Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying SUV - 10K

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Anyone know what the tax would be on a 3.0 litre petrol I just love jeeps guys - they Rock like ACDC

Ignore that last post gents some dude in work just got into my PC when I went to the toilet.........

Still need an answer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

the lawman wrote: »
    Anyone know what the tax would be on a 3.0 litre petrol I just love jeeps guys - they Rock like ACDC
    Here's a link:https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=motortaxrates

It's currently €1293 for a 3.0

Thats pretty extreme eh? Not sure I can justify spend four times my insurance for tax!!

Back to the drawing board. That was nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Just been on to them and its sold.

Thanks though it looked very clean.

no worries, here's another, on uk plates, would come in very reasonable when VRT'd, way way under your budget:p, big boot etc, 823pa for road tax, easy to insure etc
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1111920

Ta Irshfella I'll ring this guy.

Those Xtrails look great. Nice price too. Anyone have one or know if any use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

lawman, I forgot to add: Nissan Pathfinder. Drove that, loved it. I found it much nicer than the Landcruiser.

Being a 2.5, it's not a total heartbreaker: 700 or thereabouts, but it does mid 20's mpg.

That's another factor for you: none of the SUV's are light on juice....or tyres, come to think of it.

If you're on a budget, you'd need to think that through completely.

As for SUV's 'rocking' - that's actually one of the problems - I know a guy who bought an X5 and had to get rid of it after 3 months as his daughter kept getting sick, in the back, and subsequently changed to a..........Merc? iirc......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

I had an x-trail for a while. Not a bad yoke. You can get loads of gear into them and the passengers said they were comfy. not great to drive but a good vehicle. Watch out for a rattly sun roof. Drove me nuts.

Switched to a Kia Sorento and despite what is said on the internet- it drives better than my x-trail.

Sneaky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....but isn't the Sorenta a 2.9 ?

Another off-radar choice, which I had as a rental in Germany, and which I loved: Kia Carnival.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

2.5 Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

galwaytt wrote: »
    Being a 2.5, it's not a total heartbreaker: 700 or thereabouts, but it does mid 20's mpg.

2.5L is up around €935 for motor tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

My SUV experience:
    I had a 2000 Discovery for 4 years 200-2004, access to a Land Cruiser 2004-2009, a rental x-Trail for a few weeks, access to a 2009 Discovery, rental a BMW x3 for the weekend back in 2005. A few friends have Pathfinders.

I really liked the old Discovery, it was slow but comfortable. There were a few issues with it along the way though (put nearly 100k miles on it in 4 years), thermostat went, steering box went (€900!) & one or two minor things. The fuel economy was not too bad for the size of it. It was a TD5.
    The Land Cruiser (Commercial) was a good drive but I still preferred the old Discovery. It had a good bit more power than the old Discovery though. I can't remember anything going wrong with this one even with 110k miles being racked up by multiple drivers.
    The X-Trail is a sh!t box in comparison, it might be unfair to compare though. It felt really tinny, not really that good on the road. I could not recommend anything about it, it was bland beyond belief, if you like the blandness of Toyota Corollas then it might be for you.
    The x3 was very stiff but it didn't bother me really. I only drove 500 miles in this so not a whole lot of experience with it, the 2.0L diesel engine was actually fine in it, drove like a car with that stiffness it had. I'd say better than anything of its size.
    The new Discovery, have put 2-3k km on it do far & would be happy to drive this one forever more if it wasn't for the €2,100 road tax (which I don't have to pay. Average 28MPG. It has a crazy long service interval though. One other minor problem is that it is miles outside the budget! Rambling...Oops!

I would like to offer this beast as an option:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Discovery/GS-5-SEA/200907191836840/advert?channel=CARS

2.5 Litre, road tax: €935, high 20's for average fuel consumption. Asking €9,950

lrdisco.jpg

I have a soft spot for them.;)

The only thing is they might be tired at 90k miles, others might have experience beyond the 100k with them. There are a few advertised with 130k-150k miles on them so you could get that at least out of them?

Rebel,

To compare the X-trail to the Landcruier,Disco is not fair. Its akin to comparing a fiesta to a Modeo, Avensis and a Laguna.
    Not the same class in fairness. I do agree tho that they are boring etc.
    Still, its tick the boxes pratically for the OP, tax wise, budget wise and reliability wise. That why I recommended one.
    The ideal thing for the OP to do is up the budget to 15 or 20k and get a nice 06/07 pathfinder 2.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi NIF,
    I understand what you are saying of my comments above. I did not mean them to be of a comparing nature. I was just saying that the X-Trail is just plain bad. Some of them are only 2WD, a 2WD version to my mind gives a false sense of the ability of the vehicle. I would say it would not be the best value for the OP's €10k.
    A few of the lads have (company) Pathfinders, they have had problems with greaboxes (repalcements required, etc.), serious braking issues & excessive tyres wear due to faults in the the suspension. Otherwise they say that they are not a bad drive (when they are not in the garage). This is someone else's experience of the vehicle, I'm sure there are some on here that have better experiences.
    Here is another 2.5 diesel that is within budget:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Pajero-Sport/2.5,-End/200911192111254/advert?channel=CARS

I have no experience to mention with these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Just an idea, Hyundai have picked up quite a lot in terms of quality. I had one of these as a rental for a week (in the states), bit "spongy" but spacious and nice/comfortable. Might be worth testing one of these.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Tucson/2.0-crdi/200938195253740/advert?channel=CARS

A bit out of your range is nissan quashqai but i just wanted to mention that because of the fuel economy, was a diesel i had and i drove Galway-Dublin-Galway for 23 Euro in diesel, amazing for size of that car, that was the CRDI engine i think. I would def go for a diesel if i were you.

Thanks for all the tips guys Im continuing my search on Monday. Proving hard though.

Peace

Good luck man!

Hey guys amyone have experience with a Freelander. I have a 2006 30K miles for 9950 but my mechanic tells me to stay away as the head gasket can go early.

Not sure what to do as its low mileage and its a good price.

Any advice?

Hey guys amyone have experience with a Freelander. I have a 2006 30K miles for 9950 but my mechanic tells me to stay away as the head gasket can go early.

Not sure what to do as its low mileage and its a good price.

Any advice?

Not if you gave me one for free would I want one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Having previously had Nissan & Mitsubishi Jeeps, I now have a freelander 1. In my opinion, best of this class of SUV to drive, very comfortable, goes anywhere, plenty of room for, great BMW diesel. A lovely car but... Totally Unreliable, dealers an absolute joke. I've replaced a gearbox, dozens of sensors, rear door handle, rear window motor, fuel pump, injectors and several minor parts on an 06 vehicle (deisel). Petrol version head gasket WILL blow. Grand whilst under warranty but v.expensive otherwise. Plenty of forums discussing same.
    If you do get one, get the diesel TD4 with a warranty and find a good independant mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Having previously had Nissan & Mitsubishi Jeeps, I now have a freelander 1. In my opinion, best of this class of SUV to drive, very comfortable, goes anywhere, plenty of room for, great BMW diesel. A lovely car but... Totally Unreliable, dealers an absolute joke. I've replaced a gearbox, dozens of sensors, rear door handle, rear window motor, fuel pump, injectors and several minor parts on an 06 vehicle (deisel). Petrol version head gasket WILL blow. Grand whilst under warranty but v.expensive otherwise. Plenty of forums discussing same.
    If you do get one, get the diesel TD4 with a warranty and find a good independant mechanic.

After all that trouble, how can you possible recommend one? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Not recommending them. The salesmen will pitch all of the good points and what Ive listed above are true. If the OP decides to give it a lash he needs to know whats in store!

They had the potential to be a very good vehicle. If only they had bolted them together properly and used good quality parts

They had the potential to be a very good vehicle. If only they had bolted them together properly and used good quality parts

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

So if it wasn't so crap it would be good is the agrument here :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Dan_B wrote: »
    So if it wasn't so crap it would be good is the agrument here :confused:
    No. If it wasn't unreliable it would be good. There's a difference.

Had a look at it today and its nice inside out but the saleman was too itchy to get me on the hook. When I quizzed him on what my mechanic said he just said it was bulsh*t without explaining why it was bull.

Looking now at a Hyundai Tuscon which seriously looks good and is within my budget.

Anyone know of any hassles with the Tuscon. Irishfella will I run away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    No. If it wasn't unreliable it would be good. There's a difference.

No there isn't?, anyhow it's a mute point cos they are unreliable.

That tuscon is worth a look, Kia sportage maybe?

RAv 4

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/SUN-ROOF/200950196139550/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/D4D-5DR-/201001196412455/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Looking now at a Hyundai Tuscon which seriously looks good and is within my budget.

Anyone know of any hassles with the Tuscon. Irishfella will I run away?

We've 2 05 Tuscon's on fleet with a customer. 1 Petrol, 1 Diesel (both 2WD).

Petrol one has about 92,000km on and the only things listed on the maintenance history for it are service, tyres and tax.

Diesel one has around 73,000km on and needed a new clutch at 62,000km (about €1,000). Apart from that it's been trouble free too.

Kia Sportage is essentially the same motor with a different badge. Look to be fairly reliable, but I've never driven one. Go for whichever is the cheaper of the 2, but try to find one with leather. The standard interior is some of the worst velour I've ever seen in a car.

The Tuscon is looking more likely now to be honest. Seem reliable enough. Thanks for the PM irishfella!

Won't be buying for a couple of weeks so keep the ideas coming they're much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

The Tuscon is looking more likely now to be honest. Seem reliable enough. Thanks for the PM irishfella!

Won't be buying for a couple of weeks so keep the ideas coming they're much appreciated.

Aren't most Tucsons on Irish roads only 2WD? Seems kinda pointless to me...:confused:

Will be interesting to know what you end up buying, let us know

Maybe look at this as well, bit odd but Hondas are usually nice & reliable. Not sure if this can be gotten for 10 grand but i'm sure you can haggle. Note i have no experience with this car but it looks interesting.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Honda-FR-V-1.7-SE/211671/

Advertisement