Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV2 Resources

Options
  • 15-01-2010 8:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

Right, so as we have established in the other thread, Fluffin yer WHV2 Application is a Really REALLLY Bad idea.

So I propose that we have a dedicated resoursces thread with information about the types of work people have done to qualify, and some friendly pointers like
    When I was in <Outback town>I worked on the Bananas, some of the Farms were great others are to be avoided like the Plague PM me for details
    yeah I worked in <Other Outback town> doing Tomatoes, great place, Nice people but seriously hard work on the back
    Just a word of advice I was in <Small Aussie Town> Workin in a <random Job> Turns our that this ISNT on the list for WHV2, still it was fun but I wish I'd checked first :rolleyes

That sort of thing.
    what ye think????????

EDIT1
    heres the website with the info
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm#a

heres a cut&paste from that
    Definition of specified work

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

* plant and animal cultivation
    o cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    o general maintenance crop work
    o harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
    o immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning
    Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
    o immediate processing of plant products
    o maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    o manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
    o pruning and trimming vines and trees.
    * fishing and pearling
    o conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    o conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
    * tree farming and felling
    o felling trees in a plantation or forest
    o planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    o transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.
    * mining
    o coal mining
    o oil and gas extraction
    o metal ore mining
    o non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    o exploration and other mining support services
    * construction
    o building construction
    o heavy and civil enginerring construction
    o construction services

Work undertaken in the areas of plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, and tree farming and felling must be described in the list above to meet the specified work requirement.

The Australian New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) provides further detail about eligible work in mining and construction. Work undertaken in the mining and construction sectors must appear in the ANZSIC division for these sectors to meet the specified work requirement.
    See:
    ANZSIC - Mining Division
    ANZSIC - Construction Division

Supporting work, such as book-keeping, in any industry described in the list above does not meet the definition of specified work.

Specified work:

* does not need to be paid work
    Example: Work undertaken as a volunteer or through the Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) scheme may qualify if the work falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    * does not need to be undertaken as a direct employee
    Example: Work undertaken as a contractor is eligible if it falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    * must be described in the list above

Examples of eligible specified work:

* picking fruits on a farm or orchard
    * feeding and herding cattle which are kept for commercial purposes
    * constructing a house
    * extracting ore on a mine site.

Examples of ineligible specified work:

* working at a cellar door providing wine tastings
    * undertaking an archaeological survey
    * working as a caterer or cook on a mine site
    * working as an architect or town planner
    * working as a cook or cleaner while volunteering through the WWOOF scheme
    * helping to construct ships or boats.

How to find specified work

You can find specified work vacancies in the same way as you would find other job vacancies, such as through employment pages in newspapers, the Internet and job placement service providers. Vacancies specifically for plant and animal cultivation can be found on the Harvest Trail website.
    Note: Not all vacancies advertised on the Harvest Trail website will qualify you for a second Working Holiday visa.
    See: Harvest trail

You should ensure that the vacancy meets the definition of specified work listed above and that the work will take place in an eligible postcode of regional Australia.
    See: Regional Australia

Regions
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm
    Regional Australia Postcode List

The table below lists all postcodes classified as part of regional Australia for specified work.

To meet the three month specified work requirement for a second Working Holiday visa, work must be completed in an area whose postcode is included in the list.

Specified work completed in areas that do not fit within the definition of regional Australia cannot be counted towards the requirement.

Specified work must actually be done within an eligible regional Australia postcode area. Work that is completed in a non-eligible postcode area for an employer, whose office or post office box is in a regional Australia postcode area, does not meet the requirement.

Note: Not all postcodes in the Hunter Valley fit within the definition of regional Australia.
    State/Territory Postcode
    Australian Capital Territory The Australian Capital Territory is not classified as part of regional Australia.
    New South Wales 2311 to 2312
    2328 to 2411
    2420 to 2490
    2536 to 2551
    2575 to 2594
    2618 to 2739
    2787 to 2898
    Note: Excludes Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong.
    Northern Territory All of Northern Territory is classified as part of regional Australia.
    Queensland 4124 to 4125
    4270 to 4272
    4307 to 4499
    4515 to 4519
    4522 to 4899
    Note: Excludes the Greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast
    South Australia All of South Australia is classified as part of regional Australia.
    Tasmania All of Tasmania is classified as part of regional Australia.
    Victoria 3139
    3211 to 3334
    3340 to 3424
    3430 to 3649
    3658 to 3749
    3778 to 3781
    3810 to 3909
    3921 to 3925
    3945 to 3974
    3981 to 3996
    Note: Excludes Melbourne metropolitan area.
    Western Australia 6041 to 6044
    6083 to 6084
    6121 to 6126
    6200 to 6799
    Note: Excludes Perth and surrounding areas.

How to calculate specified work

'Three months' means three 'calendar' months or 88 days. Work can be:

* in one block with one business
    or
    * in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses. Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work.

Full time workers may include weekends in calculating the number of days worked.

Applicants who work part time or on a casual basis can only count the full days actually worked. The shortest period that can be counted is one day of full time work (for any given industry).

Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by a workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.

Applicants who were prevented from obtaining employment because of injury or seasonal circumstances cannot count any time they were unable to work towards the three month period.
    Example: Cyclones interrupting harvest activities.

Some possible examples to help clarify the definition of three months of specified work are outlined below.
    Examples of three (3) months

Examples that meet the three month requirement

* Working week
    You work on a farm for three months for five days each week, where the farmer considers five days a week to be full time work.
    * Shift work
    You are employed as a miner for three months and under the employment contract you are only required to work every second week, which is the standard full time contract for the industry.
    * Blocks of work
    You complete 60 days of harvest work, followed by a period of travel for two months. Then you complete another 28 days in construction, bringing the total days worked to 88 days.
    * Sick days
    You are employed for a three month period but take several days of sick leave during the period.

Examples that do not meet the three month requirement

* Working week
    Four days a week is considered full time work by the farm, but you only work three days a week for three months.
    * Work done on another visa type
    You complete three months of specified work during your summer break while on a Student visa.
    * Seasonal circumstances
    You pick bananas for 80 days on a casual basis, but cannot find more work as there is a cyclone and your first Working Holiday visa ceases.

Evidence of specified work

The department may contact you to confirm you meet the specified work requirement, and may request evidence that the actual work was undertaken in regional Australia.
    Acceptable evidence of specified work (completed while on your first Working Holiday visa) includes either:

* original or certified copies of payslips, group certificates, payment summaries, tax returns or employer references
    or
    * a completed employment verification form.

See: Form 1263 Working Holiday visa: Employment verification (92KB PDF file)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

To get the ball rolling

I Got an email from a Young Scottish lad who's dream from a youn age was to work in the Outback being a Drover. So I set him up with some very good friends of mine in FNQ, he Worked hard, they liked him, he loved it there, they would be willing to consider taking someone else on later in the year when its busy again.

I also need someone in March/April to work on a remote property Basicly rebuilding it.

I have more friends In the mountains west of Byron bay, they always have work for someone who can operate heavy machinery.

Last year we sent some people to the edge of the Gulf, they worked in a bar, but to qualify for the WHV2 they also worked on a local farm one or 2 hours a day cooking and cleaning for the staff, which is not against the rules.

We've done loads more too but those are the ones I can think off off the top of me head, and there is already one Boardsie lined up for something when he gets here, not to name names or anything but I think the Outback is gonna challenge anyone who Dosent drink;) to reevaluate that :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Don't worry about that, just sign the feckin' form. ;)

<Leaves thread swiftly>

No bother, JUST build 10Km of fence there first like a good lad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

To get the ball rolling

I Got an email from a Young Scottish lad who's dream from a youn age was to work in the Outback being a Drover. So I set him up with some very good friends of mine in FNQ, he Worked hard, they liked him, he loved it there, they would be willing to consider taking someone else on later in the year when its busy again.

I also need someone in March/April to work on a remote property Basicly rebuilding it.

I have more friends In the mountains west of Byron bay, they always have work for someone who can operate heavy machinery.

Last year we sent some people to the edge of the Gulf, they worked in a bar, but to qualify for the WHV2 they also worked on a local farm one or 2 hours a day cooking and cleaning for the staff, which is not against the rules.

We've done loads more too but those are the ones I can think off off the top of me head, and there is already one Boardsie lined up for something when he gets here, not to name names or anything but I think the Outback is gonna challenge anyone who Dosent drink;) to reevaluate that :D:D:D

Is it just to enable someone(which is the heading of the thread) to carry out work - which allows them to successfully apply for a second WHV in return? Or/Also - do you cater for people who might actually want to do this work i.e get regionally sponsored etc?

My initial idea was basicly just a talkin shop between people who have done the 3 months for the WHV2 and people considering it, give folks a feel for the thing, but no real specifics like worked at X farm, call them on xx xxxx xxxx ( cos some lazy sod in Bondi might just read the thread and claim that as well:eek: )

I just wrote that seconds post to outline the sorts of things I had helped people with previously, as for Sponsership, thats usually an individual thing case by case, sothis thread wouldnt be for that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ive landed a sweet Job out in the middle of nowhere, bascially working 7 days a week at the moment and my employers could not do more for me, put me up in a little cabin with fridge cooker and gave me the use of there wirless internet as well:D. Its long hours and theres not a pub nor supermarket within 150 miles but im loving it, i got my food and drink supplies for the next 2 weeks there yesterday altought i better take it easy on the Guinness (5 gone already). I love it here and im making great cash and have no where to spend it:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ive landed a sweet Job out in the middle of nowhere, bascially working 7 days a week at the moment and my employers could not do more for me, put me up in a little cabin with fridge cooker and gave me the use of there wirless internet as well:D. Its long hours and theres not a pub nor supermarket within 150 miles but im loving it, i got my food and drink supplies for the next 2 weeks there yesterday altought i better take it easy on the Guinness (5 gone already). I love it here and im making great cash and have no where to spend it:).
    Ya jammy pig, how'd you swing that one? :D

Dave! wrote: »
    Ya jammy pig, how'd you swing that one? :D

Im really lucky, Just saw a advert for it and when i rang this woman gave out stink to me:eek:, apparently the wrong number was advertised. So i searched it up on the Internet and found there correct contact number and thus i got the Job, it had been advertised for nearly 2 weeks they said but no one had rang:D, it pays to go and chase a Job, sitting pretty now so i am:D:D.

Thats Brilliant JonJo.

Glad to see you are enjoyin yerself :D:D

oh and I know what you mean about the beer, me and a few guys worked on a cauliflower farm in WA a few years ag, same gig, bought groceries on the fortnightly trip to town, was utterly shocked at how fast we could each drink a Carton of beer, we bought 3 cartons each but we ended up stayin up all night and had knocked back one each by mornin :eek:

Twas great fun tho, envious of your broadband connection,
    if Id had that I'd probably still live there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Mahatma Coat is like Board's very own Boss Tweed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Has Oz converted jonjo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Has Oz converted jonjo ?

LOL..I was thinking the same, fair play Jonjo, no point in moaning about a place just get on with it and enjoy it while it lasts :cool:

Best of luck ;)
    Im really lucky, Just saw a advert for it and when i rang this woman gave out stink to me:eek:, apparently the wrong number was advertised. So i searched it up on the Internet and found there correct contact number and thus i got the Job, it had been advertised for nearly 2 weeks they said but no one had rang:D, it pays to go and chase a Job, sitting pretty now so i am:D:D.

What are ye working at?

:D Im half converted. Working in a roadhouse, easy work and i dont have to work in the sunshine:). Just enjoying a few cans now, if memory serves me correct i should have 16 left or was that 18:confused: from last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

but no real specifics like worked at X farm, call them on xx xxxx xxxx ( cos some lazy sod in Bondi might just read the thread and claim that as well:eek: )

You realise this information is freely available on the internet right? And its a lot easier to find than this thread is.

nm wrote: »
    You realise this information is freely available on the internet right? And its a lot easier to find than this thread is.

:rolleyes: If you have nothing useful to add to this thread why dont you do us a favour and go for a pint down in the local Irish pub.

:rolleyes: If you have nothing useful to add to this thread why dont you do us a favour and go for a pint down in the local Irish pub.

My point was and still is totally valid to the post which I responded, which is more than I can say about your follow-on post there to me.

If you have nothing of substance to say in response then please dont follow me around this forum quoting me for more of your pathetic rabbiting and your irish bar obsession (which by the way is totally off-topic in this thread). Youre becoming a troll.

Actually putting aside the gob****e poster above me for a minute I’ll add my 2 cents..

If you don’t want to do farmwork the most obvious is construction in Darwin or Adelaide, because it can be extremely well paid and theres plenty of it (Darwin especially). Although, might not suit girls..

Working with camels in Broome is a handy one, walking them up and down the beach for tourist camel rides, etc. You can get stung shoveling the **** (literally – camel ****) but even then its not backbreaking and can be a handy 3 months.

Pearl Fishing. I wanted to do this but there was a waiting list when I was there so I just moved on. You can do it from Broome and I think Ex-mouth and various points along the Westcoast. Usually its 10 days on a boat, 5 days off, all meals and board are covered as you are obviously living on the boat. Start early around 5 or 6am but then finish early too and 3 or 4pm, then the rest of your day is your own, plenty of swimming and diving etc. Meant to be great craic, and obviously you’ve nothing to spend the money on while youre at sea so it’s good for saving too.

Winery work (Margaret River, etc) – Can be tough if you are planting but its normal hours (ie: not the 12 to 16hrs a day required on a lot of farms) and theres also plenty of work indoors – bottling, labels, etc. No shortage of free vino flowing too :D

Right I edited the OP to include some links and pages from the immigration website, I'd encourage anyone lookin at the possibility of extendin to read it and follow the links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just browsing the web to find info on harvest work, and alot of places have their own websites which you can apply through

http://www.pickingjobs.com/search.php?job_location=Australasia&job_duration=&job_type=

http://www.koogiedowns.com/index.html

http://www.turnbullorchards.com/index.html

http://www.tumbaberry.com.au/

I reckon I'll be giving one of those places a shot :) The last one looks nice, lots to do in the Snowy Mountains if you manage to get a day off :)
    http://www.snowymountains.com.au/Abseiling_climbing_and_caving.html

Advertisement