays, due to staying up too late, then waking up at like 2/3. Last night, I went to sleep at like 3, got up at 9, plus side is that I live 2 minutes drive from school. I have gone in so many days with my eyes all bloodshot and stuff.

And not really, it hasn't kicked in yet, which sucks, when it does I think I'll just be constantly freaking out. I should be fine, I've spent the last week just thinking about the summer, oh dear god, I can't wait for this year to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

IMy eyelids are like lead by the time I get home from school.

Have a 20 minute power nap. That's what your body is telling you to do. Diet is important too. Eats carbs that give you long lasting energy rather than a quick shot of energy and then you bottom out an hour later. Eat rice and pasta. Cheap and cheerful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 12345678910

pathway33 wrote: »
    Have a 20 minute power nap. That's what your body is telling you to do. Diet is important too. Eats carbs that give you long lasting energy rather than a quick shot of energy and then you bottom out an hour later. Eat rice and pasta. Cheap and cheerful

+1 Ensure that you are getting plenty of Iron (green veg, liver etc.) into you. Tiredness can sometimes be a sign of an Iron deficiency.
    Hydration is also hugely important, you should try and get as much water into you as possible. You should be constantly sipping away though and not just large amounts now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Also, taking up jogging. Not only is it a great way to clear your mind when you are stressed but also it helps to energise you

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I have only just recently solved this problem. I go to bed at 11 wake up at 6:45am get some porridge, a glass of OJ and a cod liver oil and then I'm off. I walk to the train station as it gets me awake, then i buy a bottle of water in school and I go through one every 4-5 classes. Go home, study for an hour or so and have a nice dinner and study some more and I'm fine. It takes a while to get used to, before i used to get like 6 hours sleep, skip breakfast and miss dinner most nights and just live off snacks and junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Go to bed earlier.

Problem = solved
    Rubbish.

Tried it last night and was just as tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Are you active and fit??

I couldn't stress how important it is to be physically fit during 6th year,

You feel better becuase of endorphines,
    You have more energy as a result ( so less tired)
    and also the sort of healthier feeling you get Im my personal opinion definetly helps you concentrate, is stimulating and helps you do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I've been wrecked the last couple of days, my body is still on my christmas sleeping timetable. And it just sunk in that my mocks are two weeks away which calls for a few late night study secessions. Still! It's the weekend, two nights of uninterrupted sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Go to bed earlier.

Problem = solved

better solution = drink coffee

• Advertisement

Daragh101 wrote: »
    better solution = drink coffee

Coffee makes you MORE tired...

Coffee makes you MORE tired...

lol.. Id have to disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

coffee%20poster.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Tried it last night and was just as tired.

Agreed.

I start homework around 5, take regular breaks etc. but it's usually past 10.30 when I'm finished so I'm in bed by 11 on a good night. Up at 7, so 8 hours but still wrecked to bits. Today was particularly bad - my Irish teacher turned the lights off to use the overhead projector and I almost drifted off :eek:

Daragh101 wrote: »
    lol.. Id have to disagree!

Caffeine is a diuretic. When you are dehydrated you become more tired. What's more the bust/alertness you get is short term, and afterwards you "crash" and end up worse off than before you drank the coffee...

Caffeine is a diuretic. When you are dehydrated you become more tired. What's more the bust/alertness you get is short term, and afterwards you "crash" and end up worse off than before you drank the coffee...[/quote

well it works for me mate..:D

I'm sure it does...

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Found the solution:

berocca.jpg
    :cool:

Found the solution:

berocca.jpg
    :cool:

Been using it myself ;) Tastes nice too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Which Berocca do you people buy? I notice that there are a few types, and I want to make sure I get the right one (it's expensive!).

• Advertisement

Berocca Performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

It takes it out of ya
    just like the JC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is also a pretty bad time of year for people feeling tired.
    Things get better when the days are longer.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I'm wrecked these days as well. Only recently started football training as well, and I am so unfit it isn't even fair!

It doesn't seem to tire the other lads as much, but I am ****ed when I get home from training and the morning after. Really hard to study those nights after training.

I take Berocca as well, some orange flavour, very nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Make sure you have a nutritious and balanced diet. That can be a huge contributory factor to tiredness and lack of energy. If you have a balanced diet you shouldn't need to take Berocca or any other supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I'm not sure why but I'm not as tired since the start of January as I was before. Nothing's changed. I guess my body's just adjusted or something. If I am tired though I tend to drink tea or coke for the caffeine. I know it's bad but nothing else seems to work and if I take a power nap I tend to wake up about three hours later with no time for homework. :p

I've noticed that it can be a pretty bad year health wise. It's pretty easy to live off junk and miss breakfasts with the workloads and early mornings. I have not once in my life gotten a cold sore no matter how run down I've been. Have two either side of my mouth now. :mad: Also there's the stress of it all which is bad for health in general but is even worse if you're a smoker. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Yeah guys watch the stress levels. I was at the doctor only a few weeks ago for a driving test medical and we were chatting away about the leaving cert and that's what he said. Cold and flu's are much more common and concentration and sleep is affected and what not!

I find just going to bed at half 10 does the job. I don't learn anything after that anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I used to sleep at 10pm and get up at 7am but I was always tired no matter how many hours of sleep I get (plus most of the time I don't fall asleep until 11pm). I started trying out the method Steve Palina used in his "How to become an early riser" article. Now I go to bed at 11~01 and for some reason, feels more refresh. So I don't think quantity of sleep plays a big role as long as you get 6+ hours but I guess everyone's bodies are different :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

I've noticed that it can be a pretty bad year health wise. It's pretty easy to live off junk and miss breakfasts with the workloads and early mornings. I have not once in my life gotten a cold sore no matter how run down I've been. Have two either side of my mouth now. :mad: Also there's the stress of it all which is bad for health in general but is even worse if you're a smoker. :p

Cold Sores = herpes

So while you could have had "herpes" lying dormant all your childhood and cold sores are only making an appearance now or you kissed one of the 60% of people with some manner of herpes in the last while.

I''ve been keeping myself by eating a ridiculous amount of food. Always eating I am..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

berrocca was great earlier.

But then my stomach became more sensitive especially to alcohol.
    so bye berocca!

so now its pharmaton + ABBA + coffee(when needs be) .. and that is the recipe for success until i get around to doing exercise and a better diet which is what will get me through med school!:D

Advertisement