Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more excuses....or injuries....

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Okay, have been hitting the gym very irregurlarly over the past two years. Havent gone in over 6 months. Last year was hampered by two injuries to my neck. Made a pact with myself before Christmas to take my body and fitness seriously in the new year. Injured my neck again in an accident after this pact but I finally got around to going for some cardio on Wednesday.

Stats
    Male
    5'11
    69kg

Long term goals
    Greatly improve my fitness level (its really bad atm)Build muscleImprove my flexibility

Short term goals
    Improve the strength and flexibility in my neck musclesAdd 1 inch to my bicepsRun for 20 mins without walking for some of it

Gym Wednesday
    10 mins on the bike at level 8, further 10 mins at level 12
    Did 20 mins on the treadmill, jogged for 3 mins and walked for 2 and so forth.
    Swam 15 lengths in blocks of 3 at a time.

Felt okay the next day, wasn't tired but my neck was a little tender from the swimming I think. Have a big assessment on Monday evening so I will know then how I can proceed with my fitness plan. Have a feeling that if I am allowed to weight train, I am going to be lifting really light weights becuase of my neck, or maybe using the machines first to build up my muscles in my neck again. But it is better than doing nothing at all I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Okay, havent had the time to update this so will have to make it more regular but here goes.

Fitness instructor gave me a light workout for 4 weeks to back into the swing of things.

Monday - Chest & Back
    Weds - Legs & Abs
    Fri - Shoulders & Arms

Monday 15th Jan

Had good assessment, muscles were tight but soon loosened up after some light cardio. Was afraid to lift heavier on the lat pulldown, still anxious about my neck.

10 mins cardio on the stationary bike

Chest fly
    15kg x 12
    15kg x 12
    15kg x 12

Chest Press
    25kg x 12
    25kg x 12
    29kg x 12 Had a bruised rib last year and it felt tender so i dropped the weight on the last set

Lat Pulldown
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12

Delt Row
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12

Weds 20th Jan

Felt okay when I got to the gym, but fine once I started on the machines. Did 5.5km on the bike in 9 mins today. Dont think I stretched enough though. Will make sure to stretch 30 secs each muscle next day.

Cardio - 5.5km on the stationary bike

Seated Leg Curl
    10kg x 16
    17.5kg x 16
    17.5kg x 16
    17.5kg x 16

Leg Extensions
    10kg x 16
    15kg x 16
    15kg x 16
    15kg x 16

Leg Press
    15kg x 20
    20kg x 20
    25kg x 20
    25kg x 20

Seated Calf Raise
    20kg x 6
    27.5 x 6
    27.5 x 6
    27.5 x 6

Ab Crunch Machine
    10kg x 20
    25kg x 20
    25kg x 20
    25kg x 20

Ab Planks
    6 x 10 sec - 10 sec interval between each one

Friday 22nd Jan

Was very tired today but in a good mood and looking forward to going to the gym. I have to stop letting junk food creep into my diet its getting more regular.

Shoulder Press
    7.5kg x 8
    12.5kg x 12
    12.5kg x 12
    12.5kg x 12

Upright Row
    8kg x 12
    12kg x 12
    12kg x 12
    12kg x 12

Triceps Skullcrusher
    8kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12

Triceps Pushdown
    15kg x 12
    15kg x 12
    15kg x 12 forgot warm up on this exercise

Alternate Dumbell Curls
    8kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12

Overall feeling good about my workouts. Cant wait until I can get on the free weights and really get going. I thought I would be lifting a lot lighter because of my neck so thats a positive. Need to work on my diet more and make it more solid.

I'll update the next week over the next few days.

Right, long time since I updated. No more upper body for at least 4 weeks from last Friday. Physios orders. Too much scar tissue around my shoulders and neck. So basically I am stuck doing cardio and leg machines. Not allowed use the rower either.

Was a bit annoyed at the whole thing but I'll take it as a positive and use my time in the gym to raise my fitness level.

Yesterday went back

20 mins on the bike at level 11

20 mins on the treadmill (ran for 16 mins non stop at 8.5 speed)

Back to the gym this evening after long hard physio visits. Glad its over tho. Roll on 6pm.

Monday
    20 mins on bike
    20 mins on treadmill

Only light lifting physios orders, glad to be back in the gym though.

Finally got my lazy ass back into the gym yesterday after being out of it since November.

Tuesday 1st March
    30 mins on the treadmill @ 8.5
    30 mins on the bike at 12 resistance

PB for me running non stop for 30 mins. Must be because I am not smoking cigarettes anymore. Usually get to the 12th minute and I am wheezing like someone is squeezing my windpipe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement