Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sorry how much?!?!?!?!

• 15-01-2010 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

Evenin' lads. Just got off the phone with a dealer. (Why he was ringing me this late I have no idea!) He was calling back to let me know how much he was going to offer on my car against a trade in.

Firstly my car. 2002 Peugeot 206. Couple tiny minor scratches. Mechanically sound. Major service done today. Tax for 3 months. NCT has 9 months left. New tyres. New clutch. New headlights. (others barely lit up 2 feet ahead of the car) Only 78,000 on her clock. Only problem with her is the drivers wing mirror is loose and the rear reg light casing is gone but this is being replaced tomorrow as it's only 20 quid. As for the mirror it just needs a screw. He offered me 1500 against any of their cars. Frankly I might tell him where to shove it because he could have that straight out on to the forecourt tomorrow morning and sell it with a juicy profit.

Would I be unreasonable to say no to the offer? Like isn't that what's being offered on scrappage cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Bonito wrote: »
    Evenin' lads. Just got off the phone with a dealer. (Why he was ringing me this late I have no idea!) He was calling back to let me know how much he was going to offer on my car against a trade in.

Firstly my car. 2002 Peugeot 206. Couple tiny minor scratches. Mechanically sound. Major service done today. Tax for 3 months. NCT has 9 months left. New tyres. New clutch. New headlights. (others barely lit up 2 feet ahead of the car) Only 78,000 on her clock. Only problem with her is the drivers wing mirror is loose and the rear reg light casing is gone but this is being replaced tomorrow as it's only 20 quid. As for the mirror it just needs a screw. He offered me 1500 against any of their cars. Frankly I might tell him where to shove it because he could have that straight out on to the forecourt tomorrow morning and sell it with a juicy profit.

Would I be unreasonable to say no to the offer? Like isn't that what's being offered on scrappage cars?

Is it the 1.6 or 2.0 model?

The dealer probably will make a decent enough profit off this all right - provided he doesn't have to put anything into it. The problem for him is that it might not be the easiest thing to shift. He'll probably have to hold on to it for a good while.

Will the dealer even sell the car or will he offload it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Cost to change is the only thing that matters. Bodywork can be costly to sort. What are you buying? Cash discount might outweigh trading in. Then sell privately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

May I ask why you spent all that cash on it when you were thinking of changing?

Cost to change is what matter as was said above, he could offer you €1,000 for your car and you could get a better deal in that place than another offering you €4,999 when you get the cost to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Well here's a 206 for €2,750 where the dealer is including a warranty, will be discounting it while also covering his expenses.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/1.4-LX-*/200951196236426/advert?channel=CARS

You've no expenses so you can undercut if you want to sell privately. How much were you expecting from the dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

1.1 It was my sisters and she gave me it but not pokey enough for me. He says he has a few girls starting out to drive and asking had they any of them in so I know he's going to sell her easy!

He doesn't have to put anything in to it at all. If he wants to spray the 2 inch scratch on the rear bumper and the little scuff on the side skirt he can go right ahead.

I told him I'd head up tomorrow to talk over it in person. Not a hope am I taking that measly amount when the car is perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Dealers are looking for average 3-3.5k forecourt prices before negotiation, so when you take their usual 1.5-2k of their offer price you get the offered 1.5k. Sounds about right

Dealers must provide a warranty on any used car sold, so if any repairs are required this can eat into their profit margin along with any negotiated discount

Well the headlights had to be done or I'd probably be in a ditch somewhere! As for the clutch? That was just dead when I got it. I'm not complaing because I got the car for free. I was expecting at least 1900-2000 euro because half a year ago she was offered 2300 against trade in of a 04 focus. But she gave it to me instead. TBH I might do a cash deal and then sell it privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

TBH I might do a cash deal and then sell it privately.

Yes much better doing this, can negotiate easier with the dealer with cash as it's a straight deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

EPM wrote: »
    Cost to change is the only thing that matters

Fully agree EPM, but its a concept most people are too stubborn to accept. For all we know, the dealers cars are all the cheapest on the net by a grand, yet all people say is "Not a hope am I taking that measly amount when the car is perfect".

Before I read how much the OP was offered, the initial price in my head was 1500-1800 off a keenly priced car. Its not worth much more than that to a dealer who is pricing his cars and the business end of cheap.

Yeah but when someone rings you at half 10 at night (Off the garages landline lol) and only offers 1500 euro you're gonna be a little less than pleased lol the car was given to me so no matter what i'm making profit on it, but my sis wouldnt be too happy hearing I let it go for 1500 when half a year ago she could have used it to save herself 2300 euro :rolleyes:

Although on the phone he did say if it turns out a little more we wont fall out. I suppose I'd be happy if I could get him to 1800 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yeah but when someone rings you at half 10 at night (Off the garages landline lol) and only offers 1500 euro you're gonna be a little less than pleased lol the car was given to me so no matter what i'm making profit on it, but my sis wouldnt be too happy hearing I let it go for 1500 when half a year ago she could have used it to save herself 2300 euro :rolleyes:

Although on the phone he did say if it turns out a little more we wont fall out. I suppose I'd be happy if I could get him to 1800 tbh.

6 months ago it was 2009. Its 2010 now, another year older

A reply like that means room to haggle. What's it against? Depends on car

mullingar wrote: »
    6 months ago it was 2009. Its 2010 now, another year older
    That's like saying if I buy a car in october it'd a year old in january. When in fact the car is only 3 months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

A good car salesman will recognise how much the trade-in value means to you and give you the 1800 while saying nothing about the €300 discount he was prepared to offer on his stock.

A reply like that means room to haggle. What's it against? Depends on car
    1.6 impreza RX. 03 but has more mileage than my car and it's NCT is due this month. My guess is it's been sitting there a while and he's dying to get rid of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

€1500 is about right to offer on an 8 year old 206. He'll probably sell it for €2,250, price it between €2,500 and €2,750

Clutch means nothing to him, it's a matter of maintaining the car. In accounting terms it's a repair and is a sunk cost, it doesn't re-value the car. The headlights likewise. If other people are managing to get around on the standard ones it would suggest that you should be able to too.

Nothing you have spent on restoring the car to "showroom" condition really makes any difference to the trade in value on a car that age and size.

I've maintained it very well since I've had it. Even he quoted the mileage as "jaysus that's not high at all I'll tell ya that" when I told him.

What should I do take the 1500 and try get more of a discount on my purchase?

Are you happy with cost to change? Ignore the figures in your head! They don't matter!

Are you happy with cost to change? Ignore the figures in your head! They don't matter!
    Considering he's willing to put it through the NCT for me and sort her out for me before we shake hands I'm spending feck all I guess. Then again an NCT doesnt necessarily mean nothing will go wrong does it? Only problem is he says he's actually only selling the car on behalf of his friend. So they wont have to give a warranty when they sell it will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Its 8 Years old.

You ain't going to get anywhere near what your thinking. If you want the higher price sell it private. You will see exactly how long it takes to sell it and how much its worth that way.

On cbg.ie they are selling from €3-4000. Dealer needs wiggle room for repairs, profit, cleaning and length of time it takes to sell.

• Advertisement

Considering he's willing to put it through the NCT for me and sort her out for me before we shake hands I'm spending feck all I guess. Then again an NCT doesnt necessarily mean nothing will go wrong does it? Only problem is he says he's actually only selling the car on behalf of his friend. So they wont have to give a warranty when they sell it will they?

Unless he said no warranty ask him! That would be my first question!

I'll ask tomorrow. See one of the salemen said yeh it'd come with 3 months warranty but then another said technically it's not their car as such so it'd be private sale so they don't have to give a warranty. Then when the salesman rang me who is actually the one selling it on behalf of a good friend and good customer (always buys from his garage apparently) it never dawned on me to ask.

So overall price for my car is good considering price to change.
    Things to ask tomorrow other than warranty?

I'll ask tomorrow. See one of the salemen said yeh it'd come with 3 months warranty but then another said technically it's not their car as such so it'd be private sale so they don't have to give a warranty. Then when the salesman rang me who is actually the one selling it on behalf of a good friend and good customer (always buys from his garage apparently) it never dawned on me to ask.

So overall price for my car is good considering price to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That's like saying if I buy a car in october it'd a year old in january. When in fact the car is only 3 months old.
    One year ago, the recession hadn't hit some people. I take it that you've had the timing belt changed @ 60,000, yes?
    Ask is there anything wrong with it. They don't have to tell you, unless you ask. Be mindfull of their answer, and the words they use. There's "no", and then there's "no crashes". Also ask has the timing belt bein changed if the car is around the 60,000 point, as otherwise that will set you back a few hundred to get a new one. Or the entire new engine if it snaps.

the_syco wrote: »
    One year ago, the recession hadn't hit some people. I take it that you've had the timing belt changed @ 60,000, yes?
    It was changed at 58,000 by my sis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you only bought and registered a new car in Dec 09 it is considered a year old on 1st Jan 2010 if selling it. Depreciation is measured by calander year not month.

Advertisement