Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing a price sticker from an instrument?

• 14-01-2010 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

This may sound like a stupid question but does anyone know a way of removing a price sticker from a wooden instrument without damaging the gloss finish? I bought a bouzouki earlier today and I just tried to remove the sticker from the body but it didn't completely come off, there's still some sticker left and there's also a big messy patch of glue. Does anyone know of a type of polish or spray that will loosen up the remaining paper and clean up the glue? Regular guitar polish won't work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

you could try a very small amount of nail polish remover. (always worth testing somewhere inconspicuous first;)) otherwise there are sprays you can buy for this very purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Edja

Man thats so annoying isn't it!?? I mean, what tulip would put glue right on the wood of an instrument!!! I ask ya? Why didn't they just hang a label off it, for Gods sake!!?!??!?!

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Organeer

Do not use nail polish remover! It is much too agressive & will possibly dissolve the finish. Most adhesive label residue can be removed with White Spirit. It may take a little time but is unlikely to attack the lacquer. Another product to try is Isopropyl Alcohol which is available in most chemist shops. It is also a good general cleaning agent & evaporates quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i hate sticky stickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Bring it back to the shop and have them take it off. If they make a mess of the finish they can fix it for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

If it was a guitar I would use lem oil but Im not sure on a bozouki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

get some iso

infact if you have a video recorder cleaning tape or one of those spindle things for cleaning CD's then you probably already have a little bottle of it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Lemon Oil will do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bod1

Easiest, quickest and safest way is to get a hair dryer, hold it about 6 inches away and lightly heat the area, this reactivates the adhesive and will come cleanly away. Doesn't need much heat, don't hold the hair dryer too close and it will work fine.

also works on stickers applied to car windows by fascist clampers. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

dont put a bone in it! that only makes it worse
    10550-20071218001212.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I've used lighter fluid before after I saw someone recommend it it. It will get the residue off and evaporate away so there is no risk of it going on fire or anything!

Advertisement