Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Defence fitness requirements?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I remember reading that people interested in joining the Civil Defence should be reasonably physically fit and was just interesting in hearing from current CD volunteers about what level of physical exertion they've had to deal with?

Also I'm contemplating joining but am interested in Search and Rescue and/or First Aid rather than fire fighting and don't think I'd handle heights very well! So what options does that leave me with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im in AFS and some training nights can be a killer. Id class myself as reasonably fit but honestly I got a bit of a shock after my first few nights drills when I thought my back was going to snap in half from rolling hose! You get used to it though and I wouldnt let the idea of abit of work and sweat put you off.

We do some ladder work rescue would be more heights orientated than afs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

I have to agree 'eireal'. I'm also in AFS, and consider myself to have a reasonable level of fitness, but some training nights do have you thinking 'are you doing enough to keep fit?'. Again, I agree that after a few weeks you get used to what is expected in a drill, and you work your a$$ off for the few hours. However, I would recommend joining it, as you will honestly love it and enjoy yourself (and become even fitter).

S & R would require a reasonable level of fitness also, as there is alot of walking/running & hiking involved. Whatever your fitness, try it - if your not able/not accepted, try a different unit where physical fitness isn't such an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

one2one wrote: »
    try a different unit where physical fitness isn't such an issue.
    Welfare :p, jeez i miss the old civl divil!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

Fitness??? have you seen the professional emergency services?
    :D

give it ago and see how you get on, i was CD once and fitness wasn't an issue, even for the unfit!!

Advertisement