Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water - The Big Freeze

• 14-01-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey All,

I am without water from last thursday. Finally got the mains supply back this morning. Was up in the attic and the tank is filling perfectly, toilets, and cold water to taps all over the house.

My problem is the hot taps all over are not working. I stuck my ear to the cylinder in the hot press and I cant hear anything filling? What could be wrong here?#

Cheers
    Fint

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

finto wrote: »
    Hey All,

I am without water from last thursday. Finally got the mains supply back this morning. Was up in the attic and the tank is filling perfectly, toilets, and cold water to taps all over the house.

My problem is the hot taps all over are not working. I stuck my ear to the cylinder in the hot press and I cant hear anything filling? What could be wrong here?#

Cheers
    Fint

Your cylinder has remained full through the entire water off duration. Water goes in the bottom, out the top, if water stops going in the bottom, water stops going out the top. This is why you cant hear cylinder filling. I sounds more like an air lock problem in hot water supply pipes after cylinder or supply to cylinder is air locked.

If you close cylinder feed valve, with a bucket close to hand, disconnect bottom half of valve, separate valve from pipe, hold closed valve over bucket then open valve, leave it open until you have a constant flow of water, turn back off valve, connect valve to pipe, tighten up nut, turn on valve, check for leaks, open kitchen sink hot tap.

If no water @ kitchen sink,

If you have a mono sink tap, two taps one spout, open hot tap, hold palm of hand firmly against tap spout, open cold side. Doing this will force cold water back up hot side right out cylinder vent in attic, removing all trapped air in pipe work, the size of pipe run will determine how long to keep cold tap open, can take anything from 1 min to 3 mins.

If you haven't got a mono tap @ sink, figure out a way to use some hose, duck tape, cable ties etc to connect one tap to the other.

Advertisement