Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work (Irish OL)

Options
  • 15-01-2010 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Right, so my Irish teacher is bad...REALLY bad. We can't speak a word of Irish, so she has this plan.

According to her, for the story where you have to write 14 lines and continue the story (where the paper says "I won the lotto.......") she wants us to change whatever it is to an accident and learn it off. For example: If the text says "I won the lotto...." we continue with something like "I won the lotto, but suddenly my phone rang and I found out my dad was in a car crash.....".
    She even said you could use the EXACT same essay for the letter! I doubtful to say the least.

Will this work? I'm only looking for a pass.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Yes and no....for the essay an accident will work and i think alot of people do actually just do that!
    I intend to make my essay an accident aswell!:D
    However, for the letter it wont...we have done some letter writing and they can be quite specific....ie, you are living and working in england write to ur parents bout ur job and why your not returning home! So doubt accident would work for letter,but will for an essay!
    Hope this helps!
    :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I don't know how you couldn't lose marks by doing this. You're expected to write about having won the lotto. Not nearly dying. It'll annoy the examiner, especially if everyone in the class does the same thing.

Taken from the 2008 Chief Examiner's Report:
    Bhí méadú beag i líon na n-iarrthóirí a roghnaigh an scéal i mbliana. Tá an claonadh seo le tabhairt faoi deara le tamall de bhlianta anuas. Tá laige chomónta le sonrú anseo, áfach. Tugann iarrthóirí áirithe faoin scéal ach is beag iarracht a dhéanann siad cloí le hábhar an scéil. Tá an laige chéanna seo luaite ag an bPríomhscrúdaitheoir ina thuarascáil don Teastas Sóisearach, Ardleibhéal. Is léir go mbíonn scéalta nó creatlacha scéalta réamhullmhaithe ag na hiarrthóirí agus, ar an leid is lú s na teidil ar an bpáipéar scrúdaithe, cuireann siad díobh iad sa tsúil go sásóidh siad éilimh na ceiste seo. Is baolach an cur chuige é seo mar is minic nach raibh ach baint imeallach ag an scéal a scríobhadh le hábhar na ceiste, agus cailleadh marcanna dá réir. Níor mhór d’iarrthóirí an cur chuige seo a sheachaint feasta. Cé go bhfuil ullmhúchán ar siúl don scrúdú ní ullmhúchán stuama é.

Basically the Chief examiner is saying that people are spewing out essays that they have learned off, that this is dangerous as it often has no connection at all to the question, and that this practice should end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

dambarude wrote: »
    Bhí méadú beag i líon na n-iarrthóirí a roghnaigh an scéal i mbliana. Tá an claonadh seo le tabhairt faoi deara le tamall de bhlianta anuas. Tá laige chomónta le sonrú anseo, áfach. Tugann iarrthóirí áirithe faoin scéal ach is beag iarracht a dhéanann siad cloí le hábhar an scéil. Tá an laige chéanna seo luaite ag an bPríomhscrúdaitheoir ina thuarascáil don Teastas Sóisearach, Ardleibhéal. Is léir go mbíonn scéalta nó creatlacha scéalta réamhullmhaithe ag na hiarrthóirí agus, ar an leid is lú s na teidil ar an bpáipéar scrúdaithe, cuireann siad díobh iad sa tsúil go sásóidh siad éilimh na ceiste seo. Is baolach an cur chuige é seo mar is minic nach raibh ach baint imeallach ag an scéal a scríobhadh le hábhar na ceiste, agus cailleadh marcanna dá réir. Níor mhór d’iarrthóirí an cur chuige seo a sheachaint feasta. Cé go bhfuil ullmhúchán ar siúl don scrúdú ní ullmhúchán stuama é.

Basically the Chief examiner is saying that people are spewing out essays that they have learned off, that this is dangerous as it often has no connection at all to the question, and that this practice should end.
    Yeah, I heard there were complaints. I dont intend to get full marks, but if I was to get a nice chunk of them it'd be great. God knows I need the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

wow irish speakers really know how to drag out a sentence

• Advertisement

pathway33 wrote: »
    wow irish speakers really know how to drag out a sentence

That was only a cúntas gearr:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

It won#t work unless you make some reference to the Lotto. I have corrected lots that have been obviously learned off but only ones that reference the initial line are marked positively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

We're doing this. Apparently "all the examiner wants to see is that you can speak irish. They don't care what it is. It will be summer." lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Right, so my Irish teacher is bad...REALLY bad. We can't speak a word of Irish, so she has this plan.

According to her, for the story where you have to write 14 lines and continue the story (where the paper says "I won the lotto.......") she wants us to change whatever it is to an accident and learn it off. For example: If the text says "I won the lotto...." we continue with something like "I won the lotto, but suddenly my phone rang and I found out my dad was in a car crash.....".
    She even said you could use the EXACT same essay for the letter! I doubtful to say the least.

Will this work? I'm only looking for a pass.

i know what you mean, my irish teacher is a complete thick, i've never had a good irish teacher in my entire secondary school life, i don't think there are many because all the other teachers of other subjects are great.
    i'm only in 5th year and at this stage we're royally fúcked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

It won#t work unless you make some reference to the Lotto. I have corrected lots that have been obviously learned off but only ones that reference the initial line are marked positively.
    So if you are correcting a paper and see that it's learned off, what marks would you give?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

Honestly what do they expect? Irish class doesn't teach you the language, at least not in my experience. They teach you how to do the exam and what words you should be able to recognise and tell you to learn off sentences for the oral.

If the examiners are getting annoyed, change the syllabus. I don't know what world the examiners are on when they think we understand half of the stuff on the course. It's a memory test, you don't expect Polish immigrants to study outdated, boring English poetry when they aren't able to write fifteen lines talking about winning the Lotto. It's a joke.

Bhoy_ wrote: »
    Honestly what do they expect? Irish class doesn't teach you the language, at least not in my experience. They teach you how to do the exam and what words you should be able to recognise and tell you to learn off sentences for the oral.

If the examiners are getting annoyed, change the syllabus. I don't know what world the examiners are on when they think we understand half of the stuff on the course. It's a memory test, you don't expect Polish immigrants to study outdated, boring English poetry when they aren't able to write fifteen lines talking about winning the Lotto. It's a joke.

You're probably right about the literature part of the course. Disappointing as it is that so many people aren't able to, and don't want to study any of it, it shouldn't be on the course when most people agree that it shouldn't be the focus of the Irish curriculum/syllabus.

Something is seriously wrong if after 13 years of learning Irish a student can't write 15 lines in the past tense on something as simple as winning the lotto without spewing out something totally irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You're probably right about the literature part of the course. Disappointing as it is that so many people aren't able to, and don't want to study any of it, it shouldn't be on the course when most people agree that it shouldn't be the focus of the Irish curriculum/syllabus.

Something is seriously wrong if after 13 years of learning Irish a student can't write 15 lines in the past tense on something as simple as winning the lotto without spewing out something totally irrelevant.

you're right. This is all I could come up with :o

I won the lotto agus bhi athas orm. Bhi athas orm mar is maith liom biscead. Gach maidin ta alan biscead i mo leaba. Gach la ith me biscead agus nuair a chonaic me cearthar a chlog ag teacht ta athas orm. Is maith liom mo rothar. Chonaic me an rothar mor isteach and fhuinneog siopa agus ta athas orm. Is maith liom tae. Ni maith liom an bus scoil mar ta alan buachaill mor ar an bus agus ith said mo biscead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

I won the lotto agus bhi athas orm. Bhi athas orm mar is maith liom biscead. Gach maidin ta alan biscead i mo leaba. Gach la ith me biscead agus nuair a chonaic me cearthar a chlog ag teacht ta athas orm. Is maith liom mo rothar. Chonaic me an rothar mor isteach and fhuinneog siopa agus ta athas orm. Is maith liom tae. Ni maith liom an bus scoil mar ta alan buachaill mor ar an bus agus ith said mo biscead.

That is poor.

EDIT: This is Pass.

I think you mean brioscaí?;)

This is straying a bit off topic. I have to say that a large contributor to many people's bad Irish is no fault of the curriculum or teachers. A lot of people are very apathetic, and don't make any effort at all to improve their language skills. From what I've seen, it doesn't matter how many times people are taught some grammar point- they refuse to, or don't bother taking it in.

And btw, I'd say your aiste ghearr was a bit exaggerated pathway33:rolleyes:

I've had a dire Irish education pretty much my whole life. Hence I can barely string a sentence together. Yet I do HL French and because I've had a good education in that I'm fairly competent in it. The fact is I'm only being taught Irish grammar and structure properly now, and it's almost too late to re teach myself it at this stage, whereas the structure was taught to me properly in French and so I know how to form basic sentences fine.

So while it is definitely true that many students are highly apathetic (like myself, although I don't dislike the language, just the subject) towards Irish, a lot of that apathy come from the fact they were never taught it properly in the first place. Though some are just lazy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

!!! wrote: »
    We're doing this. Apparently "all the examiner wants to see is that you can speak irish. They don't care what it is. It will be summer." lol..
    I'd say that's pretty much the truth of it! :D

Advertisement