Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IOMEGA

• 15-01-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Please please help me. I'm after dropping my iomega external hard drive. All my pics going back to 2001 and some imp docs are on it.

It looks like it's powering up - but it's not registering on the Laptop.

Is there any way that I can recover my precious pictures?

So upset here.

LB6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

you have a chance if its powering up. try a program called file scavenger, its about 30 dollars. it will search the drive deeper than windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

thank you - will have a look at it in the morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If you are lucky it might just be that the cables have come loose inside the casing, or perhaps the casing itself that is broken. Either way you will have to open up the case and check the cables, if option one doesn't work then you will have to remove the drive and hook it into a PC using and IDE/SATA cable depending on what type of drive it is to see if there is still any life left in it.

ok and here's the story of the external hard drive to date

Tried to get in touch with computerlynx in Athlunkard Street this morning. Waited till 10am for them to open - no sign - called - answering machine - no reply. Left and went over to PC World. OMG...

The fella down there said it was "goosed". Tough luck. Got upset and cross then and called him back. Told him that he didn't even open up the cover to see if the drive was still viable, that he only did what I did last night checking up the disk management.

Eventually, once he found a screwdriver, he opened up the casing! The drive was still working. Needed a new case so had to go to maplins for it as PC didn't have any. Back to PCW and he put the drive into it. Plugged it in and yeahhhhhhhhhh all my pics are still here. Rushed home and put them all back onto the computer. Just finished that now.

If I hadn't insisted in him opening it up - I'd have lost the lot. I love looking back on them. Don't know whether to thank them or not. But I'm finally breathing again.

Thanks for the help marcopolo - if you hadn't have said about the casing being damaged - I'd have taken his word for it - much appreciated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Excellent :)

Two valuable lessons learnt too I hope 1) Backup, 2) Don't go to PC World for support. ;)

• Advertisement

LMAO MP - the external drive was my back-up - the original was on my lap-top which is gone into LT hospital and there was no guarantee that they'd be able to keep my info on that....hence the panic in the request.... now have 2 spares ;)

Def agree tho - won't/will not/never/ever be going back to PCW for help again

:D

Advertisement