Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thankinh mods

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Thanks Sarky sincerely,but i aint hittin the button,I'm way too much of a begrudger to thank anybody!!!!!!!:pac::pac::D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some members do give thanks to others in bizarre fashion that is akin to thanking them due to their position as well as their thanked post/action. :confused:

That's just the thanks system for you. I've seen some fairly mundane crap get lots of thanks and some brilliant post get less than they should or none at all. Hell, I posted that I prefered tea without sugar before and it got thanked about 20 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was reminded of this so I dug it up.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Posting for spurious thanks from fellow mods.

10char.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That's just the thanks system for you. I've seen some fairly mundane crap get lots of thanks and some brilliant post get less than they should or none at all. Hell, I posted that I prefered tea without sugar before and it got thanked about 20 times.

And How many time have we seen that ? People can be very sheepish at times when it comes to dishing out thanks

Also and I am not making this as a suggestion or anything but If Mods were only allowed Moderate Threads instead of contributing and adding their own opinions then you might find that being a Mod a less attractive position for some . That's the advantage Mods have ie, I'm not just refereeing the game , I'm also playing in it and some posters who have favorite mods are most likley at times to thank them for even the most ' simple ' comments .

Others will just say i thank whom I like , when I like ,for whatever reasons . Just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Latchy wrote: »
    Also and I am not making this as a suggestion or anything but If Mods were only allowed Moderate Threads instead of contributing and adding their own opinions then you might find that being a Mod a less attractive position for some .

If mods were only allowed to mod and not contribute then we'd have feck all mods. We'd lose so many great mods because they wouldn't want to give up contributing to the forums they love. Also we'd lose some great contributions from the mods. For example, in PI Wibbs is generally held in a high regard as someone who makes a lot of good contributions. I don't even read pi and I know this because everyone and their dog says it. Same with solataire in building and upgrading. One of the reasons he was picked to mod it is because he is extremely helpful on the forum and really know his shít. If mods weren't allowed to contribute or were told to curtail their contributions then forums like these (and many more) would be either losing excellent mods, excellent contributers or both.

That's the advantage Mods have ie, I'm not just refereeing the game , I'm also playing in it and some posters who have favorite mods are most likley at times to thank them for even the most ' simple ' comments

Sure the same will happen with people's favourite posters. People are more likely to thank people they like regardless of if they are a moderator or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If mods were only allowed to mod and not contribute then we'd have feck all mods. We'd lose so many great mods because they wouldn't want to give up contributing to the forums they love. Also we'd lose some great contributions from the mods. For example, in PI Wibbs is generally held in a high regard as someone who makes a lot of good contributions. I don't even read pi and I know this because everyone and their dog says it. Same with solataire in building and upgrading. One of the reasons he was picked to mod it is because he is extremely helpful on the forum and really know his shít. If mods weren't allowed to contribute or were told to curtail their contributions then forums like these (and many more) would be either losing excellent mods, excellent contributers or both.
    Yes I am with you on that and bang on , some great Mods who 's contributions to the site are Immensely Important and this I have acknowledged myself many times.It's a big site with many members and as mentioned sometimes the good intresting post made by a poster are overloooked for the blander reply.It was just something I have seen on another similar , smaller site a few years ago were the Mods personell views on such subjects (as example ) religion , politics etc , might be seen to favor one poster over another . I appreciate good moderation as much as the next poster .

Sure the same will happen with people's favourite posters. People are more likely to thank people they like regardless of if they are a moderator or not.
    Yes obiously , and that goes without saying . A hazard at times I guess of having the thanks button .I f we were limited in how many thanks we have we might use 'some of them ' more wisely

Yes and that goes without saying . A hazard at times I guess of having the thanks button .If we were limited in how many thanks we have we might use 'some of them ' them more wisely

We are limited. I think it's 25 a day or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

For example, in PI Wibbs is generally held in a high regard as someone who makes a lot of good contributions.

I know this because everyone and their dog says it. .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dudess wrote: »
    I was reminded of this so I dug it up.

Ha that's mad.
    That topthanked list is gone now isn't it?
    Probably cos one of the admins realised they could never catch Thaedydal anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement