Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL English Tips?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

So my teacher has spent the last two years sitting at the top of our class and basically refusing to teach us. I've been trying to teach myself the course for the past few weeks, but at this rate I'm looking at a high C or low B, when I had tagged English as one of my A subjects.

So, friends, does anyone have any advice on what revision books to use, or have any handy tips or old notes? I know it's madness asking for notes, but if you happen to have any lying around on your computer, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm studying King Lear as my single text, and Wuthering Heights, Il Postino and The Playboy of The Western World for my comparative. And then, naturally, the 2010 poets.

Please, even the slightest bit of help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

For the comparative texts get "comparative study 2010" by mary slattery.It's about 10-12 euro and
    It covers W.H, P.W.W and Il postinpostino really really well,
    I used it to study and i got 55 outt 70 for my comparative at Xmas.

Also if you p.m. me your e-mail addrress i can give you 2 pdf files i recieved from an NCI english revision course i went to, bout 100 pages overall, covers paper 1 + 2 inc. poets, + Lear

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

key notes

best book ever :) covers everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Do we get 20mins extra in paper 1 and 2 this year??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Daragh101 wrote: »
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

No,that extra 20 minutes was added years ago and was in place last year too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I've recieved about 5 requests for the revision papers i got a NCI,

If people want them just pm me your email and i'll get them to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

when you answering your question on the comparative make sure you use loads of

-however
    -although
    -when compared to

etc as you get alot of marks from what i was told as these are the key words to show your comparing texts, now just make sure you compare texts and dont sumerize!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Why are you doing Wuthering Heights as a comparative? It's a huge book. If you're teaching yourself pretty much you'd be better off doing shorter books for the comparative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Sorry not a tip just didnt feel the need to start a new thread. Left my papers in locker.

Could anyone take a look at their HL English papers and tell me what year is p28 and p88 from? Thanks in advance:)

Why are you doing Wuthering Heights as a comparative? It's a huge book. If you're teaching yourself pretty much you'd be better off doing shorter books for the comparative.
    I'm doing it for my comparative, it's not that long. And you only really need to know key scenes well for the comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

pg 28= 2008, pg88= 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Thanks! Lifesaver:)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

sems like it....it says so on the timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

send me a pm with your email address, ive a few sample answers if you want me to send them to you

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

If you give me your email I can give you some stuff on Play Boy. I cannot say when I will have them for you though. Would also be nice if you could scan me any poetry notes from 5th year as I am a repeat student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

fufureida wrote: »
    If you give me your email I can give you some stuff on Play Boy. I cannot say when I will have them for you though. Would also be nice if you could scan me any poetry notes from 5th year as I am a repeat student.
    Anywho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

I agree it is brilliant. Especially for the play and for cultural context.

Advertisement