Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Analysis Please :) (probably snapped Alternator belt)

• 15-01-2010 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

After just getting a reconditioned alternator for my Astra, another car bit the dust this evening with pretty much the exact same signs as the Astra was showing (starting only with a jump start, then cutting out once leads were disconnected etc).

Anyway, from the advice on the last thread, I thought to look at the belt and yup, it appears there's a belt missing, and infact, there's a rubber belty looking string hanging out of the bottom of the engine now and it seems to be caught in something.

Here's a photo of where the belt appears to be missing. Can anyone confirm whether this is the alternator and how much a replacement belt is likely to be and is it something a mechanic would generally have, or have to order?

Car is a 95 Suzuki Cultus 1L Import, I think it's the same model as the swift?

Any feedback appreciated :)

dsc00026b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

alternator belt is missing.. Get one from your local motor factors if you dont want to purchase OEM.. Should get one for under 20 yoyos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

As said by others. tis the belt. Up to motor factors and just quote car and year. shouldn't be more than 20 mins work to fit
    make sure engine is cool before fitting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the quick replies :)

Is this something that could be done DIY? It's parked outside a mechanics workshop at the moment. Neither of them 2 cogs appear to move when the engine is running by the way, should they?

Just wondering, is it a serpentine belt I need? Just hope the fact that neither cog move when the engine is on isn't a bigger problem..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Can't say whether you can do it diy. But guessing from the way you are asking then probably not.

The two pulleys you see are driven by the belt which is driven by the crankshaft pulley which is at the very bottom of the photo which explains why they are not rotating without the belt in position. That is what the belt is for after all.

Be careful running the engine without the belt on as one of those pulleys is connected to the water pump. You run the risk of damaging the engine if you run it for any length of time without the pump being driven.

Hope this is of some help.

Richard

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot Richard, I thought there could have been a third pulley (or cog as I was calling them :P) in the mechanism but just wasn't sure. If it's only a 20 minute DIY job, then a mechanic might do it in 10/15 so hopefully only charge for such (+ Belt). Left it in with a mechanic in Bray I've used before anyway who seems a nice reasonable chap!

Hopefully getting the (serpentine?) belt wont be a problem due to it being a Japanese import.

Advertisement