Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony EricssonC510 automatically connecting to internet

• 14-01-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ive just bought Sony Ericsson C510 but have a problem that it automatically connects to the internet (I think) when I start the phone up.

It originally connected to the 3G network and used up a good bit of my credit before I realised how to select 'GSM network only' but even now the Globe picture still appears in the top-left of my screen (in colour) beside the signal bars. There is also the letter 'E' above the signal bars (in place of the 'G' that was there when the 3G network was enabled)

Does the coloured globe and 'E' mean Im connected to the internet, and how can I remove it? Even though Ive no credit it still appears, and Im worried now that when I top up a lot of my credit will disappear for something I never wanted.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The 'E' mean you are connected to edge networks. You need to work out what is trying to connect.

Often email trying to refresh, or time doing auto update is another. Think of when you setup the phone, did you select anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Hi Davy,

I was prompted to update the time when I turned it on and I selected yes, but surely it doesnt keep an open connection to try update it constantly?

What exactly is edge networks?

Hi Davy,

I was prompted to update the time when I turned it on and I selected yes, but surely it doesnt keep an open connection to try update it constantly?

What exactly is edge networks?

No normally it would check maybe once a day, but should still check the settings and rule it out.

Edge is the same as a 3G connection, but its a lower quality.

Ok got you thanks. Do you have any idea how to switch it off on the C510? I cant find it anywhere in settings etc and the user guide doesnt seem to have anything either!

Try Menu > settings > time & date

• Advertisement

Nah there doesnt seem to be anything in that... this is really frustrating. Ive deleted Web feeds, email settings and everything I could find that might use an internet connection but still no luck.

Going to try Master Reset and see if that works.

You could delete the access points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

have you considered a data add on, I like the little web features on sonys, tagging pictures with google maps, news ticker updates etc... there a good phone on the web..

How would I do that?

(sorry for all the newbie Qs... Ive never had this problem with a phone!!)

have you considered a data add on, I like the little web features on sonys, tagging pictures with google maps, news ticker updates etc... there a good phone on the web..

you should download opera mini mobile the latest beta to your phone, it will improve web surfing a lot, the c510 supports up to 3.6mb 3G interent. It could easily stream you tube videos etc.

• Advertisement

oops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Which provider do you have? O2? Some of the customised firmware causes the phone to have the globe icon all of the time, which is disconcerting.

You could muck about with the firmware.

Or simply set up a dud access point whose settings could not work and make this default and just change back to real setting if you actually want to do use the Internet.

Thanks for the help guys.

ardmacha, you were right... I rang o2 and they said that the globe and 'E' just mean Im in an area where I can get internet, and not that Im actually connected.

Seems a bit odd considering all the other Sony Ericssons Ive had show the globe when you are connected! Oh well!

Advertisement