Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying SUV - 10K

• 15-01-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Our first Baby is due in a couple of weeks so Im joining the SUV club!

My budget is 10K approx. I know there is value in the market right now so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Do you need an SUV? Bootspace would be much better on an estate car as would road handling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh here we go...........OP, if you want an SUV, buy an SUV, never mind what they'll say here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

You don't need an SUV with one baby! Unless your current car is an MR2 or something similar, save your money and keep your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You could get a Lexus RX300. Very nice car :)

Do you care about the year or engine size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I also wouldn’t mind getting an SUV / Jeep / 4x4 for about 10K
    reason... because I want one
    Will it go off road ? maybe once in a while until the novelty runs out.
    Do I need one ? No
    DO I want one ? Yes

OP I was thinking a Pajero Sport 2.5TDI myself and was going to ask if a Commercial can be refitted for passenger. If you were able to do that then would you be better off importing one ?

• Advertisement

I'd love a shogun/pajero too :D It's definitely going to be my next vehicle. I wont be getting one till next year or the year after. The diesel engine in my current car still has another 50k miles at least on it.

edit: I just seen you said 2.5TD. Is that better than a 3.2TD ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - If you're looking for advice it's probably best to start by listing what features are important to you in a car, that way people can advise you accordingly.

@ bennyc - theoretically yes, but you'll have to pay the VRT and the end product will be pretty much sale-proof.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Do you need an SUV? Bootspace would be much better on an estate car as would road handling.
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    You don't need an SUV with one baby! Unless your current car is an MR2 or something similar, save your money and keep your car.

Same crap different thread. Why can someone not buy the car they want for gods sake. SUV's are a far nicer way of getting more space than an estate or mpv.

Same crap different thread. Why can someone not buy the car they want for gods sake. SUV's are a far nicer way of getting more space than an estate or mpv.
    Yes and no, IMO. The OP is of course free to buy whatever car they want. On the other hand, they're having a baby and asking for advice - is it fair not to tell them that an estate might be safer, more practical, and drive better than an SUV? What they do afterwards is their own affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Buy a Subaru Forrester - best of both worlds.

XT is fabulous http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Forester/XT-Sold-/200950196139925/advert?channel=CARS

(I know this one is sold but its the type I would pick)

• Advertisement

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Buy a Subaru Forrester - best of both worlds.

XT is fabulous http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Forester/XT-Sold-/200950196139925/advert?channel=CARS

(I know this one is sold but its the type I would pick)
    Foresters are for people who want on and off-road ability but hate SUVs.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Might the OP be mixing up SUV & MPV? I was recently researching my next purchase & it was shocking the amount of dealers listed a particular 4x4 as an MPV, it those in the trade cannot get it right then Joe/Jane Public could aslo get it wrong.
    So is it a "jeep" or "people carrier" type vehicle you are after OP?

I too agree that people should be allowed to buy whatever vehicle they like as long as they are aware of & pay the associated running costs like fuel, tax, servicing & maintenance.

People reqeustimg advice on their next purchase should list (along with their purchase budget)
    - what road tax they are wling to pay
    - Approx insurance leve. They can stretch to (quotes research should be done)
    - how many miles (urban/rural) they do annually
    - how much they are willing to spend per week on fuel
    - primary use of vehicle

With this information a better recommendation can be given. For example an "SUV" can be anything from a 1.6L to a 6.0L monster.

The idea of one (large engined) car being available within purchase budget may be shattered if for example the requestor does huge mileage & doesn't fancy spending €150 a week on fuel.

Ah now Anan1 I wouldn't agree with you on that at all.

I currently own a Discovery3 and I have owned various other 4x4s (Disco1, Disco2, ML270, Range Rover) if I didn't need the 7 seats and the 3.5ton towing ability of the disco I'd have been very happy with the Forrester.

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Ah now Anan1 I wouldn't agree with you on that at all.

I currently own a Discovery3 and I have owned various other 4x4s (Disco1, Disco2, ML270, Range Rover) if I didn't need the 7 seats and the 3.5ton towing ability of the disco I'd have been very happy with the Forrester.
    That's my point, you'd prefer a Forester but you need a big SUV. The kind of person who wants rather than needs a large SUV won't want a Forester - it's too unassuming.

apologies I'd misunderstood, I take your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Wow two pages already and I was away from my desk for an hour!!!

