Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausage Sizzle

Options
  • 15-01-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Back in Australia, the sausage sizzle is a part of life. As a money raiser out the front of hardware stores, at swimming carnivals, every backyard party, and even being hawked late at night in the city.
    The smell of barbecuing sausages and onions would suck you in hungry or not any time of day.

If your nose came across a 'sausage sizzle' stall at your local markets, would you be tempted? Would sausages from your local butcher and rolls from the local baker tempt you?
    Would they have to be pork sausages or would you prefer a selection perhaps?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It would definitely tempt me - and my husband would pitch a tent right beside it! Local produce would be perfect because if we liked a particular type of sausage we'd be able to buy them and cook them at home too.
    In my opinion people would eat more pork sausages, but it would be great to try a selection. I've personally always been curious about beef sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You have to be careful in this nanny state, the local health boards have closed BBQ's before for not having the correct certs etc.
    Great Idea but make sure you do the paperwork before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The German Sausage Company (not sure of the exact name) based in the Epicurean Foodhall in Abbey St; does this in a number of Dublin markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah their usually at the Dublin festivals like Oktoberfest etc, their sausages are nice but their bread roll's are complete crap, I even got a slice of white sliced pan ( the heel :eek: :mad: ) when they ran out rolls....

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As long as they're good and well priced, YES!!

As you said: rolls from your local baker - not Cuisine de France demi baguettes, which so many stalls use:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on the sausage and how it's cooked. I'm a total sucker for bratwurst cooked on those large swinging grills over an open flame during the tall ships weekends... mmmmmm. All they need is a nice beer, a sunny day and some happy company and it's a perfect afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

Thanks for the info about the German Sausage Company, they might be able to supply my charcoal! :)
    I've contacted the HSE and local council about what I might need. Hopefully they will be helpful.

9 out of 10 times the Aussie sausage sizzle is a thin beef sausage served on a crunchy roll topped with soft fried onions and a splodge of tomato (red) sauce served with a napkin.

The best one I've ever tasted was a fat beef sausage split down the middle with three oysters in it. But for the stall I'd consider serving beef and guinness and pork variations as well regular beef (no oysters) :rolleyes:

Advertisement