Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best foundation brush?

• 15-01-2010 5:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

The topic of brushes was brought up in TLL forum!:
    I use liquid foundation. At the moment I use one of those flat foundation brushes (to start off with, ususally end up using my fingers!)
    231764_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=429&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg
    I have a friend who uses the MAC 'skunk' brush.
    MAC_187.jpg
    Which is better do youse think? Don't wanna spend loads on a new brush, is it a brush you need to spend a lot of money on for a guarantee that it'll be good/last for a long time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

I used to use a foundation brush but i find that using my fingers give me better coverage and I don't waste as much foundation.............my foundation is expensive!!

I have a flat one (same as yours) which I got in sephora that I use for stick foundation, max factor pan stick or benefit playstick. But for all liquid foundations I use the Mac 187 Stippling brish (as per your pic).

If you use liquid foundation then I would definitely recommend the mac brush, it's fantastic, make up goes on so well and evenly and there are no streaks etc. It also doesn't cling on to make up like a sponge would.

If you are using your fingers make sure you wash and dry your hands thoroughly beforehand as you can transfer bacteria to your face which can cause spots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Zxc01 wrote: »
    I used to use a foundation brush but i find that using my fingers give me better coverage and I don't waste as much foundation.............my foundation is expensive!!

so is mine, i'm worried that i'm wasting it using the wrong brush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I use the MAC skunk brush (#187) in your picture to apply liquid and compact foundation, and powder. Worth every cent- it's really easy to get good coverage but you can 'layer' it up without looking cakey. With liquid I do use my fingers as well just to make sure it's all blended nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I have a flat one (same as yours) which I got in sephora that I use for stick foundation, max factor pan stick or benefit playstick. But for all liquid foundations I use the Mac 187 Stippling brish (as per your pic).

If you use liquid foundation then I would definitely recommend the mac brush, it's fantastic, make up goes on so well and evenly and there are no streaks etc. It also doesn't cling on to make up like a sponge would.

If you are using your fingers make sure you wash and dry your hands thoroughly beforehand as you can transfer bacteria to your face which can cause spots!

I usually wash my hands before putting makeup on...probably not as religiously as I should! I'll keep that in mind from now on ;)
    I just would have assumed that the 'fluffiness' of the stippling brush wouldn't be as effective. Ya can't go wrong with Mac, so that'll go on my list! Thanks for the quick replies guys :)

• Advertisement

ashyle wrote: »
    I usually wash my hands before putting makeup on...probably not as religiously as I should! I'll keep that in mind from now on ;)

I'm not religious about it at all but I don't use them that often as I have it in my head that greasy fingers = greasy face :pac:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ciaraallen

The skunk(fibre optic brush)is great to give a really natural non-caked look
    I wud usually use the flat brush and then use the skunk brush to really buff it into the skin
    Makes sure you dont look caked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Slightly related topic: when using the MAC187 for powder products, does anyone else find it loosens a lot of the pressed powder yet doesn't pick up that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

The Mac brush (as in your pic)is the best, I've tried them all from lancome, benefit, elizabeth arden, smashbox and even cheap tesco and superdrug ones but I always come back to the mac one. Best coverage ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭earcandi

Yep I use that MAC brush too and think it's the best I've used.. If I dont have that one with me I use my fingers, because I find other lesser quality brushes just drink my foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

How much are the mac ones ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭earcandi

Check Brown Thomas or your nearest MAC counter, otherwise here's the link to the website so you can get an idea..

http://www.maccosmetics.com/flash/brush_finder/index.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT1751

Wouldn't suggest buying them off ebay because there are so many fake ones going about, if you want a genuine one get it from a provider who can prove it's the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

I use the mac brush too, you press harder on areas that need more coverage and lightly brush over the areas that need less. It does the job. Then I use the very tip of the brush in a circular motion to smooth out the foundation...because the white bit of the brush is so fine it doesn't drag off all the makeup.

Oh ya...and have a look on ebay. I got that mac brush for €3.50 before, twas handy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

€3.50? I seriously doubt it was MAC so.

