Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgradeing My Pc

Options
  • 15-01-2010 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey all, was wondering if you could help me a little with upgrading my PC.
    Atm I am looking for something to play wow and FPS games aswell
    Budget atm is about 1200 euro, i got the Case and the other external bits keyboard monitor mouse. So really what I'm looking for is some help on what parts to go for. Was looking for a i7 build if possible :) All help and input is welcome.

Case is an Antec 900
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332085

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Budget atm is about 1200 euro, i got the Case and the other external bits keyboard monitor mouse. So really what I'm looking for is some help on what parts to go for. Was looking for a i7 build if possible :) All help and input is welcome.

Case is an Antec 900
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332085

You could get an i7 in that budget. But the HT is a waste unless you really use it, and games do not. An i5 would serve you better.

Tis a shame you have an Antec 900, it wil look messy after this goes in :D
    Untitled-29.jpg
    €1.211

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

[/URL]

What do you have in the pc right now? Prob won't need to spend so much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Effluo wrote: »

I am all for overkill but this is a good point by Effluo . Still if you really want to blow all of that 1200 then the posted build is a damn fine way to go about it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 its.my.escape

Tis a shame you have an Antec 900, it wil look messy after this goes in :D

I'd get a new case if needed just the case i have is new, I'm open for anything really. If i5 would be better for gaming then i would go with that, thats why i came here i dunno what I'm looking for >.< and i need some adivce :P

Atm pc is after dieing, pritty much need to start from scratch :( hence why i really only have the case which i will change if needed :P

• Advertisement

Atm pc is after dieing, pritty much need to start from scratch :( hence why i really only have the case which i will change if needed :P
    Well it will work alright, but it's not a case I'd suggest anyone to buy. I speak from experience I owned it myself. But you have it now, so may aswell work with it.

The build I posted should last you a few years for sure. If you need to make it cheaper you can remove the SSD, but for 1200 it's worth putting in :)

Well it will work alright, but it's not a case I'd suggest anyone to buy. I speak from experience I owned it myself. But you have it now, so may aswell work with it.

The build I posted should last you a few years for sure. If you need to make it cheaper you can remove the SSD, but for 1200 it's worth putting in :)

it might be a good idea to get a new one cause the one i got has a good few scatches and things on it :P plus i never really liked it haha

it might be a good idea to get a new one cause the one i got has a good few scatches and things on it :P plus i never really liked it haha

Ok, so your pc has just died!

I'd expect that some parts of it are still "alive" though, unless of course you live in a state of smashing stuff with a hammer when something doesn't work... :confused:

Anywho, Yeah you could just list the components that were in your old pc and what you think broke too. That case gives me an inkling there's a very high chance that every fps and esp WOW will play just as well with some of your old components in the new build!

well atm its the motherboard and power supply thats gone,

only real thing i could save would be the HD which is 150GB which i wanna upgrade to something a bit bigger as its kinda full and so i my 1tb ext drive

Ram is DDR2 there is 2 gigs of it i can't remeber what make or speed it is >.<

Gfx I'm selling to a mate :P

Dvd Drive is fine could keep that,

So really only things i would be looking to keep would be the HD andn the dvd drive >.< and maybe the case but not really a fan of it :P

well atm its the motherboard and power supply thats gone,

only real thing i could save would be the HD which is 150GB which i wanna upgrade to something a bit bigger as its kinda full and so i my 1tb ext drive

Ram is DDR2 there is 2 gigs of it i can't remeber what make or speed it is >.<

Gfx I'm selling to a mate :P

Dvd Drive is fine could keep that,

So really only things i would be looking to keep would be the HD andn the dvd drive >.< and maybe the case but not really a fan of it :P
    If you have the money and you want to upgrade, well then go ahead! It would be easy to say, well use that RAM and get a 775 build or the likes, but since you have the money why not just go the distance I say.

You can keep the DVD rom all you want, just the one in mine is a RW one, so if yours can do that too, remove it from the list.

Also, just use the Antec 900 for now.

• Advertisement

Dvd is a Re-writer aswell so thats that sorted, i think ill change the case aswell can you reccomand any good cases? the looks dont really make much of a difference once its provides good air flow and all that stoof.

Would 4Gigs or ram be ok? or would you reccommand 6? i plan on running Windows 7 on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 h4ck573r

IrishGrimReaper gave u great .nfo,I could not have done it better.Except one thing if you are already spending that much get around 8 gigs of ram, so you would not have to upgrade again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

h4ck573r wrote: »
    IrishGrimReaper gave u great .nfo,I could not have done it better.Except one thing if you are already spending that much get around 8 gigs of ram, so you would not have to upgrade again next year.

All you need for games is 4gig and you wont even use the full 4 at that.

8 gig is a retarded waste of money unless you are doing something crazy music production\multimedia\simulations etc...

get around 8 gigs of ram, so you would not have to upgrade again next year.

I don't think any of the games i play put my ram usage much over 2gigs (running w7)

4gigs is more than enough for the foreseeable future. Although some people who play ARMA II do use an extra 4gigs of their ram as a hard-drive? Or something like that. Supposedly it speeds things up quite a bit, still prob not worth the cost though
    You could sell the ram in your pc for around 25-30euro on adverts.ie, you still haven't told us what processor you had in the old rig though. Would be interesting to know also why you think the psu and mobo are bust?
    Sorry for all the questions, but it just might be for your own good!

What resolution is the screen you're using? As this really is a factor on whether you'd actually get any more use out a of a €280 graphics card than on a €140 card.

One thing is for certain is that you have a chunk of cash to spend on a new rig!

I think the pc that grimreaper made up is what pretty much everyone would recommend to you, other than the retailer obv.
    I also wouldn't be mad on the cooler. Yes, it's a great cooler, but IMO expensive coolers are only worth their cost to overclockers.

Since you haven't mentioned a thing about overclocking yet, i'm going to suppose that you will not be partaking. Something for around €15 would be vgood or even the stock cooler(it comes with the proc) would be ok.

Hearing that you have your external full, i think another 1tb hard-drive would be a good idea.
    Get rid of the luxury solid state hard-drive(it makes windows + games start up faster), I say luxury because on my pc i've got a run of the mill 7200rpm hard-drive which boots a 5 month old install of w7 in around 45 seconds. I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything anyway!

The good psu is a good idea as it means you could upgrade to two 5850's in the future! Though with the i5's xfire isn't as attractive.

Case i fink has a lot to do personal opinions, but there are still good and bad cases. Check out the Haf 922 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164961 sweet case, If you don't like it though no biggy. Look around and read reviews, then post here and see what everyone thinks. It's the ones thing you'll really be looking at, well hopefully.(other than the monitor of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

If your after speed get 8GB of ram? that's the biggest waste of money ever! 4GB is more then enough for any game, adding 8 Gb wouldnt make it faster at all!!!

Mister Man wrote: »
    If your after speed get 8GB of ram? that's the biggest waste of money ever! 4GB is more then enough for any game, adding 8 Gb wouldnt make it faster at all!!!

I see your point but only for a moment of time.
    I didn't say it will make it faster now, I said in a year or so,I agree there are no games that require 8 gigs of ram, but some oncoming games will.
    Trust me I have spend a long time in the scene, since c64, spectrum and the rest.
    I remember my friend telling me that there is no need for amstrad cpc to have more than 128 kb of ram, but I was stubborn and I got 576 kb, it payed off soon.
    The point is not to build the machine for games that are already out there but the ones still to come, that is if you wish to play them on high settings.
    Ram is never the waste of money, bigest waste of money is to build a machine for the past, albeit not for the future.
    There are lots of usage for ram, you could for example create a ram drive and install game there and shorten the boring load screen that is there tnx to your slow hdd.
    And thous idiots scientists that produce motherboards, what ware they thinking... "support up to 8 gigs of ram", morons, who needs that, why making a chip set and a processor that supports that...when everything works the same whit half of that, and there will not be need for it ever, it is just a waste of money...
    Maybe you should buy that processor also, it will not pass the 60% usage in released games, and it will not pass the 45% in wow, wtf buy some cheep one and spend money on the new case, so it can sustain when you start kicking it in a few months.
    But you don't have to trust my .nfo, after all I have only 20 years in IT and worked as IT consultant for 5 and a half years, but what do I know...

