Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1999 Golf Doors Will Not Close

• 15-01-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

OK I have searched the previous threads (and the rest of t'Internet) and cannot find an answer so hopefully somebody might know the answer

1999 VW Comfortline Model Golf

Problem 1
    Approx 3 weeks ago rear doors would not open from the outside (had kids child lock on internally but removed it and still had problems). This problem was intermittent

Problem 2
    2 days ago drivers door would not close on two occasions and the rear drivers doors would not close either

On both occasions - I had to slam/close doors about 10 to 15 times before they eventually closed

HAS ANYONE ANY IDEAS PLEASE ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Put some grease in the locks, I had the same problem over christmas with one door.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Thanks Zilog - I'll give it a go - hope its just that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluestreak

Sounds like the actuator is gone in the lock, this was a problem with all VW made around this time especially passats, but also golfs, LOCK WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED, you should get some waranty off main dealer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

spfeno wrote: »

Problem 1
    Approx 3 weeks ago rear doors would not open from the outside (had kids child lock on internally but removed it and still had problems). This problem was intermittent

Child locks shouldnt make a differnce in this case. They are just to stop the door being opened from the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Same thing keeps happening mine on the my two back doors. Lots of oil and 3 door seats does the jobby :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

bluestreak wrote: »
    Sounds like the actuator is gone in the lock, this was a problem with all VW made around this time especially passats, but also golfs, LOCK WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED, you should get some waranty off main dealer

The car is a 99 so its 11 years old extremely unlikely to get warrenty work done unless it was a recall issue. No you dont need to get all the locks replaced its sounds mechanical more that an actuator (module)fault due to it being highly unlikely for all modules to fail at the same time.

If by some fluke all modules did fail it is possible to repair it over replace. Id would recommend to scan the CCU (CCM) as this handles the central locking functionfor a fault code. Common for a module failure is "no communication"

As other posters mentioned can of WD 40 work it into the lock, very light greese for the catch and dont forget the hinges while your at it as this is often looked over during service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spfeno1

The car is a 99 so its 11 years old extremely unlikely to get warrenty work done unless it was a recall issue. No you dont need to get all the locks replaced its sounds mechanical more that an actuator (module)fault due to it being highly unlikely for all modules to fail at the same time.

If by some fluke all modules did fail it is possible to repair it over replace. Id would recommend to scan the CCU (CCM) as this handles the central locking functionfor a fault code. Common for a module failure is "no communication"

As other posters mentioned can of WD 40 work it into the lock, very light greese for the catch and dont forget the hinges while your at it as this is often looked over during service.

Ok guys many thanks for the replies.

Did the WD40 thing yesterday but again the problem persists with drivers door and two rear side doors. They close but only after 15-20 attempts (the latter 5 were annoyed slams).

In Fisher Price Terms can someone explain
    1. ACTUATOR
    2. CCU (CCM) - is this where I get a mechanic to hook up a laptop to a female diagnostic socket under the steering wheel

The problem is annoying now as I'm afraiid to take the kids in the car or let wifey out in it in case something happens

thanks again

Spfeno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The CCM (Convenience Control Module) or CCU (Comfort Control Unit) lives under the passengers seat an It can be queried for fault codes relating to Convenience features in your VW such as elec windows or central locking. It can be queried using the standard diagnostic port under the dash on the drivers side.

Any mechanic which is used to working on VAG cars will know what it is.

The door actuator is what moves the locking knob up and down on all 4 doors when you lock you car. As mentioned you can repair this instead of replacing them. What happens is the solder inside the electronic board can crack due to wear and tear with people opening and closing the doors. See the following link for how to repair I would suggest a code scan 1st thou before you go taking the door card off to confirm is this is at fault or not.

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

Advertisement