Can anyone explain to me how you use that skunk brush? Is it just like a regular foundation brush or is there a special technique you need to use?

earcandi wrote: »
    Check Brown Thomas or your nearest MAC counter, otherwise here's the link to the website so you can get an idea..

http://www.maccosmetics.com/flash/brush_finder/index.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT1751

Wouldn't suggest buying them off ebay because there are so many fake ones going about, if you want a genuine one get it from a provider who can prove it's the real deal.

Didn't see your message, I got a genuine one. However I suspect the foundation I purchased is not genuine, it's terrible!

I bought the foundation from a randomer but the brush from a genuine mac outlet. If it's not real you can send it back or file a case.

€3.50? I seriously doubt it was MAC so.

Can anyone explain to me how you use that skunk brush? Is it just like a regular foundation brush or is there a special technique you need to use?

Yup, it's genuine. I have a friend who works in mac and she said it's the real deal. See above for technique, push in on the brush for more coverage and to finish off just sweep the white part across your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I would avoid ebay if possible. The odds of getting a genuine brush are slim to none. MAC don't have an official ebay outlet and they don't sell off their own products at a major discount- there's a lot of ebay fake guides that will go into more detail on this, such as this one which includes pictures of a fake skunk brush for comparison. Some of them are pretty much identical in appearance but the bristles fall out very fast.

Actually, this is a pretty interesting comparison guide.

Gauge wrote: »
    I would avoid ebay if possible. The odds of getting a genuine brush are slim to none. MAC don't have an official ebay outlet and they don't sell off their own products at a major discount- there's a lot of ebay fake guides that will go into more detail on this, such as this one which includes pictures of a fake skunk brush for comparison. Some of them are pretty much identical in appearance but the bristles fall out very fast.

Actually, this is a pretty interesting comparison guide.

Definitely think I was seriously lucky. Won't be buying again. I own 2 of the same brush (I used to leave one in the boyfriends) and I notice no difference and my friend who's management in Mac said it's genuine and it was barcoded. Won't be going near ebay for Mac brushes anymore though. Strange how those sellers don't get blocked. I'm a seller and there are very very strict rules when selling named brands. Best bet so is probably duty free. My dad brought me back a set of brushes from JFK and they were er....ok I can't say how cheap they were as they were free from my dad. My mam was saying it worked out at about a tenner cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

theres a brush that came with my bourjois foundation that i use but i agre with the mac skunk brush,its class. i got a set of five mac make up brushes and a bag for 49.95 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I have that MAC brush and I swear by it. I hate feeling covered in make-up and it's great for a quick, light layer for day but if you need extra coverage it's easy to build up with it too. I use liquid foundation (Lancome Colour Ideal) and only ever use a small pea-sized amount which does my whole face evenly and lightly. It's an excellent brush: really blends in and no streaks or clumps. I paid I think it was about €40 for it at a MAC counter, but I have to say it was worth it. Make sure to wash regularly, though, as always! I have the #191 (flat foundation brush- sort of like first pic) too for when I want to put on heavier/longer-lasting 'war paint' which is also great - but I'd recommend the #187 for good, general everyday wear plus additional coverage when required. Enjoy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I used to use the flat brush for a mousse foundation, but found it really hard to use for liquid foundation, so I swapped to the MAC 168, on the reccommendation of several youtubers, which I found pretty amazing. I've also used a skunk brush (not the MAC one, I think it's the Jemma Kidd one! It's a good brush if you're looking for a slightly cheaper alternative :)) which was also really easy to use for foundation, and applied it really well, but I tend to use it now for blusher, more than foundation! Definitely find them both much, much better than the flat brush though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The stipple brush (or skunk brush.ha first time I've heard that!) is all about circling motions!

**Important how you hold the brush. Try holding it at the end of the handle (furtherest away from the hairs). Will give better finish.
    • Foundation back of the hand, if liquid.
    • Dip brush into small amount of foundation.
    • Start off apply to areas that require coverage - nose, chin, cheeks. Kinda dab/stipple the foundation on here.
    • As you go out to the sides of the face, use circling motions so you're getting a airbrushed effect. The coverage here will be lighter.

Advertisement