Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before considering medicine as a career READ THIS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 p_holmz

tallaght01 wrote: »
    ....I'd do a finance related degree, like economics I reckon, or possibly politics.

I'd hate to be trying to compete for training programmes in my 30s....

As a previous poster noted, it is hard to find that "rosy" career at the moment. I have a quantitative finance degree and I can safely tell you all finance related training posts and (the very few) job roles out there at the moment are super extremely competitive. Even with the best qualifications you are up against hundreds of people with decades of experience. (Before the economic crisis you would have only been up against 30- 40 people with equally good CVs)

Heck I was rejected from a Masters course (finance) this year because my degree was not quantitative enough and 7 years work experience was not "long enough" compared to other candidates. :eek:

Trust me no career is easy. Ppl tend to quote the best lawyers and most successful CEOs (who by the way have spent thousands on MBAs and Actuary exams). Think when comparing careers it is best to take a fair selection of people and then average out thier accomplishments....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

p_holmz wrote: »
    As a previous poster noted, it is hard to find that "rosy" career at the moment. I have a quantitative finance degree and I can safely tell you all finance related training posts and (the very few) job roles out there at the moment are super extremely competitive. Even with the best qualifications you are up against hundreds of people with decades of experience. (Before the economic crisis you would have only been up against 30- 40 people with equally good CVs)

Heck I was rejected from a Masters course (finance) this year because my degree was not quantitative enough and 7 years work experience was not "long enough" compared to other candidates. :eek:

Trust me no career is easy. Ppl tend to quote the best lawyers and most successful CEOs (who by the way have spent thousands on MBAs and Actuary exams). Think when comparing careers it is best to take a fair selection of people and then average out thier accomplishments....

I've zero interest in a career in finance. I'm doing public health, and as of next year, my career will be in international health.

But I think I might be more use to developing countries as someone who can address the more important determinants of health, such as economic and political issues.

Maybe no career is easy (though I disagree) but there are a lot of easier ways to earn money than being an NCHD.

But I would be a REALLY crap accountant!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Tallaght01, I think I'm in the perfect position going into medicine to comment on whether these posts are 'informative' given that I had subscribed to/followed this thread for over a year now for the exact purpose of gathering information. I'm not the only one who has commented on the horror stories/scare mongering that has gone on in this thread. IMO if every career had a thread like this on boards then a lot of people would be put off something they might love or be very good at.

I'm in the opposite situation, as many GEM entrants are, of having a Software Engineering degree which led me into a financial sector job for a number of years in which I was expected to train as an accountant, at night, while working a 70hr week. This is not unusual nor does it slow down when you're 30+ since I would be in at 07:30 and leaving at 21:45 to make the last bus 10 months of the year and at that point management would still be on the floor. That's a full college workload in your 'free evenings' and weekends.

I'm not basing my opinion on those of current students either. I know that they haven't yet experienced what being a doctor truly entails.

I have no doubt that paying off the loan will be difficult, I haven't entered into this with blinkers on. The bank has said that it will be structuring repayments based on circumstances and will review the loan due to circumstances along the way after graduation. We'll just have to see what happens when this years graduates go out into the big bad world and the loans are structured for them.

It's a model that has worked (or at least been standard) and had survivors, in the US for a number of years in terms of the level of fees/debt.

And I do take your point about older grads and fewer positions. The question is, were you tired because you'd been doing night shifts etc since your 20s and had become worn out/lost the initial 'out of college' drive OR was it a loss of stamina due to age?

The other question is: if you have a 23yo and a 33yo with equal grades and an equal performance on the job in hospital after a number of years experience and you want to promote someone: do you take the person who has only had any 'real life' experience in the last couple of years or someone who's had a lot more and chosen to go back. I know from my experience in hospitals lately that I'd rather an older graduate with some empathy based on life experience than a fresh faced graduate who's life experience consists of college and being thrust straight into a hospital.

This is an opinion I had held for a number of years even when I didn't realise that graduate medicine was an option. I think 21/22 is very young/inexperienced to be working in this field, regardless of training.

And that's my final point, GEM applicants don't have the luxury (as we will see it no doubt!) of having obtained a medical degree at a young age, for whatever reason. For many it's a lifelong dream or passion that got waylaid along the way. It's my sincere hope that it'll be this drive, the same that sees them excelling in their coursework, that will help them through their training both in college and afterwards and this will hopefully take the sting out of having this loan hanging over them.

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Tallaght01, I think I'm in the perfect position going into medicine to comment on whether these posts are 'informative' given that I had subscribed to/followed this thread for over a year now for the exact purpose of gathering information. I'm not the only one who has commented on the horror stories/scare mongering that has gone on in this thread. IMO if every career had a thread like this on boards then a lot of people would be put off something they might love or be very good at.

I'm in the opposite situation, as many GEM entrants are, of having a Software Engineering degree which led me into a financial sector job for a number of years in which I was expected to train as an accountant, at night, while working a 70hr week. This is not unusual nor does it slow down when you're 30+ since I would be in at 07:30 and leaving at 21:45 to make the last bus 10 months of the year and at that point management would still be on the floor. That's a full college workload in your 'free evenings' and weekends.

I'm not basing my opinion on those of current students either. I know that they haven't yet experienced what being a doctor truly entails.

I have no doubt that paying off the loan will be difficult, I haven't entered into this with blinkers on. The bank has said that it will be structuring repayments based on circumstances and will review the loan due to circumstances along the way after graduation. We'll just have to see what happens when this years graduates go out into the big bad world and the loans are structured for them.

It's a model that has worked (or at least been standard) and had survivors, in the US for a number of years in terms of the level of fees/debt.

And I do take your point about older grads and fewer positions. The question is, were you tired because you'd been doing night shifts etc since your 20s and had become worn out/lost the initial 'out of college' drive OR was it a loss of stamina due to age?

The other question is: if you have a 23yo and a 33yo with equal grades and an equal performance on the job in hospital after a number of years experience and you want to promote someone: do you take the person who has only had any 'real life' experience in the last couple of years or someone who's had a lot more and chosen to go back. I know from my experience in hospitals lately that I'd rather an older graduate with some empathy based on life experience than a fresh faced graduate who's life experience consists of college and being thrust straight into a hospital.

This is an opinion I had held for a number of years even when I didn't realise that graduate medicine was an option. I think 21/22 is very young/inexperienced to be working in this field, regardless of training.

And that's my final point, GEM applicants don't have the luxury (as we will see it no doubt!) of having obtained a medical degree at a young age, for whatever reason. For many it's a lifelong dream or passion that got waylaid along the way. It's my sincere hope that it'll be this drive, the same that sees them excelling in their coursework, that will help them through their training both in college and afterwards and this will hopefully take the sting out of having this loan hanging over them.

You're imagining these suer empathetic old people all over the hospital. But that's not what happens. In my experience, older entrants are more tired on nights etc, and are much less pleasant. In fact there was a study published recently that showed GAMSATers to have less empathy than their younger peers. It's a difference that's always been very obvious to me, but that's just an opinion.

"Real world" life experience in't the preserve of those who have 2 degrees either. I have mates from med school who entered from school who have more life experience than I ever will. Makes feck all difference, in reality.

I think by dismissing people's lived opinions in this thread, you're showing the worst characteristic of older entrants to med school...over confidence.

Working til 10pm at night is all very well. But very little compares to the horrors of being on-call at 5am (having been there since the previous morning), and having a kid with diabetic ketoacidosis being rushed in, while a premature baby is just popping out, knowing you're all alone, and you're due in clinic at 9am. The worst I ever did was tying to do that 1 in 3 days. It's soul destroying. I have friends still doing it, and they're wrecks. Just being in your 30s is way to old to be doing that stuff.

I did security for years before med school, and did nights all the time, and it was grand. First few years post grad were fine too.

Luckily I know do paeds A+E shifts when I feel like it.

You may well cope. You may cope better than anyone. But you should be aware of how exhausting it can be, physically and mentally, even for the youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

You're imagining these suer empathetic old people all over the hospital. But that's not what happens. In my experience, older entrants are more tired on nights etc, and are much less pleasant. In fact there was a study published recently that showed GAMSATers to have less empathy than their younger peers. It's a difference that's always been very obvious to me, but that's just an opinion.

"Real world" life experience in't the preserve of those who have 2 degrees either. I have mates from med school who entered from school who have more life experience than I ever will. Makes feck all difference, in reality.

I think by dismissing people's lived opinions in this thread, you're showing the worst characteristic of older entrants to med school...over confidence.

Working til 10pm at night is all very well. But very little compares to the horrors of being on-call at 5am (having been there since the previous morning), and having a kid with diabetic ketoacidosis being rushed in, while a premature baby is just popping out, knowing you're all alone, and you're due in clinic at 9am. The worst I ever did was tying to do that 1 in 3 days. It's soul destroying. I have friends still doing it, and they're wrecks. Just being in your 30s is way to old to be doing that stuff.

I did security for years before med school, and did nights all the time, and it was grand. First few years post grad were fine too.

Luckily I know do paeds A+E shifts when I feel like it.

You may well cope. You may cope better than anyone. But you should be aware of how exhausting it can be, physically and mentally, even for the youngsters.

I don't know whether to laugh or thank you for calling me over-confident!! One look at my 'deer in headlight' eyes at the minute would dispel that one instantly :o

I've repeatedly said that I respect and appreciate people's opinions here. I am in no way dismissing them, merely attempting to highlight the large proportion of what could be perceived as scare mongering. Which ime tends to gather pace as people try to out-do each other with horror stories.

Nor was I trying to imply that only GEMs would have life experience. On the whole however, I would imagine that the average level of experience is higher in people going back at ~25 than those starting out at ~18 and in some cases as young as 16.

My posts are not intended to refute any of what has been said here, merely to highlight that this thread was started in order to inform potential students of some of the cons of training/working as a doctor.

Just as it would be unfair of me to ignore the advice shared here, similarly it's unfair of posters to pour scorn/derision on the potential GEM students. This is in no way aimed at you Tallaght01 btw but at, a minority, of other posters.

We come here to see what life as a doctor would be like, good and bad, not to be told how horrible our lives as a whole (including home life, mortgage, partner and children) will be. We've entered into this largely, I would hope, with the knowledge of the commitment we've undertaken and the strain that it will put on us in a financial and personal capacity.

When I come to a thread to hear about the pros and cons of being a doctor, I don't expect my future lifestyle as a whole and apparently inevitable discontent/unhappiness to be mapped out for me. I want someone to tell me about the job, good AND bad; to tell me how hard it is; and, even tell me how much harder older grads find it.

I jst don't expect to be told, no matter how sweetly it's worded, that I'm making the biggest mistake of my life and that I've ruined my personal/professional prospects in one fell swoop. Especially not when it's dressed up as advice.

• Advertisement

My feelings about GAMSAT aside, I don't give a mickey who does medicine.

But it's gotta be a horrible life for older people doing it. I don't know how anyone still does nights and on-call in their 30s and 40s!The oldest guy in my class was 33 on graduation. He was a genius who'd worked with NASA. Got bored with being a rocket scientist and decided to become a brain surgeon.

He's one of my best mates in the world, and he's now hitting 40 and is an ICU reg. He's only recently had time to get married, and he has no kids, and probably won't. I phone him regularly, as he's one of my best mates and he's always always exhausted. His wife was getting so frustrated at his working life that it almost ended their marriage as quick as it had begun. Now she's become pretty unwell, and he's working nights and weekends constantly and can't look after her.

Luckily he's a genius, so he got on a training programme straight away. He's the best doc I know, but he's a walking zombie, has a tough home life and there's no consultant jobs when he gets his ticket.

He is one of the most lovely people in the world, and was always the popular guy at med school. But he's a grumpy bastard in work.Same with me. I'd hope the people on this forum who know me in real life would tell you I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky guy. But I can be a real tosser in work. And it's all down to exhaustion. It's got balls all to do with life experience.

I'm in a lovely specialty, and even at that I feel sorry for my bird :P

So it does affect you lifestyle. It's different in America where they run up huge debts, but consultant training is uch shorter, and you earn great money once you're there.

In Ireland, once you reach consultant level there are unlikely to be no consultant jobs, so you still send years as a reg.

Thankfully I have no desire to work for the HSE. so none of this will affect me, and my views won't affect any of you guy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

I'm not trying to scare people off or preach doom and gloom. Conditions in medicine in Ireland have gone so far downhill in the last 3 years that they have driven me out. Simply put a hospital medical career in this country is not congruent with life. Im 26 and I know that. Im out and off to NZ. So is practically everyone else I know. Thats fine we can do so. We are relatively young and now fairly debt free. We can start over. I'd hate to think of you guys down the road - trapped in the HSE. Too much debt and life baggage to be able to move on. Being exploited all the time. I mean medicine can be a great job - my electives have shown me this. I hope NZ is everything people say it is. Its just horrible everywhere I have worked in Ireland. If I didnt have the safety valve of being able to move on I would have gone crazy by now. Im sick and tired of being sick and tired to borrow a phrase. Like Tallaght said - medschool is easy, great fun. Intern year too. After that - la deluge. As for training schemes, not only do they not give a damn about life experience, they actively penalise it. I know so many burnt out people terrified to take a year off because it looks badly on their cv. They are not looking for people with lives, they are looking for lifeless uber nerd drones that will work for free and never go home. As for investment - its more of a gamble than investment. Gambling that the HSE will change, that the Irish system will be nicer,better payed, family friendly and roomy at the top. Those Im afraid are long odds.

You're gonna LOVE New Zealand. I worked there before I went to Oz. Best working conditions I've had. Less money than Ireland or the UK, but a great standard of living. Consultants come in a lot, too. So, if you're floundering, you'll be expected to call your boss in from home.

I know consultants who come in to do LPs on babies etc.

I miss New Zealand. Only reason I left was because I had an Oz job lined up before I went to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

I really don't think that we will be completely past it and over the hill when we do qualify - your perspective of "relatively young" will change as you get older!!!
    No reason why I can't save up the fees, head back to college, train as a doc and head abroad in my 30's...
    And in contrast to Undergrad Meds, we all have a back-up. If everything falls through, I still have a Science degree, Masters and 4 years industry experience.
    I'm sure ye are right and that the medical career is hell in Ireland but what you don't seem to get is that a lot of careers at the moment are hell in this country - or worse - non-existent!!!

Scientist1 wrote: »
    I really don't think that we will be completely past it and over the hill when we do qualify - your perspective of "relatively young" will change as you get older!!!
    No reason why I can't save up the fees, head back to college, train as a doc and head abroad in my 30's...
    And in contrast to Undergrad Meds, we all have a back-up. If everything falls through, I still have a Science degree, Masters and 4 years industry experience.
    I'm sure ye are right and that the medical career is hell in Ireland but what you don't seem to get is that a lot of careers at the moment are hell in this country - or worse - non-existent!!!

That's a fair enough point of you want to train as a GP abroad. I don't know what age you'll be when you qualify. But if you want to be a surgeon in Oz or NZ, you're still gonna be doing a LOT of nights and weekends on-call for at least 10 years post grad.

Plus if you're a consultant over here you wouldn't believe the stuff you're expected to come in for at night, and work the next day.

But I reckon the states might be a good option. Relatively short residencies, and then you're a consultant of sorts. I don't like the model of care in the states, as it's a very inequitable system. But if you're looking to get training over and done with quickly it may be the way to go.

To be honest I think the govt will love the idea of taking 100k in fees off you, and then not having to make a consultant job for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Is it the same story in Psychiatry?

Sam34, the moderator of this forum would be able to tell you.

I think she told me before that their aren't many consultant job, but I couldn't swear on that.

I found psych tough as a med student I have to say. I liked it, but it's really complex. Sam34 is a smart cookie though, and is a psych SpR and very knowledgeable about these things.

Very rewarding job if you're good at it, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

This thread is one hell of an eye opener! Think I'll still give the GAMSAT a bash in March but medicine really doesn't sound like an overly appealing career in terms of the quality of life it gives you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Sam34, the moderator of this forum would be able to tell you.

I think she told me before that their aren't many consultant job, but I couldn't swear on that.

I found psych tough as a med student I have to say. I liked it, but it's really complex. Sam34 is a smart cookie though, and is a psych SpR and very knowledgeable about these things.

Very rewarding job if you're good at it, I'd imagine.

thanks for the praise :o

psych is considered by those outside of it to be one of the softer specialties

in some ways, it is - the hours are generally 9 to 5,on-call not included, rather than teh 10- 12 hour days of surgery etc

but you still do on-call, anything form 1 in 3 to 1 in 14, depending on where you're working.

on-call can be busy. you wont see the same amount of people as the medics/surgeons will see on call, but the ones you see will take waaaay longer to sort out.

beds are another issue - if a medic wants to admit someone and there isnt a bed, the patient waits on a trolley.

psych patients arent given this 'luxury' in many hospitals (mix of politics and policy) and thus if you have someone you want to admit you may actually have to send them home and put them on a waiting list. its utter crap.

in terms of consultant jobs, its tough at the moment. there have been 2 advertised this year. 2. there are about 65 people on the SpR scheme. you do the maths.

theres way more i could say about the job, but am wrecked tired at the moment... if you have any specific questions , ask away

final word- if i knew then what i know now, i'd still do it all again

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I find this whole thread really confusing. I know lots of people doing med in college, in various years and the all love it. Yes being an intern sucks but it's not forever. My dad is a GP, he works 9-6 weekdays and then a couple of nights every 2nd or 3rd week. He has no horrible boss, his entire focus is on helping patients. I know GP trainees and they aren't having a tough time. It really isn't that bad, if you don't want crazy hours be a GP, a private clinicpsychiatrist or a dermatologist

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

and the odds of getting a place on the GP scheme aren't that horrible. 2/3 applicants per place where I'm from

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Medicine in college has nothing to do with real world medicine. Med Students stoll in and out every now and again largely oblivious to the demands of the job. Intern year is by far and away your best year. Short hours (these days) no responsibility and your life hasnt fallen appart yet. The problem is SHO and Reg years. GP or not - there is no escaping being an SHO for 2 years. I wont reiterate the horrors, they are well documented already. I know so many people who wish they were on GP schemes. Do the math, med student numbers up by over 150, GP scheme numbers up by 6. Numbers wanting to leave hospital medicine up by several thousand. Its not so much the hours at the end of the day that got me. It was the abuse, the lack of training, the medical administration, the hypocrisy and feeling trapped in it. Then getting a check of 2,200 euro a month at the end of it (less than minimum wage per hour). Followed closely by a bill of 550 from medical council, 450 royal college, 570 IMO etc etc. Long story short, one of the ****est months of my life I ended up being poorer by a good 400 euro or so. Then they wonder why NCHDs are leaving in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mcdermla

I wanted to be a doctor for years, still do, but I've decided against GAMSAT or any other route to medicine. I'm studying nursing and actually really enjoying it, so the plan now is to do a Masters in Palliative Care and be a CNS instead. Good hours, good wage, honorable job. If I did GAMSAT I'd only wind up being in a lot of debt and that might not be a big issue to some people but it is to me. I want to be able to have a mortgage in a few years' time, not a 100K student loan. I know some people will say I never really wanted medicine but I don't care, because quality of life is important too. I do still envy the interns when I see them on their rounds, but there's no guarantee I'd enjoy that life anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

http://www.medicalindependent.ie/page.aspx?title=something_touched_me_deep_inside

Medical independent article i came accross.

Not exactly poetry but just thought it was apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

http://www.medicalindependent.ie/page.aspx?title=something_touched_me_deep_inside

Medical independent article i came accross.

Not exactly poetry but just thought it was apt.

That man is a top class tutor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've always wanted to do medicine, now strongly considering going back to study it over the next few years. I already work in a hospital so know first hand just how woeful some aspects of our health system is, so it's really put me off medicine.

It's frustrating enough in my line off work in allied health, not sure if I can handle being a doctor in an Irish hospital with the distinct lack of resources. Is it really as bad as I think it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

This thread should be stickied

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Medicine in college has nothing to do with real world medicine. Med Students stoll in and out every now and again largely oblivious to the demands of the job.

Without adding to the doom and gloom just wanna say i really agree with this.
    Med student: take a couple of histories and go home, usually pretty disorganised (i knew a guy who didn't even turn up for some of his rotations in the early years).
    No introduction to the practical stuff, workings of the hospital etc.

Intern/SHO: suddenly manage potentially 10-15 admissions (with a bit of help from a reg) .

Maybe others here would disagree with this but surely a more gradual transition from student to work is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

It's all very well being not even in 1st year and saying these types of posts are "informative" in the way that was intended.

Med school is great. Final students will always say it's great. Being an intern is easy, it's just long hours.

I'd go back to med school in a heartbeat. Loved it.

I wouldn't touch medicine again, though, except for the existence of public health. I'd do a finance related degree, like economics I reckon, or possibly politics.

I'd hate to be trying to compete for training programmes in my 30s. I'd doubly hate to be doing lots of night shifts aswell into my forties. I think that would actually be the worst of it.

I know the nights and long weekend shifts became a LOT harder once I hit 30. They were tough enough in my 20s. But I don't do them now, and I'm not sure I'd cope all that well with them now.

I'm working in oz now, in fairness, but I doubt the money is much different, and have only just paid off my student loan, which was less money than one year of GEM, and I still don't have much money left at the end of the month. I'm 33 years old.

I have always thought that GEM was a total moneyspinner, and there has been no thought about the implications of churning out older grads, with very few training posts, and even less consultant posts.

I predict a huge amount of people trying to get into GP/public health/rehab etc in the next few years, which are all oversubscribed now as it is.

Just a question tallaght.Why is it that the average age graduating from med school in USA/Canada is around 28/29?Surely,they would have changed this if being over 30 has such a detrimental effect on performance??just curious

briankirby wrote: »
    Just a question tallaght.Why is it that the average age graduating from med school in USA/Canada is around 28/29?Surely,they would have changed this if being over 30 has such a detrimental effect on performance??just curious

I'm not sure why the average american grad would be 28 or 29, as they only do a 4 year course after their bachelors. But they spend a lot less time gaining attending status, so they have much fewer years, by and large, of doing long hours than Irish grads. Plus they're limited to an 80 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

From those US grads I know 26/27 is a more common age to be graduating. US residencies are generally only 3-5 years long so the nights are much more doable when you can see the end of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

From those US grads I know 26/27 is a more common age to be graduating. US residencies are generally only 3-5 years long so the nights are much more doable when you can see the end of the line.

Ya id say the 35 year olds in a class would bring up the average age a bit but thats the age my american friends who are doing medicine gave me aswell.
    How can they get as much experience in that short time as say an irish grad who does many more years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ya id say the 35 year olds in a class would bring up the average age a bit but thats the age my american friends who are doing medicine gave me aswell.
    How can they get as much experience in that short time as say an irish grad who does many more years?

Because most of what an Irish grad does it gopher work. In the US they have other people do that. Also in Ireland training is haphazard, and depends on the whim of consutlants - in the US it is strictly scheduled. Finally in the US there use a model of assuming graduated responsiblity allowing supervised decision based learning to happen. In Ireland increasingly junior doctor roles are restricted to 'doing jobs' whilst decision making is increasingly being taken at a consultant level - in essence juniors are largely becoming information peddlers for the seniors with decreasing understanding of why they are doing what they are doing. This is the net-effect of being more busy and 'doing jobs' to get things done with no time for explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

So what is the quality of life and pay like in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

sparagon wrote: »
    So what is the quality of life and pay like in the US?

Resident: limit of 80 hrs per week, 2-3 weeks holidays per year, $42k-50K.

Attending: work 50-80 hrs per week, better holidays, $150-400k per year.

Advertisement