Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec GSM dialer - what network SIM?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭

I had a think about putting this question up in the Comms and Mobile forum, but I don't think it fits there.
    I'm considering changing over from a landline to another service, but I have an autodialer on my Astec system, hence I'll need a GSM converter (Astec's L2M).

What mobile services do people use and how is this managed in terms of keeping call credit topped up and valid and such?
    My alarm may not go off for months on end, so I guess that this will play havoc with the top-up periods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I had a think about putting this question up in the Comms and Mobile forum, but I don't think it fits there.
    I'm considering changing over from a landline to another service, but I have an autodialer on my Astec system, hence I'll need a GSM converter (Astec's L2M).

What mobile services do people use and how is this managed in terms of keeping call credit topped up and valid and such?
    My alarm may not go off for months on end, so I guess that this will play havoc with the top-up periods?

Hi 10-10-20,

The D2M GSM works by turning a sim card into a telephone line so the alarm can ring your phone. This will only work with a voice dialer. In terms of what sim to use, i have used these with 087,086,085 but you will have to see which one gives you the best signal in your area. What you should do is register the sim on line, get the code they send to your mobile then you can check out and top up your sim on line, saves you taking the sim out of the D2M to check. Another thing to do is activate the alarm every 5 months to keep the sim active. It will be cut off if you dont use it at lease once every 6 months.

Hope this helps..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Astec unit is Called D2M (Dialler to mobile). As altor said it will only work with voice ,not text. The good side of this is it will work with any providor. (Texts can not be sent via UPC or Smart)
    To be sure of signal we use Sim cards provided by europlex. They cost around €10 a month including some text & calls (off hand I think its 10 minutes voice & 10 texts per month) The good thing about these is they are English nembers roaming on Irish networks so they will connect to any available network.
    When you say you have an audodialler on your astec alarm is it a 63 or 49 DV?
    if it "D" you will need to change the panel for voice dialler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi - thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, it's the voice dialer alright.

I looked at some of the SIM control units from RF Solutions (http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/GSM_Modems.html) as they are cheaper and fully support SMS (not that the alarm does, but I could re-use outputs for heating control etc...), but I just wanted to know whether there are any telecoms companies offering better contract terms depending on their packages.

I suppose it's a case where I just need to try one service and see if it's OK, if not, ditch it!

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Hi - thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, it's the voice dialer alright.

I looked at some of the SIM control units from RF Solutions (http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/GSM_Modems.html) as they are cheaper and fully support SMS (not that the alarm does, but I could re-use outputs for heating control etc...), but I just wanted to know whether there are any telecoms companies offering better contract terms depending on their packages.

I suppose it's a case where I just need to try one service and see if it's OK, if not, ditch it!

Your welcome,

The best thing to do would be to get on to them and they will give you a better picture of the prices and take it from there..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you already have an account with Vodafone you can get a data sim on a tarrif called TB01 for €5 a month. Its not going to use any data so you wont be charged. Calls are expensive (around 50c a minute) but all going well it will be rarly used & the longest message would be only 20-30 sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ah thanks KoolKid.
    I'll have a look at that. I assume I can link it into my existing Vodafone account, which makes it easier again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

koolkid wrote: »
    If you already have an account with Vodafone you can get a data sim on a tarrif called TB01 for €5 a month. Its not going to use any data so you wont be charged. Calls are expensive (around 50c a minute) but all going well it will be rarly used & the longest message would be only 20-30 sec.

No need for that Koolkid, I can get any amount of sims from Vodefone for no monthly charge and if I remember correctly the call are about 30C per minute. They just charge me for the calls that it makes.

Are they on bill or prepay Fred??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Are they on bill or prepay Fred??

They're on the bill. And AFAIK other networks do the same.

You would be better off getting an 085 sim top it up by €5, 3 times a year. It would cost you €15 for the monitoring for the year. As said before, make sure you activate a panic or an alarm condition on the alarm at lease once every 5 months to keep your sim active..

• Advertisement

Depending on the digi used, the option to top up online would be easier.
    Some digis require a power down/up to reconnect to a GSM network,

Depending on the digi used, the option to top up online would be easier.
    Some digis require a power down/up to reconnect to a GSM network,

If the sim is topped up on line there is no need to power down/up as the credit goes straight onto the sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭minder2009

altor wrote: »
    You would be better off getting an 085 sim top it up by €5, 3 times a year. It would cost you €15 for the monitoring for the year. As said before, make sure you activate a panic or an alarm condition on the alarm at lease once every 5 months to keep your sim active..

Hi Altor
    It's 2012 now. Is the 085 still the best value sim to get do you know ? Am getting add on hkc dialler and want to get the best value sim. Also would you know can the hkc dialler to send a test call every so often do you know? I am not sure what dialler model it is exactly , except it's an add on for panel and sends txt not voice ... Thanks
    Minder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement