Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman sponsering child talks on the Matt Cooper show

• 15-01-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

Was anyone listening to the Last Word yeasterday? They were talking about the tragedy in Haiti and relief efforts etc and brought on some woman who was sponsering a child out there - pretty noble of her.

Then she said one of the wierdest things. She said that she was sponsering a little girl in Haiti because ,if you educate a girl you educate the whole community, but if you educate a boy you just educate the wee lad. :confused:

I think this is, in the most unparliametary language, a big load of horse mickey. Do female children go round teaching all the other kids while young lads go round sneakily hoarding their education, or was she just sucked in by the sales pitch of the chugger who called to the door?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Given that women do the bulk of the child care the more educated a mother is the more she will pass on to her children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

a big load of horse mickey.

Don't you know that girls are made of sugar and spice and all things nice and boys just snails and puppy dog tails?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

She probably didn't come across the way she intended to. It's easy to fumble words when doing an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

are you serious??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Thaedydal wrote:
    Given that women do the bulk of the child care the more educated a mother is the more she will pass on to her children.

Childcare is easy, humanity has pretty much got the hang of it over the last few thousand years. No education needed.

Building bridges, roads, hospitals, atom bombs and other manly endeavours, though? Not so easy, without a bit of the old education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I bet she posts in the Ladys Lounge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

mink_man wrote: »
    are you serious??

Yes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Thaedydal wrote: »

And by that reckoning the more educated the father the better educated the child will be. If the father is the main bread winner it will allow the mother to spend more time with the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to radio before the femizazis turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

TheZohan wrote: »
    And by that reckoning the more educated the father the better educated the child will be. If the father is the main bread winner it will allow the mother to spend more time with the children.

Not going to be much good of she can't read or write as she can't then pass those skills on to the kids or help them with home work if they are luck enough to get some schooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Not going to be much good of she can't read or write as she can't then pass those skills on to the kids

My parents taught me a lot of things, but didn't impart this knowledge by reading or writing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

My parents taught me a lot of things, but didn't impart this knowledge by reading or writing to me.

well yes, but I imagine you had an education system to teach you these things?

Many children in Haiti would not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

There was as woman on the Tom Dunne show yesterday who also sponsers a child in Haiti and she said the exact same thing. Must have been the same person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The Nice Jumper

Sponsoring a child, be it male or female, can be a very rewarding experience as anyone who has seen "About Schmidt" will know.

Dear Nduguu...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

gazzer wrote: »
    There was as woman on the Tom Dunne show yesterday who also sponsers a child in Haiti and she said the exact same thing. Must have been the same person.

or the same sales pitch from the rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Do female children go round teaching all the other kids
    It's normally called nagging. Women do it.

Advertisement