Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starlet GT TURBO

• 15-01-2010 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am thinking of buying a EP82 starlet.If I buy one it will probally be a pretty standard model.Im 17 and have a provisional licence.If I get it I will be puting it on my parents policy.Has anyone done this and do they know how much this would cost.
    Many Thanks

Comments

Probably a non runner, best case scenario one of your parents insures it and gets you on as a named driver, best of luck though, you'll need it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Insurance companies are not stupid.

What are the odds that an insurance company will swallow this story of a stereotypical mother that has a probable immaculate driving history with a hum-drum car suddenly buys a GT turbo and thinks it may be a nice idea to insure her 17 yo son with a provisional licence???

Think again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

im assuming this car would be reg'd in your name op?
    not a hope. insurance companies won't entertain the idea sadly. Join the rest of us driving sh*t boxes, shake your fist at insurance people and when your on a full licence try again. Should be affordable.
    My insurance company wont insure any under 25's apparently on a 1.3 starlet. But thats hear say

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

You'd be lucky to get insured on it at 17 especially without a full licence. Start with something a little less powerfull like a straight 1.3 starlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sorry bud, but not a chance to get a starlet turbo as you first car...

Get a 1.0 starlet and drop in cynos block in to it, will do you for awile...

When you will get more hair on your PYP! drop a turbo and you will have a savage yoke :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

hahaha no chance mate. get a micra and be happy you have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

No way that's going to happen. I remember trying to insure a Glanza when i was 17 through my parents and the insurance company practically laughed us of the phone. Spend two or three years driving something slow and insurance-friendly, and eventually you'll be able to get insurance on a Starlet Turbo a few years down the line. Chances are, you'll probably have outgrown the Starlet/Glanza craze like i did by that stage though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

FearDark wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

whats wrong with his suggestion?

kceire wrote: »
    sorry bud, but not a chance to get a starlet turbo as you first car...

Get a 1.0 starlet and drop in cynos block in to it, will do you for awile...

When you will get more hair on your PYP! drop a turbo and you will have a savage yoke :p

"Hi, can I get a quote on a 1.0 Starlet with a recent engine change please, yeas I got a Cynos engine installed. Also could I get my 17 year old son on the policy"

also "drop a turbo" to a cynos engine would cost muchus euros if done properly, it's not a case of just dropping in a turbo.

I thought the post was well worthy of a :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

First off, a cynos engine won't just slot into a 1.0 starlet, a bit of work is needed, probably more than most 17 year olds are capable of, or able to afford. Secondly, you can't just "turbo the engine" later on as easily as is suggested. And third, there's no chance of being able to insure this car either, so it would probably also be advised to not declare the modifications.

So, :rolleyes:.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Cynos block will take a starlet turbo head relativity easily . Thats not the point though.

The issues is going to be insurance. Unless you have lots of money to give to the insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

hedge.jpg

Get used to seeing this, because you'll end up in many of them.

A 17 year old, with no previous experience on the road, and no full licence, driving a relatively powerful, light, turbo engined car will either kill himself or someone else sooner or later.

Stupid, stupid idea OP. Start out small, and in a few years if you havent ruined your no claims bonus, look at getting something more exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No more rolleye posts please, they're really stupid.

First off, a cynos engine won't just slot into a 1.0 starlet, a bit of work is needed, probably more than most 17 year olds are capable of, or able to afford. Secondly, you can't just "turbo the engine" later on as easily as is suggested. And third, there's no chance of being able to insure this car either, so it would probably also be advised to not declare the modifications.

;)

where do i start... cynos block and starlet 1.3 are allmoust indentical, cynos is a bit higher. Droping in cynos block in to starlet is plug and play if you know what you do. that is the beuti of olde toyotas, they can share a HUGE amount of parts between them.

got a friend who did convertion from 1.0 to 1.5 cynos into starlet, he took 200eu for work. it took 1 day, sunday in the back of his house with no garadge etc...

and yeah.. he drives a glanza with cynos block with 320hp...

like i said you can do convertion and have 1.5 in starlet which will do for awile. It depends from OP if he feels that he will drive carefull enought to not bring insurance issues...