See thats why i came here >.< I know nothing about PC's any more well what i know is really outdated lol.

the CPU is a dual core 2.3 i think or somthing like that, its quite old.

Would the SSD load and run games ALOT faster then a normal 7200rpm HD?

See thats why i came here >.< I know nothing about PC's any more well what i know is really outdated lol.

the CPU is a dual core 2.3 i think or somthing like that, its quite old.

Would the SSD load and run games ALOT faster then a normal 7200rpm HD?
    4GB is fine, if you need more later get more but you really wont need 8GB.

Oh and I forgot to mention what the SSD is about, as you can see it's 80GB and very expensive, so there's really not much space for stuff on it. Here's what you do.

Put the operating system and maybe 1 or 2 games on the SSD. Everything else goes on the F3 HDD. I know it seems like a waste to get an SSD for just your OS, but they're so expensive it has to be done like this. Even then it's still worth it, I have that SSD myself and 2 games on my SSD, everything else is on a 500GB Caviar Black.

Every day use is just a blaze with the SSD, it's one of the best upgrades you can do to give you computer some speed. Having your music players/web browsers/chat programs etc etc load up instantly is great! I say after using an SSD you will be very glad you did.

Ps. I must tell you, not sure if its been said already. But you need to do a few things on the SSD when you get it and installed Windows.

1: Move the pagefile to the F3(it's easy to do have a quick google).

2: Don't index the drive, it doesn't work on SSD's.

3: Don't defrag - ever.

About number 3, SSD's use a different thing than a defrag and it's called TRIM. You'll have to flash the SSD to the latest firmware. This will give it TRIM.

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream/support.htm

That's all the stuff you need for it there, it's an easy process. And helps get you the most out of your SSD.

Has any 1 seen a case with green lights, seem to only ever find red or blue :P

hey i have one it is from 1999 and i still use it. :)

• Advertisement

If you're getting a new case does it have to fit in that budget too?

Yeah but could another 100-150 if needed the 1200 was just a rough amount.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah, black-and-green cases are cool, but then those tools in nVidia realised that so they stole that colourscheme. Now no-one wants to be seen dead in black-and-green :mad:

Really you must look around for a case you like personally! Try find a full tower case, but a good midi tower is also good. Try looking at the likes or CoolerMaster HAF/Lian Li or even a cheap Antec 300.

uberpixie wrote: »
    All you need for games is 4gig and you wont even use the full 4 at that.

8 gig is a retarded waste of money unless you are doing something crazy music production\multimedia\simulations etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_2033
    I told you they will require 8 gigs soon -_-
    I ran it at Max and it filled 7.4 gigs :P (close enough)

I don't think any of the games i play put my ram usage much over 2gigs (running w7)

4gigs is more than enough for the foreseeable future. Although some people who play ARMA II do use an extra 4gigs of their ram as a hard-drive? Or something like that. Supposedly it speeds things up quite a bit, still prob not worth the cost though
    You could sell the ram in your pc for around 25-30euro on adverts.ie, you still haven't told us what processor you had in the old rig though. Would be interesting to know also why you think the psu and mobo are bust?
    Sorry for all the questions, but it just might be for your own good!

What resolution is the screen you're using? As this really is a factor on whether you'd actually get any more use out a of a €280 graphics card than on a €140 card.

One thing is for certain is that you have a chunk of cash to spend on a new rig!

I think the pc that grimreaper made up is what pretty much everyone would recommend to you, other than the retailer obv.
    I also wouldn't be mad on the cooler. Yes, it's a great cooler, but IMO expensive coolers are only worth their cost to overclockers.

Since you haven't mentioned a thing about overclocking yet, i'm going to suppose that you will not be partaking. Something for around €15 would be vgood or even the stock cooler(it comes with the proc) would be ok.

Hearing that you have your external full, i think another 1tb hard-drive would be a good idea.
    Get rid of the luxury solid state hard-drive(it makes windows + games start up faster), I say luxury because on my pc i've got a run of the mill 7200rpm hard-drive which boots a 5 month old install of w7 in around 45 seconds. I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything anyway!

The good psu is a good idea as it means you could upgrade to two 5850's in the future! Though with the i5's xfire isn't as attractive.

Case i fink has a lot to do personal opinions, but there are still good and bad cases. Check out the Haf 922 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164961 sweet case, If you don't like it though no biggy. Look around and read reviews, then post here and see what everyone thinks. It's the ones thing you'll really be looking at, well hopefully.(other than the monitor of course)

you see?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I assume you're using a decent OS? IE: not Vista? Or it's b@st@rd father, Windows Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I told you they will require 8 gigs soon -_-

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Bah metro runs fine @ high for me on a lowly 4 gig of ram!:D

If you do look @ the steam survey above, 29.51% of people use only 2 gig!
    With another 28% or so using 3 gig.

Only 17.4% of the market use 4 gig + !

Also good to see windows 7 64bit is the 2nd most popular OS @ 22.99%
    (down with 32 bit!)

I would say games games will target 4gig as being the ideal for the next while.
    Still nice to see 4A included a over the top super high mode so people with big e penises I mean PCs can run it!;)

Anyway you were going to buy 8 gig of ram regardless of what anyone on here says so go do it and stop arguing with random peoples off the internets! :pac:

uberpixie wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Bah metro runs fine @ high for me on a lowly 4 gig of ram!:D

If you do look @ the steam survey above, 29.51% of people use only 2 gig!
    With another 28% or so using 3 gig.

Only 17.4% of the market use 4 gig + !

Also good to see windows 7 64bit is the 2nd most popular OS @ 22.99%
    (down with 32 bit!)

I would say games games will target 4gig as being the ideal for the next while.
    Still nice to see 4A included a over the top super high mode so people with big e penises I mean PCs can run it!;)

Anyway you were going to buy 8 gig of ram regardless of what anyone on here says so go do it and stop arguing with random peoples off the internets! :pac:

no no no I already have 8 gigs for like two years, I am not the guy who asked. I just recommended adding extra 50 bucks for additional 4 gigs that will come a handy once some of the games that are in progress gets released.
    Cry engine 3 is also coming soon and will use that extra 4 gigs.
    I am not here to argue wit you guyz, we are all here helping are new internet friends :).
    I just had a flash back of the old arguments about amstrad, then 486, than pentium 2 and so on...
    I love you guyz and I don't consider non of the contra arguing ppl here as anything less then close to experts, other wise I would not argue at all.-_-
    cheers m8 :>

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    I assume you're using a decent OS? IE: not Vista? Or it's b@st@rd father, Windows Me.
    Hey don't start with the insults, I am not using b45t4rd OS.
    I use triple boot, windows 7, opensuse 11.1 and novel netware 6.5 if you have to know.
    And w7 is the one that filled 8 gigs of ram with that game on uber high settings.
    opensuse also filled it but not with games.-_-
    I can't yet get metro to work decently on wine ;(
    novell netware can't even see past 4 gigs for some reason, I am still working on that one.;P
    Anyway if you have not tried metro 2033 I recommend getting it asap, game is great.

Advertisement