Anyway I'll try answer the questions as best I can and thanks for the replies.

Its really a jeep rather than a people carrier (hate those things)

I live in Kildare and my family live in Dublin and Wexford so there is driving to be done over the years with the baby. Here are the main things Im lookning for:
    • Under 2.8 litre.
    • In or around 10K
    • Mileage in or around 50/60K
    • Nice looking
    • Boot space
    Can't think of many more but I'll add if I do.

I was looking at X5s but there too high on engine size TBH.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yes and no, IMO. The OP is of course free to buy whatever car they want. On the other hand, they're having a baby and asking for advice - is it fair not to tell them that an estate might be safer, more practical, and drive better than an SUV? What they do afterwards is their own affair.

I know what your saying and I certainly think that giving advise is whats good about the motors form however I just feel that in these threads that pop up quite often regarding SUV some people just advise against them for no other reason than they dislike them. Maybe I'm wrong but I do have that feeling.

Now I may not be the most unbiased poster myself in fairness but for some reason these anti-suv comments are getting to me (for no other reason than disliking them).

I know what your saying and I certainly think that giving advise is whats good about the motors form however I just feel that in these threads that pop up quite often regarding SUV some people just advise against them for no other reason than they dislike them. Maybe I'm wrong but I do have that feeling.

Now I may not be the most unbiased poster myself in fairness but for some reason these anti-suv comments are getting to me (for no other reason than disliking them).
    You're quite possibly right. That said, we all have cars we feel strongly about - that's what makes us enthusiasts! Remember also that we've seen hundreds of threads like this before, but the OP's probably hasn't - what may seem like beating the big drum to regulars may well be a new idea to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Well this is the motors forum where people who like to drive come to discuss cars. Driving dynamics and general aesthetics of cars would rate high in most peoples opinions in here and SUV's fail on both counts. There's a 4X4 forum if you need to find people who will love SUV's...

@ the OP: SUV's handle similarly to small trucks so if you're getting an SUV for long journeys, there are much more comfortable alternatives available. MPV is the most obvious choice

high horse wrote: »
    Well this is the motors forum where people who like to drive come to discuss cars. Driving dynamics and general aesthetics of cars would rate high in most peoples opinions in here and SUV's fail on both counts. There's a 4X4 forum if you need to find people who will love SUV's...

@ the OP: SUV's handle similarly to small trucks so if you're getting an SUV for long journeys, there are much more comfortable alternatives available. MPV is the most obvious choice

Its more the comfort of my family I'm worried about than my comfort in driving.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Yea who cares if you blind normal car drivers with your eye level headlights, and who cares about the other car that's mangled by your oversized SUV in the case of an accident as long as your family are OK.

:rolleyes:

the lawman wrote: »
    Its more the comfort of my family I'm worried about than my comfort in driving.
    An estate will be more comfortable, will be safer than, and will handle better than an equivalent SUV. SUVs have to be higher for off-roading, and this makes them inherently more unstable. This can be counteracted to an extent by firming up the suspension, but this in turn makes them less comfortable. If you really want an SUV then by all means go ahead, i'm just making you aware of the compromises involved.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Yea who cares if you blind normal car drivers with your eye level headlights, and who cares about the other car that's mangled by your oversized SUV in the case of an accident as long as your family are OK.

And I think that's the sort of response nox is mentioning.

OP - I'll throw my 2c in.

I like 4x4's and have driven a fair few. I do about 120km per day and most of the cheaper 4x4's I've driven on that journey have been pretty dire. Road holding isn't great, wind pushes you around more than a saloon and fuel consumption is pretty poor.

The only one I've enjoyed driving over that journey was the Discovery, but that was one of the very high spec ones with the air suspension and full leather - isn't going to come anywere near your budget.

For short journeys they can be great fun, but I wouldn't recommend them for longer use.

I think someone has an agenda. I don't intend to mangle anyone or blind anyone with my headlights. I was just asking for advice on buying a car.

If you don't mind take your agenda for SUV drivers elsewhere.

Ta

R.O.R wrote: »
    And I think that's the sort of response nox is mentioning.

