Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thankinh mods

Options
  • 15-01-2010 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

i was origionally going to post in ranting an raving but cant talk about boards related stuff there so i'll look for opinion here

Seriously it is getting very very silly now.

The amount of posts that you see thanked by 10+ people just by having a snoop around boards is shocking.

Now im not talking about when a mod locks a thread or does contribute to a thread (im sure ive even thanked a few mods before) im talking more about the thread where a mod is somewhat trolling by saying something like "thanks, you beat me to it". Now you'd expect the person that the comment is related to maybe to thank the mod but when they get 10+ thanks from people who have not posted in the thread ect is rediclious. any ideas suggerstions?

Im sure now that i mention this you will notice it a lot more too, its just something that makes me think why? why did joe_soap thanks that?

Sorry about the spelling i was never any good.

rant overredface.gif
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tbh, I have faith in most people - I really think those who are sad enough to lick up to mods... just because they are mods are extremely thin on the ground, if in existence at all.

That's not to say there isn't sycophancy on Boards - but in those cases, it's not simply down to the fact they're mods (not all of them are mods anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dudess is right, like always.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I often thank a mod for locking a thread or dishing out warning not because they're mods and I'm licking up (what'd be the point, seriously?) but because usually they've made the right call. In the same way I'd thank folks to who into complete asshats ..a "fair play" type thing. Is this what you're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You, my dear sir, have fallen foul of a logical fallacy. You are mistaking cause and effect, assuming that the Mods are getting thanks because they are mods. In actual fact they are getting thanks despite them being Mods.

There are stringent criteria laid down by the powers that be around Moderators vast intelligence, suave sophistication and devastating good looks. But they also have to be good posters - in fact they should be good posters first and foremost, people that are well respected in teh community they are being nominated to moderate. People who know the subject matter in the topic forums or have shown a level head in the social ones.

Now good posters who know there stuff, are helpful, courteous and respected tend to get more thanks than a newbie no-one knows (or worse again a cantankerous muppet). Good posters also tend to get asked to be mods.

While there are a few people who will attempt to befriend a mod because they are a mod there are equal numbers who will attempt to befriend any respected member of teh community, it's how society tends to work.

But in general Mods getting lots of thanks are effects caused by a common cause rather than a cause and effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't think that many people would thank Mods just because they are Mods, but I do seem to remember thinking there were an awful lot of AH (or ex-AH) mods in the very upper echelons of the top thanked list. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The reason Mods get more thanks than us civilians is because they are all awesome..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Pfft, I've been thanked a total of 616 times. That might be down to being an asshole though.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i never thank mods.

Must....fight.....pooowaaar

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont thank mods, I thank posters. And I only thank posts that I think were to the point/helpful/appropriately funny. Sometimes I dont even glance to see who has posted the remarks, I just thank whats written.
    I did this even before I became a super sekkrit mod. :)

Other than that, what --amadeus-- said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The reason Mods get more thanks than us civilians is because they are all awesome..;)

Some might even say Gods. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Have to agree with Homer here. Though this isn't an attack on the mods, it's the goons who do the thanking.

Pick any random thread, although R&R tends to be a great example. The amount of times there'll be a general theme in the responses, with everyone more or less saying the same thing, but once a mod makes a comment, it gets thanked loads. Often repeating something thats been said already, with no thanks to the earlier comment.

Personally, I don't agree with the 'thanks' function. It just turns things into a big pi$$ing contest.

Not your fault at all, though you can't say it doesn't happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dear Mr. Homer Simpson,

Are you basically saying that some people thank Mods for schmoozing purposes?

You are incorrect, for the following reason:

Everyone on this site hates ALL the mods. They despise the Admins and the lads in Boards HQ, well they have to wear bullet proof vests 24/7.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There is no bollocko.
    There is only zuul.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know if what homer is saying is related to the snowball effect (and I don't think he's deluded, there's a certain amount of truth to it) but if you look even closelier you'll notice that the more a post is thanked the more people will thank it. I'm sure some sociology type could pull a hundredth-money/emperor's new clothes explanation out of a hat.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't know if what homer is saying is related to the snowball effect (and I don't think he's deluded, there's a certain amount of truth to it) but if you look even closelier you'll notice that the more a post is thanked the more people will thank it. I'm sure some sociology type could pull a hundredth-money/emperor's new clothes explanation out of a hat.
    I think youve hit it on the head (not zuul/bollocko - the problem I mean). Thanks breeds more thanks.

And I love your word closelier. You should really be thanked for that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There is no bollocko.
    There is only zuul.
    I am the keymaster.

<wink>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Probably because they stand out?

If I'm scrolling down quickly, I would notice the heavily thanked posts quicker and stop to read them.

There is no bollocko.
    There is only zuul.

You're doing it wrong - you're supposed to thank me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

TheZohan wrote: »
    Some might even say Gods. :cool:

Yeah, it's true, god of thunder right here.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong - you're supposed to thank me! :D

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Fookin hilarious the amount of mods that you just got more thanks for in this thread.... *giggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 HereSince2003

Some members do give thanks to others in bizarre fashion that is akin to thanking them due to their position as well as their thanked post/action. :confused:

Just something I noticed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

seems to me like its the mods, most of them, who think that im wrong and have gone on a thanking binge, a lot of the mods posts could be concedered trolling in this thread too:o the general boardsies seem split, i'd imagine if this was in a different section, one not viewed mainly by mods, it would get a different response but i can't see where else to put it where it aint breaking a charter ect. so i guess we will never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

i guess we will never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 HereSince2003

seems to me like its the mods, most of them, who think that im wrong and have gone on a thanking binge, a lot of the mods posts could be concedered trolling in this thread too:o the general boardsies seem split, i'd imagine if this was in a different section, one not viewed mainly by mods, it would get a different response but i can't see where else to put it where it aint breaking a charter ect. so i guess we will never know!

OK..

My Post on blood donations.
    I just happened to notice this at the time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055793118 In thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63902002&postcount=56

And much later on, this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794046

Cap'n Midnight.

That is just how thanks rolls ;):p:p;););):D:):):):rolleyes::P:pac:

Maybe they just agree with what they're saying/have an understanding of how each one rolls because they're familiar with their style due to being members quite a long time and regular posters? They were newbs too at one stage...

I can assure you there is absolutely no way I would thank something solely because it's posted by a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Why did'nt you thank Dudess ya smug bastard so?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

i was origionally going to post in ranting an raving but cant talk about boards related stuff there so i'll look for opinion here

Seriously it is getting very very silly now.

The amount of posts that you see thanked by 10+ people just by having a snoop around boards is shocking.

Now im not talking about when a mod locks a thread or does contribute to a thread (im sure ive even thanked a few mods before) im talking more about the thread where a mod is somewhat trolling by saying something like "thanks, you beat me to it". Now you'd expect the person that the comment is related to maybe to thank the mod but when they get 10+ thanks from people who have not posted in the thread ect is rediclious. any ideas suggerstions?

Im sure now that i mention this you will notice it a lot more too, its just something that makes me think why? why did joe_soap thanks that?

Sorry about the spelling i was never any good.

rant overredface.gif

Homer You are absolutly right,just look at the amount of Mods who responded;)
    It is just a reflection of real life!:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

*thanks all posts for the sake of balance*

Advertisement