And yeah, stop writting off young drivers even before they start to drive... mine first car was 626 2.0i and i newer hit anything. i was driving like a bastord aswell back then :rolleyes:.

its same as saying: all TDIs are being driven by douchbags... specially TDi passats! get mine point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

And yeah, stop writting off young drivers even before they start to drive... mine first car was 626 2.0i and i newer hit anything. i was driving like a bastord aswell back then :rolleyes:.

its same as saying: all TDIs are being driven by douchbags... specially TDi passats! get mine point?

Exactly whats to stop mammy and daddy from insuring them in there 180brake a6 at 17 with no experiance much for muchness i would think.Op I doubt you will get insurance on a car at 17 on a provisional im 20 and have a glanza fully comp for 1400 but i have full licence 2 years 3 years no claims and no points and i had a hell of a job to get insurance on it.Try and get your full licence as soon as possible and work from there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

like i said you can do convertion and have 1.5 in starlet which will do for awile. It depends from OP if he feels that he will drive carefull enought to not bring insurance issues...

Being careful does not mean you'll never have the need for insurance.

Congratulations, blue peter badge in the post.

No, it's completely different. It's a 17 year old with no experience and presumably no advanced training driving a car with a relatively high power to weight ratio.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Being careful does not mean you'll never have the need for insurance.

Congratulations, blue peter badge in the post.

No, it's completely different. It's a 17 year old with no experience and presumably no advanced training driving a car with a relatively high power to weight ratio.

blue peter badge? wtfudge is that? :rolleyes:

standart glanza is not as fast as you think, alot of sound, but not much speed. i have seen 25++ people with zero experience driving on roads, nut much big difference.

Maybe if ireland would make a proper driving license system? i dont know, maybe let people to drive on roads AFTER they pass they practical test? Like rest of the europe? ( not includint uk). When i got mine driving license i was 18, i was in driving school for 4 months. 3 times per weak theory classes 2 times per weak practical lessons in car. All this ofcourse had nothing to do with me driving 2.0 car and not hitting anything. I was young and idiot ofc, i was lucky not to hit stuff! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'd suggest a bit less driving like a 'bastord', and bit more time focusing on english class.

alastair wrote: »
    I'd suggest a bit less driving like a 'bastord', and bit more time focusing on english class.

i suggest you to fudge of as i am not irish, english languadge is not mine native speaking languadge. and ussuall "roll eyes" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I actually know a guy that was driving a CTR when he was 17, on Mammy's policy.

He was paying 2200 IIRC, he had a full licence though

Wasn't that long ago either, his ended up getting stolen about...a year and a half ago, he had it for 7 months, so it was doable 2 years ago, I'd say it's still doable. Very bad idea though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

alastair wrote: »

This is not the English forum, don't post stuff like that again.
    i suggest you to fudge of as i am not irish, english languadge is not mine native speaking languadge.

Report the post next time please.

eoin wrote: »
    This is not the English forum, don't post stuff like that again.

Report the post next time please.

sorry, i will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RoverJames wrote: »
    "Hi, can I get a quote on a 1.0 Starlet with a recent engine change please, yeas I got a Cynos engine installed. Also could I get my 17 year old son on the policy"

also "drop a turbo" to a cynos engine would cost muchus euros if done properly, it's not a case of just dropping in a turbo.

I thought the post was well worthy of a :rolleyes:

;)

was just curious! not really up on the toyota engines tbh
    but the poster did say to insure a standard car and then after some experience mod it up a little.

ive heard of the cynos engines being put into the GT/Glanza before as it then essentially becomes a 1.5 turbo with proper internals and mapping.

ps - you should seek out specsavers, all those roll eyes must be hurting by now :P

but the poster did say to insure a standard car and then after some experience mod it up a little.

ive heard of the cynos engines being put into the GT/Glanza before as it then essentially becomes a 1.5 turbo with proper internals and mapping.

ps - you should seek out specsavers, all those roll eyes must be hurting by now :P

pm'ed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Basically, the engine to look for is the 5e-fhe, i think was only in the cynos B. It has stronger internals, and is more suitable for the job than the 5e-fe which is more common. The problem is, it's quite difficult to even get the 5e-fhe, the only way really, is to buy the full car off someone who doesn't realise what they have:P.

Back on topic, it'll end up being more difficult and expensive to insure a fully declared starlet with 1.5 engine than a gt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dave.mc.

I thought it could be done because there is someone near me with a gt turbo with a provisional and on mammys licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It probably can be done, but it's probably not 100% legit.

Advertisement