OP - I'll throw my 2c in.

I like 4x4's and have driven a fair few. I do about 120km per day and most of the cheaper 4x4's I've driven on that journey have been pretty dire. Road holding isn't great, wind pushes you around more than a saloon and fuel consumption is pretty poor.

The only one I've enjoyed driving over that journey was the Discovery, but that was one of the very high spec ones with the air suspension and full leather - isn't going to come anywere near your budget.

For short journeys they can be great fun, but I wouldn't recommend them for longer use.

Thanks ROR for the 2c.

It seems this thread has turned into a SUV versus an estate thread which is not my question!

If I buy an SUV for 10€ what is the best one to buy?

Let's keep this civil, lads. I am aware that SUVs provoke strong feelings in people, but let's all make our points without allowing it to become personal.

Thanks ROR for the 2c.

It seems this thread has turned into a SUV versus an estate thread which is not my question!

Best thing is to tell us in as much detail as possible what you want from it. Like cars, different SUVs are good in different areas.

I think someone has an agenda. I don't intend to mangle anyone or blind anyone with my headlights. I was just asking for advice on buying a car.

If you don't mind take your agenda for SUV drivers elsewhere.

Ta

No agenda.

And people rarely intend to mangle people, accidents happen though and I feel sorry for anyone in an accident with an SUV.

No agenda.

And people rarely intend to mangle people, accidents happen though and I feel sorry for anyone in an accident with an SUV.
    The OP has been made aware of the disadvantages of SUVs for on-road use. Let's move on, now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've been looking myself recently and from what I can gather the Toyota RAV 4 D4D 2 litre is a winner.

Just need to take one for a spin.

The OP has been made aware of the disadvantages of SUVs for on-road use. Let's move on, now.

Fair enough, I just thought it silly he wasn't even considering a nice estate.

Thanks ROR for the 2c.

Nissan Terrano isn't too bad. Looked at them? Or the Hyundai suv..santa fe I think.

If I hadn't got access to a few cars for long journeys I would probably stay away from the big 4x4s like Pajeros. I drove the Terrano once and it had a bit of body roll, but it was quite nice to drive. It had leather seats too, but I thought they seemed more like plastic.

edit: x-trail not Terrano.

Nissan Terrano isn't too bad. Looked at them? Or the Hyundai suv..santa fe I think.

If I hadn't got access to a few cars for long journeys I would probably stay away from the big 4x4s like Pajeros. I drove the Terrano once and it had a bit of body roll, but it was quite nice to drive. It had leather seats too, but I thought they seemed more like plastic.

I'll have a look at the specs of the terrano alright. Looks OK too. I

f the X3 was a little cheaper I would be looking at that with interest.

I'll have a look at the specs of the terrano alright. Looks OK too. I

f the X3 was a little cheaper I would be looking at that with interest.
    There was a thread on the X3 only yesterday, have a quick search. The consensus was that it handled well, but was very uncomfortable. Do you need much space? Is engine size important? Fuel consumption? Performance? Do you do long runs? Honestly, people need far more information if they're to give you meaningful advice. So far all we know is that you want an SUV and have €10k to spend.

There was a thread on the X3 only yesterday, have a quick search. The consensus was that it handled well, but was very uncomfortable. Do you need much space? Is engine size important? Fuel consumption? Performance? Do you do long runs? Honestly, people need far more information if they're to give you meaningful advice. So far all we know is that you want an SUV and have €10k to spend.

I gave this info in my second post of this thread I think. Ill add again:
    • Decent space required
    • Engine size less than 2.5 litre
    • Journeys from Kildare to Wexford will be the furthest really
    • Comfort for my family outweighs my own comfort etc
    • Looks are pretty important too. Don't want a suzuki Jimmy for instance!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

In your budget range I'd be looking at a Rav4, X-trail or CRV. Ignore some of the crap spouted here and buy whatever you want

EPM wrote: »
    In your budget range I'd be looking at a Rav4, X-trail or CRV. Ignore some of the crap spouted here and buy whatever you want

Thanks EPM.

Subaru Forester might also be worth a look too. On the plus side, it drives very like a good car, it's quick, safe, comfortable and reliable. The downside is that it's not the biggest (fine for two adults and one baby though), and it likes a drink. Yawlboy linked to one way back in the thread, have a look and see what you think?

Subaru Forester might also be worth a look too. On the plus side, it drives very like a good car, it's quick, safe, comfortable and reliable. The downside is that it's not the biggest (fine for two adults and one baby though), and it likes a drink. Yawlboy linked to one way back in the thread, have a look and see what you think?

Thanks Anan had a look at that and to be frank I don't like the looks too much. Something about the boxiness that I don't like.

There is a volvo Jeep out there that Im gonna have a look at and I heards its top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

Freelander station wagon ?

05 one here that fits your budget and spec:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Freelander/2.0-S+-5/200948195986877/advert?channel=CARS

I don't have any experience of them myself so can't comment on them but here's a recent thread that showed them to be more reliable than expected.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791142

PS: Whatever you do I'd recommend getting the biggest boot you can get for travelling distances with babies or you will end up filling the other back seats with stuff which won't be comfortable for anyone back there. Or invest in a roof box :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Anan had a look at that and to be frank I don't like the looks too much. Something about the boxiness that I don't like.

There is a volvo Jeep out there that Im gonna have a look at and I heards its top notch.
    I thought you might say that! There are two Volvos that might suit, one is the XC70 - a raised and toughened V70 estate. It's not fantastic to drive, but it's very roomy, safe and comfortable. The other is the XC90, a conventional large SUV. It's also very safe and spacious, but I don't think you'd get a good one for €10k.

I thought you might say that! There are two Volvos that might suit, one is the XC70 - a raised and toughened V70 estate. It's not fantastic to drive, but it's very roomy, safe and comfortable. The other is the XC90, a conventional large SUV. It's also very safe and spacious, but I don't think you'd get a good one for €10k.

You've seen my type before I take it Anan!!!!

What you think of this one should I avoid at all costs:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Daewoo/Rexton/2.9-TDI-/200835189819265/advert?channel=CARS

You've seen my type before I take it Anan!!!!

What you think of this one should I avoid at all costs:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Daewoo/Rexton/2.9-TDI-/200835189819265/advert?channel=CARS
    I think i'd prefer the Volvo.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Very much so under budget!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1068330

Good SUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Daewoo Rexton esp the 2.9 is horrible really nasty ! You wont get a decent jeep for your money unless your prepared to go to 3.0 and drop a couple of years.

Landcruiser

Very much so under budget!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1068330

Good SUV.

Just been on to them and its sold.

Thanks though it looked very clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've been looking myself recently and from what I can gather the Toyota RAV 4 D4D 2 litre is a winner.

Just need to take one for a spin.

And there's the key: take (whatever you fancy) for a spin.

My SO was adamant after our last Scenic RX4, that our next car be an SUV.

Drove RX300, Rav4 (1.8 petrol), Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Tucson.

RX nice, nearest to car comfort, but, for me, uninspiring. She loved it, though (leather, auto etc etc). Big tax was the downer.
    RAV4 - unanimously hated. Tinny, noisy, cheap interior, small boot.
    Hyundai Tucson - disappointingly (for SO) noisy, uncouth, uncomfortable. Looked lovely, though.
    Kia Sorento was one we missed.
    L/Cruisers too heavy etc.

In hindsight, the RX would have been the pick of the bunch.

In the end, there was a certain estate parked beside the Tucson, and she was gobsmacked at the pace, comfort and spec. So that's what we have now.

Ironically, if we could 'undo' the last few years, we'd have kept the Scenic.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I originally suggested the RX300. It's one beauty of a SUV. OP, I think you should go see one.. you might fall in love :)

But the tax and fuel economy will break your heart :(

btw, I meant Nissan X-trail not Terrano in a previous post.

Might just have to look at the RX300. a few people here have recommended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boru05

I know you've discounted the Forrester on the basis of its looks, but perhaps the Subaru Legacy or Legacy Outback might suit you? Incredibly reliable and very safe (good craic to drive as well). They might be "jumped-up" estates but they're 4WD and a decent buy. Between myself and the rest of the family we've owned a Forrester, 2 Legacy's and 2 Outback's and over the past 14/15 years we've never had one reliablility issue, not one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

EDIT: I mean the estate version of the Legacy BTW not the saloon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement